Newbie Help installing Editpad on Ubuntu - Debian

This is a discussion on Newbie Help installing Editpad on Ubuntu - Debian ; Hi, I'm new to Linux. Can anyone point me in the right direction installing Editpad? The file is located here... http://www.editpadpro.com/linux.html (SetupEditPadLiteFull) The help file says type the following in to a terminal... ../SetupEditPadLite That doesn't do anything I tried ...

  1. Newbie Help installing Editpad on Ubuntu

    Hi, I'm new to Linux.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction installing Editpad?

    The file is located here...

    http://www.editpadpro.com/linux.html

    (SetupEditPadLiteFull)

    The help file says type the following in to a terminal...

    ../SetupEditPadLite

    That doesn't do anything

    I tried

    ../SetupEditPadLiteFull

    That didn't work

    I tried double clicking it, still no luck

    Then I tried

    install SetupEditPadLiteLinuxFull editpad

    All that seemed to do was make a second copy called editpad

    That's about all I could think of.

    Has anyone got any advice?

  2. Re: Newbie Help installing Editpad on Ubuntu

    On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:30:07 -0700, annoyed tuna wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new to Linux.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction installing Editpad?
    >
    > The file is located here...
    >
    > http://www.editpadpro.com/linux.html
    >
    > (SetupEditPadLiteFull)
    >
    > The help file says type the following in to a terminal...
    >
    > ./SetupEditPadLite
    >
    > That doesn't do anything
    >
    > I tried
    >
    > ./SetupEditPadLiteFull
    >
    > That didn't work
    >
    > I tried double clicking it, still no luck
    >
    > Then I tried
    >
    > install SetupEditPadLiteLinuxFull editpad
    >
    > All that seemed to do was make a second copy called editpad
    >
    > That's about all I could think of.
    >
    > Has anyone got any advice?

    ../SetupEditPadLite tells it to run the script of that name in the 'current
    directory'. Do 'ls -l' in that directory and tell us what it shows.

  3. Re: Newbie Help installing Editpad on Ubuntu

    ray wrote:

    > ./SetupEditPadLite tells it to run the script of that name in the 'current
    > directory'. Do 'ls -l' in that directory and tell us what it shows.

    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ ls -l
    total 18112
    -rwxr--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 4027035 2005-12-31 15:22 Berlin - Take My
    Breath Away.mp3
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 307200 2006-06-01 18:36 divx.avi
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 ubuntu ubuntu 3773684 2006-06-01 19:07 editpad
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu ubuntu 26 2006-06-01 17:58 Examples ->
    /usr/share/example-content
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 3075 2006-03-17 06:25 README.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 2499672 2006-06-01 19:47
    SetupEditPadLite.exe
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 ubuntu ubuntu 3773684 2006-03-17 06:26
    SetupEditPadLiteLinuxFull
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 ubuntu ubuntu 4090328 2006-03-17 06:28
    SetupEditPadProLinuxDemo
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 ubuntu ubuntu 4928 2006-06-01 17:58
    ubiquity-gtkui.desktop

  4. Re: Newbie Help installing Editpad on Ubuntu

    annoyed tuna :

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> ./SetupEditPadLite tells it to run the script of that name in the 'current
    >> directory'. Do 'ls -l' in that directory and tell us what it shows.

    > -rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 2499672 2006-06-01 19:47
    > SetupEditPadLite.exe

    Well that certainly answeres the question, it's a Windows executable.
    From the website http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html:

    ---
    EditPad Lite is a general-purpose text editor, designed to be small and
    compact, yet offer all the functionality you expect from a basic text
    editor. EditPad Lite works with Windows NT4, 98, 2000, ME and XP.
    ---

    I'm afraid this wont run on your Ubuntu box very well. From the looks of
    the screenshots maybe gvim or Kedit/Gedit would do the trick for you? If
    your running Gnome, try Gedit. Foot-> Accessories-> Text Editor.
    --
    PUNK ROCK!! DISCO DUCK!! BIRTH CONTROL!!

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  5. Re: Newbie Help installing Editpad on Ubuntu

    annoyed tuna wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to Linux.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction installing Editpad?
    >
    > The file is located here...
    >
    > http://www.editpadpro.com/linux.html
    >
    > (SetupEditPadLiteFull)
    >
    > The help file says type the following in to a terminal...
    >
    > ./SetupEditPadLite
    >
    > That doesn't do anything
    >
    > I tried
    >
    > ./SetupEditPadLiteFull
    >
    > That didn't work
    >
    > I tried double clicking it, still no luck
    >
    > Then I tried
    >
    > install SetupEditPadLiteLinuxFull editpad
    >
    > All that seemed to do was make a second copy called editpad
    >
    > That's about all I could think of.
    >
    > Has anyone got any advice?

    I just installed this on my Debian box. It's a decent editor (the free
    one) but I'd still use Kate. Anyway, you need to download the linux
    version here:

    http://www.editpadpro.com/linux.html

    make sure you get the one that says editpad for linux complete, then
    extract, and run ./SetupEditPadLiteLinux and specify a directory like
    /usr/local/editpad or it will install in your /home folder

+ Reply to Thread