Do multiple desktops use up more system resources? - Debian

This is a discussion on Do multiple desktops use up more system resources? - Debian ; On the lower right-hand corner of the Gnome desktop there are four desktop icons where you can start other "desktop sessions," (not exactly sure what the proper terminology is). If I use these icons to open up different desktops, and ...

  1. Do multiple desktops use up more system resources?

    On the lower right-hand corner of the Gnome desktop there are four
    desktop icons where you can start other "desktop sessions," (not
    exactly sure what the proper terminology is).

    If I use these icons to open up different desktops, and then run
    different applications under each, is this actually using up more and
    more system resources?

    When you use ctrl-alt-F1, ctrl-alt-F2, etc, etc. to open different
    "shells" (don't know if that's the right way to use the term), and
    then run tasks in each, are those multiple sessions using up more
    system resources each time I start a new one?

  2. Re: Do multiple desktops use up more system resources?

    On 2006-05-30, Paul Martin wrote:
    > On the lower right-hand corner of the Gnome desktop there are four
    > desktop icons where you can start other "desktop sessions," (not
    > exactly sure what the proper terminology is).

    They are different desktops. I use mine to organize my work.

    > If I use these icons to open up different desktops, and then run
    > different applications under each, is this actually using up more and
    > more system resources?

    Well, you'll be using more resources as you run more apps. Do you want 4
    open windows under one desktop or 1 window each under 4 desktops? They're
    both just a click-away. Since windows can multiply and they tend to open in
    the current desktop then multiple desktops still helps me stay "organized".

    > When you use ctrl-alt-F1, ctrl-alt-F2, etc, etc. to open different
    > "shells" (don't know if that's the right way to use the term), and
    > then run tasks in each, are those multiple sessions using up more
    > system resources each time I start a new one?

    They will each use more resources as you use them. They are "sorta similar"
    to just opening a terminal program in a window on your desktop.

  3. Re: Do multiple desktops use up more system resources?

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 19:31:39 -0500, Paul Martin wrote:

    > On the lower right-hand corner of the Gnome desktop there are four desktop
    > icons where you can start other "desktop sessions," (not exactly sure what
    > the proper terminology is).

    Workspaces.

    Dan

+ Reply to Thread