Is there a 'ctl-alt-del' "task manager" for Debian Linux - Debian

This is a discussion on Is there a 'ctl-alt-del' "task manager" for Debian Linux - Debian ; Under Windows XP you can hit 'ctrl-alt-del' to bring up the task manager to view running applications and processes and see which applications are not responding (so you can shut them down). What's the right way to do this under ...

  1. Is there a 'ctl-alt-del' "task manager" for Debian Linux

    Under Windows XP you can hit 'ctrl-alt-del' to bring up the task
    manager to view running applications and processes and see which
    applications are not responding (so you can shut them down).

    What's the right way to do this under Debian Linux?

  2. Re: Is there a 'ctl-alt-del' "task manager" for Debian Linux

    Paul Martin :
    > Under Windows XP you can hit 'ctrl-alt-del' to bring up the task
    > manager to view running applications and processes and see which
    > applications are not responding (so you can shut them down).
    >
    > What's the right way to do this under Debian Linux?

    Run "top" or "ps" ("ps fax | less"). Note the process ID (PID) of the
    process, then you can "kill -HUP $PID" where $PID == the number.

    Simpler: "ps fax | grep $WHATEVER_YOU'RE_LOOKING_FOR", then "kill -HUP
    $PID".

    If it's still there after -HUP, try kill -9.

    Your user login ID won't be able to kill root owned processes, only
    your own. Instead, you'll have to login as root to affect them. Be
    careful with this. You can always "/etc/init.d/$BLAH start" them
    again, but never *expect* things to die gracefully. Hope, yes.
    Expect, no.

    Eg., what happens when you shoot mysqld in the head[*]? I'd expect
    corrupted tables. Perhaps mysqld can repair them when it restarts,
    but do you want to bet on that, with your valuable data?

    [*] I've actually worked for large corps that do this regularly.
    Instead of gracefully shutting down the db, they just shoot it in the
    head and rely on recovery routines to fix whatever corruption that
    caused. Why? I've no idea. Perhaps it's related to watching Windows
    crash regularly, and it seems able to drag itself back to life, so why
    not a db?

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292
    - - Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

  3. Re: Is there a 'ctl-alt-del' "task manager" for Debian Linux

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 00:44:54 GMT, "s. keeling"
    wrote:

    >[*] I've actually worked for large corps that do this regularly.
    >Instead of gracefully shutting down the db, they just shoot it in the
    >head and rely on recovery routines to fix whatever corruption that
    >caused. Why? I've no idea. Perhaps it's related to watching Windows
    >crash regularly, and it seems able to drag itself back to life, so why
    >not a db?

    That's so funny! My corp's "tech support" people (generally, someone
    from the mail room) come right up to our Dell desktops and yank the
    power cable right out of the back of the PC! It's so much fun
    watching this! To its credit, XP almost always comes back to life,
    none the worse.

    Thanks for your answer. So there's no GUI applet in Linux to
    accomplish the kill feature as you've explained how to do at the
    command line?

  4. Re: Is there a 'ctl-alt-del' "task manager" for Debian Linux

    On 2006-05-30, Paul Martin wrote:
    > Under Windows XP you can hit 'ctrl-alt-del' to bring up the task
    > manager to view running applications and processes and see which
    > applications are not responding (so you can shut them down).
    >
    > What's the right way to do this under Debian Linux?

    Applications > System Tools > KSysGuard

    is my favorite way

    --
    ps aux
    in a terminal

  5. Re: Is there a 'ctl-alt-del' "task manager" for Debian Linux

    Paul Martin wrote:
    > Under Windows XP you can hit 'ctrl-alt-del' to bring up the task
    > manager to view running applications and processes and see which
    > applications are not responding (so you can shut them down).
    > What's the right way to do this under Debian Linux?

    You can configure ctrl-alt-del from the console keyboard to do
    whatever you want in Debian (and LINUX).

    Now, since that will act regardless of whether or not the current
    virtual console is running X or not, or even whether or not anyone is
    logged into any virtual console when it's used, one would be well
    advised to be appropriately careful with what it does, how, and under
    what circumstances - particularly as it will execute with superuser
    ("root") privileges when executed via /etc/inittab.

    I haven't investigated what other possibilities may exist if
    ctrlaltdel isn't set in /etc/inittab (the documentation seems
    potentially a bit ambiguous on this point - e.g. is it simply passed
    along, or is it still caught and SIGINT sent to init, or both, or
    neither?)