    page tells me there's a newer version (1.5.0.3) available.

    Am I doing something wrong, or just not understanding something?

  2. Re: 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' installs and outdated version (?)

    On 2006-05-30, Paul Martin wrote:
    > I ran 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' and Sarge installed version
    > 1.04 of that software. Yet when I start the browser, Firefox's home
    > page tells me there's a newer version (1.5.0.3) available.
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong, or just not understanding something?

    Sarge is sorta old and tied up with the 2.4 kernel.
    Etch is the testing distribution but pretty stable,IMO

    http://www.debian.org/releases/

    --
    I guess it's a question of what you want

  3. Re: 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' installs and outdated version (?)

    Jimchip writes:
    > Sarge is sorta old and tied up with the 2.4 kernel.

    Sarge includes 2.6 kernels.
    --
    John Hasler

  4. Re: 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' installs and outdated version (?)

    > If you want a newer version of Firefox, you could get the version from
    > Debian unstable or from mozilla.org.

    Much better to get the backported Debian package from
    . Just add
    "deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main" to your
    /etc/apt/sources.list, do "apt-get update", and install firefox.
    --
    John Hasler

  5. Re: 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' installs and outdated version (?)

    On 2006-05-30, John Hasler wrote:
    > Jimchip writes:
    >> Sarge is sorta old and tied up with the 2.4 kernel.

    > Sarge includes 2.6 kernels.

    "sorta"

  6. Re: 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' installs and outdated version (?)

    im new to linux and i would like firefox on it so i put the code the first
    user did and its working just wondering it how do i run it??

    "Jimchip" wrote in message
    > On 2006-05-30, Paul Martin wrote:
    >> I ran 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' and Sarge installed version
    >> 1.04 of that software. Yet when I start the browser, Firefox's home
    >> page tells me there's a newer version (1.5.0.3) available.
    >>
    >> Am I doing something wrong, or just not understanding something?

    > Sarge is sorta old and tied up with the 2.4 kernel.
    > Etch is the testing distribution but pretty stable,IMO
    >
    > http://www.debian.org/releases/
    >
    > --
    > I guess it's a question of what you want

  7. Re: 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' installs and outdated version (?)

    On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:24:03 GMT, VERZION NEWS GROUP
    wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:

    > im new to linux

    So is every Linux user at first. Welcome!

    > and i would like firefox on it so i put the code the first
    > user did and its working just wondering it how do i run it??

    I don't quite understand this. Could you run it past me again with
    some punctuation and capital letters? I'm an old fart, you see, and I
    don't quite understand this young-folks' version of English.

    If you want to use a newer version of Firefox than the one included in
    Debian Stable/Sarge, I suggest a visit to .
    It's probably better for a newbie than using non-Debain-related
    installation methods.

    Alternatively, you could upgrade to Debian Testing/Etch, if you're
    willing to deal with occasional bugs. Or you could install the newly
    released Ubuntu 6.06, which is likely to be quite stable and include
    newer versions of everything.

    If you prefer KDE to Gnome, you'll want Kubuntu instead.

    By the way, please put your replies below the text you're replying to,
    not above it. It makes it easier for other people to understand
    exactly what you're talking about in context.

    PJR :-)
    --
    _ _(o)_(o)_ _ FSM: http://www.venganza.org/
    .._\`:_ F S M _:' \_, PJR: http://www.insurgent.org/~pjr/

  8. Re: 'apt-get install mozilla-firefox' installs and outdated version (?)

    I've installed firefox and it installed successfully. Now my problem is
    when i put in the command firefox it says "(firefox-bin:2552)
    :Gtk-WARNING**: cannot open display" I'm not sure what to do now?

    "Peter J Ross" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:24:03 GMT, VERZION NEWS GROUP
    > wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:
    >
    >> im new to linux

    > So is every Linux user at first. Welcome!
    >
    >> and i would like firefox on it so i put the code the first
    >> user did and its working just wondering it how do i run it??

    > I don't quite understand this. Could you run it past me again with
    > some punctuation and capital letters? I'm an old fart, you see, and I
    > don't quite understand this young-folks' version of English.
    >

    > If you want to use a newer version of Firefox than the one included in
    > Debian Stable/Sarge, I suggest a visit to .
    > It's probably better for a newbie than using non-Debain-related
    > installation methods.
    >
    > Alternatively, you could upgrade to Debian Testing/Etch, if you're
    > willing to deal with occasional bugs. Or you could install the newly
    > released Ubuntu 6.06, which is likely to be quite stable and include
    > newer versions of everything.
    >

    > If you prefer KDE to Gnome, you'll want Kubuntu instead.
    >

    > By the way, please put your replies below the text you're replying to,
    > not above it. It makes it easier for other people to understand
    > exactly what you're talking about in context.
    >
    > PJR :-)
    > --
    > _ _(o)_(o)_ _ FSM: http://www.venganza.org/
    > ._\`:_ F S M _:' \_, PJR: http://www.insurgent.org/~pjr/