PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once? - Debian

This is a discussion on PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once? - Debian ; Hi everybody, As a noob i have a minimal Debian install to fiddle arround with. Since the sytem is on another floor i tried to control it from my XP system. I installed ssh through "apt-get install ssh", fired up ...

  1. PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    Hi everybody,

    As a noob i have a minimal Debian install to fiddle arround with.
    Since the sytem is on another floor i tried to control it from my XP
    system. I installed ssh through "apt-get install ssh", fired up PuTTY
    and it worked right away....i *was* amazed how easy that went.

    The next day i tried again but got a Network failure with "connection
    refused".

    Since i'm a noob i'm completely lost, so any help is appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 00:23:06 +0200, message wrote:

    > The next day i tried again but got a Network failure with "connection
    > refused".

    It should just continue to work, and sshd should start up automatically
    after a reboot. But it sounds like sshd isn't running.

    Go to the debian box and run netstat:

    netstat -tl

    You should see a line something like:

    tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN

    This will tell you that sshd is up and running.

    Have done anything with firewalls on the debian box that might now be
    blocking ssh?

    Dan

  3. Re: PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 00:23:06 +0200, message wrote:

    > The next day i tried again but got a Network failure with "connection
    > refused".

    You might also want to confirm that you have connectivity to the debian
    box. If you don't know it's ip address, go to the debian box and type in
    'ifconfig'. From a command prompt on the xp machine, try:

    ping (ip address of debian)

    Dan

  4. Re: PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    message@usenet wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > As a noob i have a minimal Debian install to fiddle arround with.
    > Since the sytem is on another floor i tried to control it from my XP
    > system. I installed ssh through "apt-get install ssh", fired up PuTTY
    > and it worked right away....i *was* amazed how easy that went.
    >
    > The next day i tried again but got a Network failure with "connection
    > refused".
    >
    > Since i'm a noob i'm completely lost, so any help is appreciated.

    Understood. A minor point is that I'm fairly sure all versions of Debian
    install ssh by default, but do not enable it by default. You're asked
    during installation, in some modes. That probably means that it doesn't
    start by default, and needs some /etc/rc.d entries.

    Firstly, what you probably want to know is whether puTTY is 'any good'
    as a client. I've used it fairly extensively for several years and it
    seems at least as reliable as any Windows program and much better than
    most. I'd have no hesitation recommending it, and I don't think any
    other Windows ssh client comes close in popularity.

    The other installation point is that if you didn't ask for an 'expert'
    installation, quite understandably, then the installer will have found
    a DHCP server on the network and used it. This means the Debian machine
    may get a different IP address each time it boots, which will make it
    harder to locate.

    You don't mention the scale of the network, whether it is two machines
    and a router at home or part of a giant corporate system. You do need
    to make the Debian machine use a fixed IP address if it's to be a
    server, even just an ssh server. You also don't say whether you are new
    to Debian or to networking generally. If the latter, then the steps to
    give the Debian machine a fixed IP address (and ensure the DHCP server
    never gives that address to another machine) are not difficult but they
    are not trivial to explain and depend more on the DHCP server than the
    Debian machine. They depend even more on whether you are in charge of
    the network or not.

  5. Re: PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    first: try to ping that box

  6. Re: PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:51:28 +0100, Joe wrote in
    alt.os.linux.debian:

    > message@usenet wrote:
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> As a noob i have a minimal Debian install to fiddle arround with.
    >> Since the sytem is on another floor i tried to control it from my XP
    >> system. I installed ssh through "apt-get install ssh", fired up PuTTY
    >> and it worked right away....i *was* amazed how easy that went.
    >>
    >> The next day i tried again but got a Network failure with "connection
    >> refused".
    >>
    >> Since i'm a noob i'm completely lost, so any help is appreciated.
    >>

    > Understood. A minor point is that I'm fairly sure all versions of Debian
    > install ssh by default, but do not enable it by default. You're asked
    > during installation, in some modes. That probably means that it doesn't
    > start by default, and needs some /etc/rc.d entries.

    To enable the daemon, run as root

    # dpkg-reconfigure ssh

    After answering "yes" to the relevant qquestion, this should set sshd
    up automagically.

    PJR :-)
    --
    _ _(o)_(o)_ _ FSM: http://www.venganza.org/
    .._\`:_ F S M _:' \_, PJR: http://www.insurgent.org/~pjr/

  7. Re: PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    >It should just continue to work, and sshd should start up automatically
    >after a reboot. But it sounds like sshd isn't running.
    >
    >Go to the debian box and run netstat:
    >
    >netstat -tl
    >
    >You should see a line something like:
    >
    >tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN
    >
    >This will tell you that sshd is up and running.
    >

    >Have done anything with firewalls on the debian box that might now be
    >blocking ssh?
    >

    >You might also want to confirm that you have connectivity to the debian
    >box. If you don't know it's ip address, go to the debian box and type in
    >'ifconfig'. From a command prompt on the xp machine, try:
    >
    >ping (ip address of debian)

    I don't know if sshd is running automatically, with 'ps -A' i could
    only find the 'ssh-agent' in this category....shouldn't ssh/sshd be
    also in this list?
    Netstat -tl shows no 'tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN' or
    something.
    Between working and not working i haven't changed anything to the
    Debian system. In the meantime i have changed several things, all
    without succes...but i said i was fiddling....
    Ping'ing the debian system went fine, first thing i tried after not
    working anymore.

    >Understood. A minor point is that I'm fairly sure all versions of Debian
    >install ssh by default, but do not enable it by default. You're asked
    >during installation, in some modes. That probably means that it doesn't
    >start by default, and needs some /etc/rc.d entries.
    >
    >Firstly, what you probably want to know is whether puTTY is 'any good'
    >as a client. I've used it fairly extensively for several years and it
    >seems at least as reliable as any Windows program and much better than
    >most. I'd have no hesitation recommending it, and I don't think any
    >other Windows ssh client comes close in popularity.
    >
    >The other installation point is that if you didn't ask for an 'expert'
    >installation, quite understandably, then the installer will have found
    >a DHCP server on the network and used it. This means the Debian machine
    >may get a different IP address each time it boots, which will make it
    >harder to locate.
    >
    >You don't mention the scale of the network, whether it is two machines
    >and a router at home or part of a giant corporate system. You do need
    >to make the Debian machine use a fixed IP address if it's to be a
    >server, even just an ssh server. You also don't say whether you are new
    >to Debian or to networking generally. If the latter, then the steps to
    >give the Debian machine a fixed IP address (and ensure the DHCP server
    >never gives that address to another machine) are not difficult but they
    >are not trivial to explain and depend more on the DHCP server than the
    >Debian machine. They depend even more on whether you are in charge of
    >the network or not.

    Don't really know for sure, since it was minimal i assumed it wasn't
    installed. In /etc/ i have rc0 to rc6.d and rcS.d but no rc.d. In
    /etc/init.d i see ssh, does that mean it's installed?

    I trust PuTTY as well, used it a couple of times without problems.

    Since i'm anything but an expert i did the simple (dpkg-reconfigure)
    install which only asks 3 questions.....phew....hard ones..

    It's only a small home/private network, one router, 3 machines. The
    router is on default DHCP on but my XP systems have a fixed IP-address
    so the Debian one automagically gets the first available IP which has
    always been the same till now. But i keep on checking that one until
    it is fixed since i had this 'problem' before with DHCP....;(

    >To enable the daemon, run as root
    >
    > # dpkg-reconfigure ssh
    >
    >After answering "yes" to the relevant qquestion, this should set sshd
    >up automagically.

    Tried that one as well, asked the same questions when i installed it.
    Also did a /etc/init.d/ssh restart or reload after that....since it
    was 3 days ago, i'm not sure......instead of zzzzzzz's i make
    sshsshsshssh's nowadays.

    Thanks everybody for helping, i hope my replies lead to something,
    yours certainly does!

  8. Re: PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 20:55:01 +0200, Alfred wrote:

    > I don't know if sshd is running automatically, with 'ps -A' i could only
    > find the 'ssh-agent' in this category....shouldn't ssh/sshd be also in
    > this list?

    Yes.

    Looks like sshd isn't running. To start it:

    /etc/init.d/ssh start

    Make note of any error messages that may arise. Also, do a netstat or ps
    to check that it's really running afterwards. The system logs are also
    very useful.

    /var/log/messages
    /var/log/syslog

    Dan

  9. Re: PuTTY (XP) and Debian only once?

    message@usenet wrote:
    > system. I installed ssh through "apt-get install ssh", fired up PuTTY
    > and it worked right away....i *was* amazed how easy that went.
    > The next day i tried again but got a Network failure with "connection
    > refused".
    > Since i'm a noob i'm completely lost, so any help is appreciated.

    First, make sure you can ping the system from your ssh client (e.g.
    PuTTY) system.
    If that works, but you get "connection refused" when attempting an ssh
    connection, try:
    # /etc/init.d/ssh start
    If after doing that it works, it sounds like it's not configured to
    (re)start after (re)boot - that wouldn't be too surprising, as I think
    that is the default - so unless you had it ask you sufficiently
    detailed questions and answered other than the default response,
    that's probably the situation you have.
    If that's the case, do:
    # update-rc.d ssh defaults
    and then henceforeward, sshd should be automagically (re)started for
    you upon (re)boot.