Websphere Application Server Community Edition on Debian strains? - Debian

This is a discussion on Websphere Application Server Community Edition on Debian strains? - Debian ; Hey I was wondering, since IBM's download page for the WebSphere AS CE explicitly lists RedHat based distros as targets for the Linux version, if it will only work on this strain, or if it would work on Debian strains, ...

  1. Websphere Application Server Community Edition on Debian strains?

    Hey

    I was wondering, since IBM's download page for the WebSphere AS CE
    explicitly lists RedHat based distros as targets for the Linux version, if
    it will only work on this strain, or if it would work on Debian strains,
    too, such as Ubuntu? A 113 MB gzipped file of server stuff seems like a bit
    of a risk to just install on an unsupported system, so I'd like to know
    first if anyone here has any experience with this?

    Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

  2. Re: Websphere Application Server Community Edition on Debian strains?

    DanielEKFA wrote:
    > Hey
    >
    > I was wondering, since IBM's download page for the WebSphere AS CE
    > explicitly lists RedHat based distros as targets for the Linux version, if
    > it will only work on this strain, or if it would work on Debian strains,
    > too, such as Ubuntu? A 113 MB gzipped file of server stuff seems like a bit
    > of a risk to just install on an unsupported system, so I'd like to know
    > first if anyone here has any experience with this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Daniel

    nobody is going to list debian or ubuntu in the server list, as I guess
    they are not commercially supported (i believe). I have installed
    Weblogic on Debian, which is also not installed. Distros (strains in
    your language) are nothing but the way files are organized around, its
    the same linux underneath.

  3. Re: Websphere Application Server Community Edition on Debian strains?

    s a n j a y wrote:

    > DanielEKFA wrote:
    >> Hey
    >>
    >> I was wondering, since IBM's download page for the WebSphere AS CE
    >> explicitly lists RedHat based distros as targets for the Linux version,
    >> if it will only work on this strain, or if it would work on Debian
    >> strains, too, such as Ubuntu? A 113 MB gzipped file of server stuff seems
    >> like a bit of a risk to just install on an unsupported system, so I'd
    >> like to know first if anyone here has any experience with this?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Daniel

    > nobody is going to list debian or ubuntu in the server list, as I guess
    > they are not commercially supported (i believe).

    As in they can't provide customer support because they don't have qualified
    personnel for that?

    > I have installed
    > Weblogic on Debian, which is also not installed.

    I suppose you mean supported? I don't know Weblogic, is that an IBM product,
    too? And does your installation work then?

    > Distros (strains in
    > your language) are nothing but the way files are organized around, its
    > the same linux underneath.

    I know, but that can be enough to make something not work

    Thanks,
    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread