JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu) - Debian

This is a discussion on JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu) - Debian ; Hey This weird thing just happened. JPEG files are no longer "recognized" by my system. By that I mean that the thumbnails are now just a default icon, and none of my KDE applications (Gwenview, Kcolourpaint, etc.) seem to want ...

  1. JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu)

    Hey

    This weird thing just happened. JPEG files are no longer "recognized" by my
    system. By that I mean that the thumbnails are now just a default icon, and
    none of my KDE applications (Gwenview, Kcolourpaint, etc.) seem to want to
    open them. Gwenview doesn't even list them in the open file dialog. Web
    surfing still includes JPEGs, though. The problem doesn't apply to GIFs,
    PNGs etc, just the JPEGs. The Gimp doesn't complain and opens the files
    just fine. So I'm thinking this is a QT/KDE issue, since The Gimp is a GTK
    app, right? I checked in Adept to see if there was some jpeg lib missing,
    but it doesn't seem so...

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

  2. Re: JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu)

    Okay, looking a bit more on the net, I'm starting to fear that's it's some
    incompatibility with a KDE update to 3.5.2... I did that some days ago, and
    can't say for sure that JPEGs worked afterwards. Don't really remember when
    I did the update... I'm reading that you might have to compile KDE with a
    hardcoded link for the jpeg libs, is that correct? Perhaps this version
    points to an incorrect place? Anybody know how I can check that?

  3. Re: JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu)

    DanielEKFA wrote:

    > Okay, looking a bit more on the net, I'm starting to fear that's it's some
    > incompatibility with a KDE update to 3.5.2... I did that some days ago,
    > and can't say for sure that JPEGs worked afterwards. Don't really remember
    > when I did the update... I'm reading that you might have to compile KDE
    > with a hardcoded link for the jpeg libs, is that correct? Perhaps this
    > version points to an incorrect place? Anybody know how I can check that?

    No problems with them on dapper 3.5,2

  4. Re: JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu)

    Rebel Lord wrote:

    > DanielEKFA wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, looking a bit more on the net, I'm starting to fear that's it's
    >> some incompatibility with a KDE update to 3.5.2... I did that some days
    >> ago, and can't say for sure that JPEGs worked afterwards. Don't really
    >> remember when I did the update... I'm reading that you might have to
    >> compile KDE with a hardcoded link for the jpeg libs, is that correct?
    >> Perhaps this version points to an incorrect place? Anybody know how I can
    >> check that?

    > No problems with them on dapper 3.5,2

    Well, that doesn't help me :'(

    Anyway, I'm on Breezy...

  5. Re: JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu)

    Some more info... I installed kview and ran it from the console, this is
    what happened:

    daniel@tuxtop:~$ kview
    kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType:ffers : servicetype
    KImageViewer/Canvas not found
    KCrash: Application 'kview' crashing...

    Can't find a kimageviewer package... And there's no particular canvas lib
    for QT, although I have libgnomecanvas2-0 installed...

  6. Re: JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu)

    DanielEKFA wrote:

    > Rebel Lord wrote:
    >
    >> DanielEKFA wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay, looking a bit more on the net, I'm starting to fear that's it's
    >>> some incompatibility with a KDE update to 3.5.2... I did that some days
    >>> ago, and can't say for sure that JPEGs worked afterwards. Don't really
    >>> remember when I did the update... I'm reading that you might have to
    >>> compile KDE with a hardcoded link for the jpeg libs, is that correct?
    >>> Perhaps this version points to an incorrect place? Anybody know how I
    >>> can check that?

    >> No problems with them on dapper 3.5,2

    > Well, that doesn't help me :'(
    >
    > Anyway, I'm on Breezy...

    Ok but it would seem that since it works fine in dapper then it isn't
    something inherently wrong with kde 3.5.2 itself, maybe you are missing a
    library or one didn't install properly on your system.

  7. Re: JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu)

    Rebel Lord wrote:

    > DanielEKFA wrote:
    >
    >> Rebel Lord wrote:

    >>> No problems with them on dapper 3.5,2

    >> Well, that doesn't help me :'(
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm on Breezy...

    > Ok but it would seem that since it works fine in dapper then it isn't
    > something inherently wrong with kde 3.5.2 itself, maybe you are missing a
    > library or one didn't install properly on your system.

    That's what I'm thinking, but I can't figure out which one and how...

  8. Re: JPEGs no longer recognized in KDE (Kubuntu)

    DanielEKFA wrote:

    >> Ok but it would seem that since it works fine in dapper then it isn't
    >> something inherently wrong with kde 3.5.2 itself, maybe you are missing a
    >> library or one didn't install properly on your system.

    > That's what I'm thinking, but I can't figure out which one and how...

    Well a long winded way would be to go to the directory you installed
    kde352 from ie the website and then make sure that any graphic related
    library is installed by using dpkg -l |grep packagename or by just using
    apt-get install package and it will tell you.

+ Reply to Thread