My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop - Debian

This is a discussion on My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop - Debian ; Friends I have been using various flavours of Linux for the last few years and I love it ...currently using a dual-boot of Sarge and Agnula. My wife came home the other day with a brand spanking new Toshiba laptop ...

  1. My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    Friends

    I have been using various flavours of Linux for the last few years and I
    love it ...currently using a dual-boot of Sarge and Agnula.

    My wife came home the other day with a brand spanking new Toshiba laptop
    impregnated with XP which she needs for her business i.e.
    excel spreadsheet related things. I have oocalc and gnumeric on the linux
    box which are good but they have given us grief on occasions when we
    import excel spreadsheets. All the info on the imported document is there
    but the formatting is out of whack and it is too time consuming to fix it
    and in some cases I can't fix it.

    There is a spreadsheet program from the Softmaker company in Germany which
    claims that it is 100% compatible with excel.

    Is it any good ???

    Comments please.

    Also I have dug up some old games ...Myst, Riven which
    I have never been able to get working on Linux using wine ...and a few
    beers and sit up late at night enjoying them on the dreaded XP machine.

    Forget the wisecrack answers about spending too much time at the box
    playing slow games and not enough time with the missus.

    The serious question is whether I go to hell for using Microsoft again to
    play games and do spreadsheets.

    Have a good one.

  2. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    klang wrote:

    >Friends
    >
    >I have been using various flavours of Linux for the last few years and I
    >love it ...currently using a dual-boot of Sarge and Agnula.
    >
    >My wife came home the other day with a brand spanking new Toshiba laptop
    >impregnated with XP which she needs for her business i.e.
    >excel spreadsheet related things. I have oocalc and gnumeric on the linux
    >box which are good but they have given us grief on occasions when we
    >import excel spreadsheets. All the info on the imported document is there
    >but the formatting is out of whack and it is too time consuming to fix it
    >and in some cases I can't fix it.
    >
    >There is a spreadsheet program from the Softmaker company in Germany which
    >claims that it is 100% compatible with excel.
    >
    >Is it any good ???
    >
    >Comments please.
    >
    >Also I have dug up some old games ...Myst, Riven which
    >I have never been able to get working on Linux using wine ...and a few
    >beers and sit up late at night enjoying them on the dreaded XP machine.
    >
    >Forget the wisecrack answers about spending too much time at the box
    >playing slow games and not enough time with the missus.
    >
    >The serious question is whether I go to hell for using Microsoft again to
    >play games and do spreadsheets.

    no you wont. OS use is a matter of choice. Bill Gates may differ, as
    he makes it *very* difficult to buy a new laptop without his stuff all
    over it. However, if you feel so inclined, you could re-partition the
    laptop and dual boot with a flavour of linux.. seeing how you posted
    here, why not some debian?

    and while you are in there, create a data partition, (could be /home
    and point the XP user folder to it; there may be user issues however
    ...) either as dos32 or ext2. so you can access data easily from
    either OS

    ive not found any issues using MS Office files from a recent Open
    Office release. YMMV

    keith

  3. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 16:30:29 +1000, klang wrote:

    > Friends
    >
    > I have been using various flavours of Linux for the last few years and I
    > love it ...currently using a dual-boot of Sarge and Agnula.
    >
    > My wife came home the other day with a brand spanking new Toshiba laptop
    > impregnated with XP which she needs for her business i.e.
    > excel spreadsheet related things. I have oocalc and gnumeric on the linux
    > box which are good but they have given us grief on occasions when we
    > import excel spreadsheets. All the info on the imported document is there
    > but the formatting is out of whack and it is too time consuming to fix it
    > and in some cases I can't fix it.

    You don't mention which version of OO you've used on those spreadsheets.
    Was it oo2? If not, you should give it another go - oo2 is GREATLY
    improved. You might also want to give StarOffice a go before trashing the
    idea of Linux completely.

    > There is a spreadsheet program from the Softmaker company in Germany which
    > claims that it is 100% compatible with excel.
    >
    > Is it any good ???
    >
    > Comments please.
    >
    > Also I have dug up some old games ...Myst, Riven which
    > I have never been able to get working on Linux using wine ...and a few
    > beers and sit up late at night enjoying them on the dreaded XP machine.
    >
    > Forget the wisecrack answers about spending too much time at the box
    > playing slow games and not enough time with the missus.
    >
    > The serious question is whether I go to hell for using Microsoft again to
    > play games and do spreadsheets.
    >
    > Have a good one.

  4. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    klang wrote:
    > Friends
    >
    > I have been using various flavours of Linux for the last few years and I
    > love it ...currently using a dual-boot of Sarge and Agnula.
    >
    > My wife came home the other day with a brand spanking new Toshiba laptop
    > impregnated with XP which she needs for her business i.e.
    > excel spreadsheet related things. I have oocalc and gnumeric on the linux
    > box which are good but they have given us grief on occasions when we
    > import excel spreadsheets. All the info on the imported document is there
    > but the formatting is out of whack and it is too time consuming to fix it
    > and in some cases I can't fix it.
    >
    > There is a spreadsheet program from the Softmaker company in Germany which
    > claims that it is 100% compatible with excel.
    >
    > Is it any good ???
    >
    > Comments please.
    >
    > Also I have dug up some old games ...Myst, Riven which
    > I have never been able to get working on Linux using wine ...and a few
    > beers and sit up late at night enjoying them on the dreaded XP machine.
    >
    > Forget the wisecrack answers about spending too much time at the box
    > playing slow games and not enough time with the missus.
    >
    > The serious question is whether I go to hell for using Microsoft again to
    > play games and do spreadsheets.
    >
    > Have a good one.

    Hi,

    I'm not sure about the specific games mentioned, but Crossover Office
    from CodeWeavers (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/)
    provides the ability to run native M$ software on Linux.

    And its just USD 40.00...

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Vinay.

  5. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    On alt.os.linux.debian, in , "klang" wrote:

    http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

    Are you having fun talking to your own sockpuppets, dipschitt
    troll?

    Try again. The idea of a troll having a wife is so utterly
    absurd that one would think that even a troll would have
    enough brains not to post a subject like that.

    Oh. And keep your stinking punk mouth shut when you are in
    my newsreader.

    Done.

    Alan

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
    Other URLs of possible interest in my headers.

  6. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 16:10:47 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

    > On alt.os.linux.debian, in , "klang" wrote:
    >

    > http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>
    >
    > Are you having fun talking to your own sockpuppets, dipschitt
    > troll?
    >
    > Try again. The idea of a troll having a wife is so utterly
    > absurd that one would think that even a troll would have
    > enough brains not to post a subject like that.
    >
    > Oh. And keep your stinking punk mouth shut when you are in
    > my newsreader.
    >
    > Done.
    >
    > Alan

    Two trapped miners were freed from one kilometer underground after being
    trapped for two weeks ...rescued by aussies.

    Thanks for the advice Alan.

    Klang

  7. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 15:03:37 +0000, VS wrote:

    > klang wrote:
    >> Friends
    >>
    >> I have been using various flavours of Linux for the last few years and I
    >> love it ...currently using a dual-boot of Sarge and Agnula.
    >>
    >> My wife came home the other day with a brand spanking new Toshiba laptop
    >> impregnated with XP which she needs for her business i.e.
    >> excel spreadsheet related things. I have oocalc and gnumeric on the linux
    >> box which are good but they have given us grief on occasions when we
    >> import excel spreadsheets. All the info on the imported document is there
    >> but the formatting is out of whack and it is too time consuming to fix it
    >> and in some cases I can't fix it.
    >>
    >> There is a spreadsheet program from the Softmaker company in Germany which
    >> claims that it is 100% compatible with excel.
    >>
    >> Is it any good ???
    >>
    >> Comments please.
    >>
    >> Also I have dug up some old games ...Myst, Riven which
    >> I have never been able to get working on Linux using wine ...and a few
    >> beers and sit up late at night enjoying them on the dreaded XP machine.
    >>
    >> Forget the wisecrack answers about spending too much time at the box
    >> playing slow games and not enough time with the missus.
    >>
    >> The serious question is whether I go to hell for using Microsoft again to
    >> play games and do spreadsheets.
    >>
    >> Have a good one.
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm not sure about the specific games mentioned, but Crossover Office
    > from CodeWeavers (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/)
    > provides the ability to run native M$ software on Linux.
    >
    > And its just USD 40.00...
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Vinay.

    Thanks

    Yes I am aware of codeweavers but I am dread to shell out dollars.

    The games are not all that important.

    Ta

    Klang

  8. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 08:42:44 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 May 2006 16:30:29 +1000, klang wrote:
    >
    >> Friends
    >>
    >> I have been using various flavours of Linux for the last few years and I
    >> love it ...currently using a dual-boot of Sarge and Agnula.
    >>
    >> My wife came home the other day with a brand spanking new Toshiba laptop
    >> impregnated with XP which she needs for her business i.e.
    >> excel spreadsheet related things. I have oocalc and gnumeric on the linux
    >> box which are good but they have given us grief on occasions when we
    >> import excel spreadsheets. All the info on the imported document is there
    >> but the formatting is out of whack and it is too time consuming to fix it
    >> and in some cases I can't fix it.

    > You don't mention which version of OO you've used on those spreadsheets.
    > Was it oo2? If not, you should give it another go - oo2 is GREATLY
    > improved. You might also want to give StarOffice a go before trashing the
    > idea of Linux completely.
    >

    >> There is a spreadsheet program from the Softmaker company in Germany which
    >> claims that it is 100% compatible with excel.
    >>
    >> Is it any good ???
    >>
    >> Comments please.
    >>
    >> Also I have dug up some old games ...Myst, Riven which
    >> I have never been able to get working on Linux using wine ...and a few
    >> beers and sit up late at night enjoying them on the dreaded XP machine.
    >>
    >> Forget the wisecrack answers about spending too much time at the box
    >> playing slow games and not enough time with the missus.
    >>
    >> The serious question is whether I go to hell for using Microsoft again to
    >> play games and do spreadsheets.
    >>
    >> Have a good one.

    Thanks for the advice.

    Yes it is an earlier version of OO that I have been using and will
    certainly give 2 a go.

    Klang

  9. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 09:35:31 +0000, keith wrote:

    > klang wrote:
    >
    >>Friends
    >>
    >>I have been using various flavours of Linux for the last few years and I
    >>love it ...currently using a dual-boot of Sarge and Agnula.
    >>
    >>My wife came home the other day with a brand spanking new Toshiba laptop
    >>impregnated with XP which she needs for her business i.e.
    >>excel spreadsheet related things. I have oocalc and gnumeric on the linux
    >>box which are good but they have given us grief on occasions when we
    >>import excel spreadsheets. All the info on the imported document is there
    >>but the formatting is out of whack and it is too time consuming to fix it
    >>and in some cases I can't fix it.
    >>
    >>There is a spreadsheet program from the Softmaker company in Germany which
    >>claims that it is 100% compatible with excel.
    >>
    >>Is it any good ???
    >>
    >>Comments please.
    >>
    >>Also I have dug up some old games ...Myst, Riven which
    >>I have never been able to get working on Linux using wine ...and a few
    >>beers and sit up late at night enjoying them on the dreaded XP machine.
    >>
    >>Forget the wisecrack answers about spending too much time at the box
    >>playing slow games and not enough time with the missus.
    >>
    >>The serious question is whether I go to hell for using Microsoft again to
    >>play games and do spreadsheets.

    > no you wont. OS use is a matter of choice. Bill Gates may differ, as
    > he makes it *very* difficult to buy a new laptop without his stuff all
    > over it. However, if you feel so inclined, you could re-partition the
    > laptop and dual boot with a flavour of linux.. seeing how you posted
    > here, why not some debian?
    >
    > and while you are in there, create a data partition, (could be /home
    > and point the XP user folder to it; there may be user issues however
    > ..) either as dos32 or ext2. so you can access data easily from
    > either OS
    >
    > ive not found any issues using MS Office files from a recent Open
    > Office release. YMMV
    >
    > keith

    Thank you

    The best advice of all

    Cheers

    Klang

  10. Re: My Wife Just Bought an XP Laptop

    On 2006-05-11, klang wrote:
    >> I'm not sure about the specific games mentioned, but Crossover Office
    >> from CodeWeavers (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/)
    >> provides the ability to run native M$ software on Linux.

    > Yes I am aware of codeweavers but I am dread to shell out dollars.
    >
    > The games are not all that important.

    You can obtain a refund for your Microsoft Windows and use it to buy
    CrossOver Office or you can try to run Excel with Wine:

    http://appdb.winehq.com/

    seems to indicate that Excel runs under Wine.

    Piotr

+ Reply to Thread