Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted - Debian

This is a discussion on Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted - Debian ; Firstly, thanks to Bit Twister for the suggestions made in reply to my original post, they've been very helpful. Here's an overview of what's happening. LAN -> switch-> linux gateway/router -> DMZ -> ADSL2-modem/router Hosts on the lan sometimes cannot ...

  1. Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted

    Firstly, thanks to Bit Twister for the suggestions made in reply to my
    original post, they've been very helpful.

    Here's an overview of what's happening.

    LAN -> switch-> linux gateway/router -> DMZ -> ADSL2-modem/router

    Hosts on the lan sometimes cannot see the gateway and beyond.

    I've set up two linux hosts on the lan to ping around every 5 seconds.
    I've done the same in the dmz. The ping errors clearly point to the
    gateway machine on the lan side.

    Very intermittently, the gateway won't return a ping to the either of the
    lan hosts. I've also been pinging from the gateway itself, to the lan.
    Pings from the gateway to its own lan interface are okay, but not to hosts
    on the lan. Pings between other hosts on the lan are fine. So I've
    narrowed the problem down to between the gateway interface and the lan.

    The problem would appear to be either the gateway pc, the switch between
    the gateway and the lan, or the cable between the switch and the gateway.
    The thing is, I've replaced all three and still have the problem.

    So I'm starting to wonder if either the switch or the gateway can't handle
    the bandwidth?

    There's probably at most only six or seven hosts on the lan that would
    access the internet or the mail server in the dmz. The gateway is a
    pretty old pc, somewhere around 300MHz. The switch is a standard 10/100
    24 port, but all the outside world traffic does go through the one port to
    the gateway. I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem though.

    I'm running out of ideas, thanks for any suggestions.

    Dan

  2. Re: Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 17:08:30 +0800, Dan N wrote:
    > Here's an overview of what's happening.
    >
    > LAN -> switch-> linux gateway/router -> DMZ -> ADSL2-modem/router
    >
    > Hosts on the lan sometimes cannot see the gateway and beyond.
    >
    > I've set up two linux hosts on the lan to ping around every 5 seconds.
    > I've done the same in the dmz. The ping errors clearly point to the
    > gateway machine on the lan side.
    >
    > Very intermittently, the gateway won't return a ping to the either of the
    > lan hosts. I've also been pinging from the gateway itself, to the lan.
    > Pings from the gateway to its own lan interface are okay, but not to hosts
    > on the lan. Pings between other hosts on the lan are fine. So I've
    > narrowed the problem down to between the gateway interface and the lan.
    >
    > The problem would appear to be either the gateway pc, the switch between
    > the gateway and the lan, or the cable between the switch and the gateway.
    > The thing is, I've replaced all three and still have the problem.

    If you do a /ifconfig lan_ethX_here/ you would see fault counts climb if
    you have a gateway hardware problem (nic/cable for instance.)

    > So I'm starting to wonder if either the switch or the gateway can't handle
    > the bandwidth?

    Two methods come to mind. Use crossover cable to rule out switch
    and/or swap gateway box with fast lan box.

    You might consider buying a crossover cable. It is useful for testing a
    suspect system against a working system or when you do not wish to connect a
    friends system to your lan but want to see what is comming from it.

    Use crossover to hook a fast system to the gateway nic, create a script
    which loops doing a ping -c 1 gateway_ip_addy_here and test for ping failure.

    On the gateway the script pings the fast ip address.

    On the fast box, you start running more and more scripts pinging the
    gateway ip addy.

    Once you have a feel for gateway max load, you remove the loopback cable,
    insert the switch, and see if you can get back to the same load.

    If you get the same results, add a system and see if scripts start
    failing. I would expect some initial fails, maybe, but not sustained
    unless a new system is hogging the connection to the internet for no reason.
    Remember, Windows and/or AV software maybe call home for updates.

    When you get two more system on the switch and load is
    stable, make the two new system chat (ftp/pings) at each other to see
    if extra work in the switch causes test load to start faililng.
    It should not cause ping failures.

    > There's probably at most only six or seven hosts on the lan that would
    > access the internet or the mail server in the dmz. The gateway is a
    > pretty old pc, somewhere around 300MHz. The switch is a standard 10/100
    > 24 port, but all the outside world traffic does go through the one port to
    > the gateway. I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem though.

    For normal operation, I would have assumed the bottle neck of you
    internet connection speed would cause all pcs to be idling waiting for
    response back from web pages, mail servers, dns lookups,.....

    Just for fun, you can change the test load script from using ip addresses
    to using node names to see if dns affects total load.

  3. Re: Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 07:07:49 -0500, Bit Twister wrote:

    > If you do a /ifconfig lan_ethX_here/ you would see fault counts climb if
    > you have a gateway hardware problem (nic/cable for instance.)

    I did that, everything looks fine.

    > On the fast box, you start running more and more scripts pinging the
    > gateway ip addy.
    >
    > Once you have a feel for gateway max load, you remove the loopback cable,
    > insert the switch, and see if you can get back to the same load.

    I would have thought it would take a lot of scripts running to start
    causing failures. Care to hazard a guess as to how many?

    > For normal operation, I would have assumed the bottle neck of you internet
    > connection speed would cause all pcs to be idling waiting for response
    > back from web pages, mail servers, dns lookups,.....

    I would have thought so too, although it is adsl-2. There's a bit of
    traffic to the mail server in the dmz as well.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    Dan

  4. Re: Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 21:20:30 +0800, Dan N wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 May 2006 07:07:49 -0500, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> If you do a /ifconfig lan_ethX_here/ you would see fault counts climb if
    >> you have a gateway hardware problem (nic/cable for instance.)

    > I did that, everything looks fine.

    So that rules out nic and cables.

    > I would have thought it would take a lot of scripts running to start
    > causing failures.

    yup.

    > Care to hazard a guess as to how many?

    Nope, you create another scipt with a _loop_ calling the ping script.

    That way you can spin up a bunch pretty quick. Code with a command
    argument and you can do bumps of whatever you like.
    Here is a quick untested kludge called, say, loop_it

    #*****************************
    if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cnt=100
    else
    _cnt=$1
    fi

    while [ x -lt $_count ] ; do
    $HOME/ping_fn_here
    x=$(( $x + 1))
    done
    #*****************************

    ../loop_it
    ../loop_it 20
    ../loop_it 5

    >> For normal operation, I would have assumed the bottle neck of you internet
    >> connection speed would cause all pcs to be idling waiting for response
    >> back from web pages, mail servers, dns lookups,.....

    > I would have thought so too, although it is adsl-2. There's a bit of
    > traffic to the mail server in the dmz as well.

    Hmmm, why would there be a lot of mail from the lan to the dmz.

  5. Re: Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > >> For normal operation, I would have assumed the bottle neck of you internet
    > >> connection speed would cause all pcs to be idling waiting for response
    > >> back from web pages, mail servers, dns lookups,.....

    > > I would have thought so too, although it is adsl-2. There's a bit of
    > > traffic to the mail server in the dmz as well.

    > Hmmm, why would there be a lot of mail from the lan to the dmz.

    Hi Bit Twister and Dan N;
    just thought you should be aware of some "possible" other pertinent
    info, that may help you guys diagnose the issue concerning Dan N's
    problems (perhaps BT (and others) are already aware);

    see in c.o.l.n;
    http://tinyurl.com/h5fkh (direct google groups link)
    or
    MessageID : pan.2006.05.03.12.03.26.211030@localhost.localdomain

    apologies if my info in that thread was not useful in any way...and I
    sincerely hope you get all the kinks worked out. I'm just hanging back
    and learning from the pros.

    btw - i had to drop the c.o.l entry in the [TO:] header in this
    "multi-newsgroup" posting, because google stinks.

    Regards

  6. Re: Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted

    On 6 May 2006 14:53:04 -0700, iforone wrote:
    > Hi Bit Twister and Dan N;
    > just thought you should be aware of some "possible" other pertinent
    > info, that may help you guys diagnose the issue concerning Dan N's
    > problems (perhaps BT (and others) are already aware);
    >
    > see in c.o.l.n;
    > http://tinyurl.com/h5fkh (direct google groups link)
    > or
    > MessageID : pan.2006.05.03.12.03.26.211030@localhost.localdomain
    >
    > apologies if my info in that thread was not useful in any way...and I

    If so it would help, not hinder.
    That would free up packet band width when Windows gives up.

    Dan has indicated the linux lan box looses ping packets on and off
    between it and the gateway with no pattern seen so far.

    I hope Dan comes back with the solution.

  7. Re: Strange Network Behaviour- Revisted -- NetBIOS / DHCP crud?

    iforone wrote:
    > ...A simple [ipconfig /release /renew] does no good at all. I've
    > had completely disabled NetBIOS, for years (via binding TCP/IP to
    > NetBEUI instead of NetBIOS, as per www.grc.com (steve gibson)
    > instructions).....

    Just to clarify - I said that wrong...I mean via binding either Client
    for MS Networks, Windows Family Logon, File and Print sharing to
    NetBEUI (which is a non-routable protocol)...explained much better
    here;
    http://www.grc.com/su-bondage.htm
    and the following page....there's a graphic showing the connections
    explicitly

+ Reply to Thread