install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox - Debian

  1. install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    I've got a 'KHypermedia" 52x24x52 Seamless Link CD-RW drive.
    I've triple checked all connections, it's connected as master device on the
    secondary IDE cable. IDE cable is new, power is connected and available
    because on boot the drive light flashes a few times and when I hit the
    eject button the tray opens and closes normally.

    I've tried putting it as slave on the primary IDE (in place of an older 24x
    Cd-Rom).

    In every case, the system apparently cannot see it and all attempts to mount
    it fail:

    debian:/# mount /media/cdrom1
    mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist

    On another note, what's the best way to get firefox installed?
    I tried first with apt-get:

    debian:/# apt-get install firefox
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    that package should be filed.

    The following packages have unmet dependencies.
    firefox: Depends: libxfixes3 but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    debian:/#

    I figured. 'ok, get that first then so the dependency will be met'
    apt-get install libxfixes3 ends up resulting in:

    The following packages have unmet dependencies.
    libxfixes3: PreDepends: x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0) but it is not going to be
    installed

    Taking it a step further and attempting to install x11-common first results
    in a rather overwhelming output that looks to my inexperienced eye like
    it's going to upgrade a lot of things, install several new things, and
    remove a lot of things, among the things being removed it looks like MOST
    of the KDE desktop components.

    To be honest, All I wanted was to install the Firefox browser and hopefully
    to do it the 'right' way by using a package management tool like apt-get or
    synaptic, especialy since I haven't seen binary intallers since leaving
    windoze behind. Gutting the system is not something I had in mind.
    'sides, I'm just starting to get used to KDE and this thing looks like it
    wants to remove it.

    (BTW- trying with synaptic to install Firefox resulted in a similarly long
    list of changes. I'm still fairly new to linux and this is just plain too
    much at once.)

    debian:/# apt-get install x11-common
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    gconf2 gconf2-common gnome-about gnome-desktop-data gnome-games
    gnome-games-data gnome-keyring gnome-menus gnome-panel gnome-panel-data
    kdeartwork-emoticons kdeartwork-misc kdelibs-data libartsc0 libasound2
    libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
    libavahi-compat-howl0
    libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libcamel1.2-6 libcdio6
    libcroco3 libcupsys2 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libdbus-1-2 libdbus-glib-1-2
    libdmx1 libdrm2 libebook1.2-5 libecal1.2-3 libedataserver1.2-4
    libedataserverui1.2-6 libegroupwise1.2-8 libfontenc1 libgconf2-4
    libgl1-mesa-glx libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-menu2
    libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomevfs2-0
    libgnomevfs2-common
    libgnutls13 libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libhal-storage1 libhal1 libice6
    libjack0.100.0-0 liblua50 liblualib50 libogg0 libpanel-applet2-0
    libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libselinux1
    libsepol1 libsm6 libsoup2.2-8 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2 libvorbisfile3
    libwnck18 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxaw7 libxdmcp6 libxext6
    libxfixes3
    libxfont1 libxi6 libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxp6 libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxres1
    libxslt1.1 libxt6 libxtrap6 libxtst6 libxv1 libxxf86vm1 python-glade2
    python-gmenu python2.3-cairo python2.3-glade2 python2.3-gtk2
    python2.3-numeric xbitmaps xcursor-themes xkb-data xlibs xlibs-data
    xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
    xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse
    xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark
    xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
    xserver-xorg-video-cyrix xserver-xorg-video-dummy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
    xserver-xorg-video-glint xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740
    xserver-xorg-video-i810 xserver-xorg-video-imstt xserver-xorg-video-mga
    xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-newport
    xserver-xorg-video-nsc xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-rendition
    xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage
    xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis
    xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-tga
    xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng
    xserver-xorg-video-vesa
    xserver-xorg-video-vga xserver-xorg-video-via xserver-xorg-video-vmware
    xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
    Suggested packages:
    gnome-system-tools kworldclock libasound2-plugins libgnomevfs2-bin
    gnutls-bin ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-thryomanes ttf-baekmuk
    ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gkai00mp
    ttf-arphic-bkai00mp librsvg2-bin python-numeric-tutorial gsynaptics
    ksynaptics qsynaptics
    Recommended packages:
    gnome-games-extra-data libgnomevfs2-extra gamin jackd x-ttcidfont-conf
    xkeyboard-config
    The following packages will be REMOVED
    ark artsbuilder dcoprss gdm gksu juk kaboodle kaddressbook kalarm kamera
    kandy kappfinder karm kate kaudiocreator kcalc kcharselect kcmlinuz
    kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdat kde-core kdeadmin kdeadmin-kfile-plugins
    kdeartwork kdeartwork-style kdeartwork-theme-window kdebase kdebase-bin
    kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs
    kdelibs-bin kdelibs4 kdelirc kdemultimedia kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data
    kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork
    kdenetwork-filesharing kdepasswd kdepim kdepim-kfile-plugins
    kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdeutils kdf
    kdict kdvi kedit kfax kfind kfloppy kgamma kget kghostview kgpg
    khelpcenter
    khexedit kicker kiconedit kitchensync kjots klaptopdaemon kleopatra
    klipper
    kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmid kmilo kmix kmrml knewsticker knode knotes
    kolourpaint konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole konsolekalendar kontact
    kooka kopete korganizer korn kpackage kpager kpdf kpersonalizer kpf kpilot
    kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec kregexpeditor krfb kruler kscd kscreensaver
    kscreensaver-xsavers ksim ksirc ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksync
    ksysguard ksysv ktimer ktip ktnef kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell
    kwalletmanager kwifimanager kwin libarts1-mpeglib libarts1-xine libdps1
    libgksu1.2-0 libgksuui1.0-0 libgle3 libkcal2a libkcddb1 libkdenetwork2
    libkdepim1 libkgantt0 libkleopatra0a libkonq4 libkpimexchange1
    libkpimidentities1 libkscan1 libksieve0 librss1 libxft1 libxine1 mpeglib
    nethack-x11 noatun secpolicy x-window-system-core xbase-clients
    xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xfree86-common
    xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-gl xlibmesa-glu xscreensaver-gl xserver-common
    xserver-xfree86 xutils
    The following NEW packages will be installed
    gconf2-common gnome-menus kdeartwork-emoticons libavahi-client3
    libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libavahi-compat-howl0 libavahi-glib1
    libcamel1.2-6 libcdio6 libcupsys2 libdbus-1-2 libdbus-glib-1-2 libdmx1
    libdrm2 libebook1.2-5 libecal1.2-3 libedataserver1.2-4
    libedataserverui1.2-6
    libegroupwise1.2-8 libfontenc1 libgl1-mesa-glx libgnome-menu2 libgnutls13
    libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libhal-storage1 libhal1 libjack0.100.0-0
    liblua50 liblualib50 libsepol1 libsoup2.2-8 libwnck18 libx11-data libxau6
    libxdmcp6 libxfixes3 libxfont1 libxres1 libxxf86vm1 python-glade2
    python-gmenu python2.3-cairo python2.3-glade2 python2.3-gtk2
    python2.3-numeric x11-common xbitmaps xcursor-themes xkb-data
[...]
    gconf2 gnome-about gnome-desktop-data gnome-games gnome-games-data
    gnome-keyring gnome-panel gnome-panel-data kdeartwork-misc kdelibs-data
    libartsc0 libasound2 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libcroco3
    libcupsys2-gnutls10 libgconf2-4 libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome-keyring0
    libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomevfs2-0
    libgnomevfs2-common
    libice6 libogg0 libpanel-applet2-0 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common
    librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libselinux1 libsm6 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
    libvorbisfile3 libx11-6 libxaw7 libxext6 libxi6 libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxp6
    libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxslt1.1 libxt6 libxtrap6 libxtst6 libxv1 xlibs
    xlibs-data
    51 upgraded, 92 newly installed, 165 to remove and 366 not upgraded.
    Need to get 41.5MB of archives.
    After unpacking 273MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.
    debian:/#

  2. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:42:37 -0500, Edward Langenback wrote:

    > debian:/# mount /media/cdrom1
    > mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist

    Try 'dmesg|grep cdrom'

    Does it see the cdrom? It found the cdrom on the install?

    > On another note, what's the best way to get firefox installed?
    > I tried first with apt-get:

    What release are you using?

    Try
    apt-get update
    apt-get install mozilla-firefox

    > Taking it a step further and attempting to install x11-common first results
    > in a rather overwhelming output that looks to my inexperienced eye like
    > it's going to upgrade a lot of things, install several new things, and
    > remove a lot of things, among the things being removed it looks like MOST
    > of the KDE desktop components.

    What have you installed?

    Have you installed x-window-system or xorg?

    After I installed I had to apt-get upgrade or dist upgrade right away. My
    halt command, as well as a few others, didn't work until I upgraded. But
    that depends on how you installed. I used a netinstall cd with the base
    system.

    Steve

  3. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    Edward Langenback wrote:
    > [...]
    > debian:/# mount /media/cdrom1
    > mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist

    You didn't say what kernel version you are using, but for 2.4.x, your
    CD-ROM might be /dev/sr0 (or /media/cdrom0).

    Follow SteveSch's advice to find the actual device name, so that you can
    be sure.

    > On another note, what's the best way to get firefox installed? [...]

    Download the latest release version from the mozilla web site and
    install that.

  4. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    Thanks for taking the time to answer newbie questions..

    SteveSch wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:42:37 -0500, Edward Langenback wrote:
    >
    >> debian:/# mount /media/cdrom1
    >> mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist

    > Try 'dmesg|grep cdrom'
    >
    > Does it see the cdrom? It found the cdrom on the install?

    No. It's finding hdb (the 24x cd-rom) allright, but
    nothing in dmesg's output refers to hdc which should be the cd-rw.

    >> On another note, what's the best way to get firefox installed?
    >> I tried first with apt-get:

    > What release are you using?

    presuming you mean what release of debian... 3.1 r0a "Sarge" which was the
    current 'stable' release when I downloaded the CD

    > Try
    > apt-get update
    > apt-get install mozilla-firefox

    That got firefox 1.0.4 working... thanks

    >> Taking it a step further and attempting to install x11-common first
    >> results in a rather overwhelming output that looks to my inexperienced
    >> eye like it's going to upgrade a lot of things, install several new
    >> things, and remove a lot of things, among the things being removed it
    >> looks like MOST of the KDE desktop components.

    > What have you installed?

    I started by choosing the 'desktop' package when instaling from the CD.
    That seems to have installed both Gnome and KDE desktop environs. I mostly
    use KDE, but once in a while Gnome seems better suited.

    > Have you installed x-window-system or xorg?

    if you mean /etc/X11, yes.

    > After I installed I had to apt-get upgrade or dist upgrade right away. My
    > halt command, as well as a few others, didn't work until I upgraded. But
    > that depends on how you installed. I used a netinstall cd with the base
    > system.
    >
    > Steve

    - From what you've said and what I've seen googleing around, in order to use
    the latest firefox build (1.0.5.2), I'd apparently have to do some serious
    upgrading.

    What's the best way to upgrade? edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to etch
    or sid instead of sarge and then apt-get dist-upgrade?

  5. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

  6. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    apostle@pokynet.com wrote:

    > Sumo Wrestler (or just ate too much) wrote:
    >
    > > Edward Langenback wrote:
    > >> [...]
    > >> debian:/# mount /media/cdrom1
    > >> mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist
    > >>

    > > You didn't say what kernel version you are using, but for 2.4.x, your
    > > CD-ROM might be /dev/sr0 (or /media/cdrom0).

    > using the 2.6.8-2-386 kernel, the cd-rom shows up as /dev/hdb
    > (or /media/cdrom0), I figured that the cd-rw would appear as /dev/hdc
    > (or /media/cdrom1)
    >

    > > Follow SteveSch's advice to find the actual device name, so that you can
    > > be sure.
    > >
    > >> On another note, what's the best way to get firefox installed? [...]

    > > Download the latest release version from the mozilla web site and
    > > install that.

    Does your BIOS see the CDRW (hdc) ? That *must* recognize the drive
    first ....Ensure you have selected "AUTO" under "IDE Configuration" for
    the Secondary Master (/dev/hdc) in the BIOS. BTW - I never heard of
    'KHyperwhatever' ...lol

    I'm running;
    ~$ uname -a
    Linux sarge 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Tue Aug 16 12:46:35 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

    No problems with CD/DVD R/RW detection;
    ~$ cat /etc/fstab
    #
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdc1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
    1
    /dev/hdc5 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hdb /media/cdrom1 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

    dmesg not showing anything related to hdc ?
    ~$ dmesg | grep -i hd

    Your CDRW is not a SATA drive...is it ?

  7. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    iforone wrote:
    > dmesg not showing anything related to hdc ?
    > ~$ dmesg | grep -i hd
    >
    > Your CDRW is not a SATA drive...is it ?

    Oh yeah...a few more things;
    Make sure you have the drive "jumpered" properly.
    MA = Master
    SL = Slave
    Csel = Cable Select

    I believe the question related to X11 is are you using "Xorg" or
    "Xfree86"...your kernel version would seem to make it Xfree86 - the
    corresponding Config file for XFree86 is;
    ~$ /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    Precede above command with 'cat' - or 'less' is actually better to view
    it from a console.

    If for some reason you need to reconfigure the Display (using xfree86
    and although I don't see why...or I missed it)..use 'dpkg-reconfigure
    xserver-xfree86' from console as root.

  8. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    iforone wrote:
    > iforone wrote:
    > > dmesg not showing anything related to hdc ?
    > > ~$ dmesg | grep -i hd
    > >
    > > Your CDRW is not a SATA drive...is it ?

    > Oh yeah...a few more things;
    > Make sure you have the drive "jumpered" properly.
    > MA = Master
    > SL = Slave
    > Csel = Cable Select
    >
    > I believe the question related to X11 is are you using "Xorg" or
    > "Xfree86"...your kernel version would seem to make it Xfree86 - the
    > corresponding Config file for XFree86 is;
    > ~$ /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    > Precede above command with 'cat' - or 'less' is actually better to view
    > it from a console.
    >
    > If for some reason you need to reconfigure the Display (using xfree86
    > and although I don't see why...or I missed it)..use 'dpkg-reconfigure
    > xserver-xfree86' from console as root.

    whoops - Just because I now see you posted "Xorg" stuff earlier;

    [ snippit of earlier post by the OP ]

    > debian:/# apt-get install x11-common
    > Reading package lists... Done

    (my comments)
    If you wanted to install X11 (Xfree86 style), I think instead of
    X11-common, you would use as root;
    ~$ apt-get install x-window-system-core
    (/my comments)

    > xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
    > xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse
    > xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    > xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark
    > xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
    > xserver-xorg-video-cyrix xserver-xorg-video-dummy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
    > xserver-xorg-video-glint xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740
    > xserver-xorg-video-i810 xserver-xorg-video-imstt xserver-xorg-video-mga
    > xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-newport
    > xserver-xorg-video-nsc xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-rendition
    > xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage

    [ /snippit of earlier post by the OP]

    see this for *both* Xorg -or- Xfree86;
    http://www.mepislovers-wiki.org/inde...e_xserver-xorg

  9. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:46:27 -0500, apostle@pokynet.com wrote:

    > What's the best way to upgrade? edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to etch
    > or sid instead of sarge and then apt-get dist-upgrade?

    Exacatly, maybe use "aptitude dist-upgrade" instead of apt-get;
    aptitude is assumed to do a better dependency handling.

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/

  10. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:46:27 -0500, apostle wrote:

    > Thanks for taking the time to answer newbie questions..

    We were all there at least once.;-)

    >> Does it see the cdrom? It found the cdrom on the install?

    > No. It's finding hdb (the 24x cd-rom) allright, but
    > nothing in dmesg's output refers to hdc which should be the cd-rw.

    As iforone said, check your BIOS. When your computer first turns on,
    before it boots, press the delete key, or whatever you need to-to enter
    the BIOS. Check to see if the computer shows both the cdrom and the cdrw.

    Assuming the BIOS shows both drives.

    Also from iforone. Type

    cat /etc/fstab

    in a terminal window.

    It should show BOTH cdrom drives.

    You might also try unhooking the cdrom and just use the cdrw alone as
    master.

    It is possible the cdrw is bad. I had one go bad. Don't really remember
    what it did but it took me a while to figure it out.

    Are your jumper settings set for cable select or master/slave? I had a
    system that didn't like the cable select settings but worked perfect with
    the master/slave.

    > presuming you mean what release of debian... 3.1 r0a "Sarge" which was
    > the current 'stable' release when I downloaded the CD

    After you installed from cd did you do an

    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

    to get the latest packages from the server?

    > That got firefox 1.0.4 working... thanks

    No problem.

    Type

    apt-get -f install

    and post the results.

    > What's the best way to upgrade? edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to
    > etch or sid instead of sarge and then apt-get dist-upgrade?

    I had testing in my sources when sarge went stable. I automatically, using
    apt-get, went to etch. Etch doesn't have K3b, or at least it didn't, so I
    just went to sid. I have had very good luck with it on 2 machines. One
    running xorg and the other xree86. My main machine uses xfree86 and I use
    it every day for business, and to answer newsgroups. LOL

    I added a dvd drive to one of my machines. After you get a clue it takes
    about 5 minutes to get it working. I only had 1/2 a clue so it actually
    took me 10 minutes.

    Hang in there. It is worth it.

    Steve

  11. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    SteveSch wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:46:27 -0500, apostle wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for taking the time to answer newbie questions..

    > We were all there at least once.;-)
    >
    >>> Does it see the cdrom? It found the cdrom on the install?

    >> No. It's finding hdb (the 24x cd-rom) allright, but
    >> nothing in dmesg's output refers to hdc which should be the cd-rw.

    > As iforone said, check your BIOS. When your computer first turns on,
    > before it boots, press the delete key, or whatever you need to-to enter
    > the BIOS. Check to see if the computer shows both the cdrom and the cdrw.

    nope, BIOS not showing the cd-rw.. I checked the ASUS site looking for a
    bios upgrade for tx97-xv (rev 1.3) and found upgrades for several other
    flavors of tx97-??, but not this one.

    snip

    > It is possible the cdrw is bad. I had one go bad. Don't really remember
    > what it did but it took me a while to figure it out.

    it's good, works fine in another machine.

    > Are your jumper settings set for cable select or master/slave? I had a
    > system that didn't like the cable select settings but worked perfect with
    > the master/slave.

    in the other machine it's set as slave on primary ide and works

    >> presuming you mean what release of debian... 3.1 r0a "Sarge" which was
    >> the current 'stable' release when I downloaded the CD

    > After you installed from cd did you do an
    >
    > apt-get update
    > apt-get upgrade
    >
    > to get the latest packages from the server?

    no, I didn't know to do that until now. I'll have to do that tonight.

    snip

    > I added a dvd drive to one of my machines. After you get a clue it takes
    > about 5 minutes to get it working. I only had 1/2 a clue so it actually
    > took me 10 minutes.
    >
    > Hang in there. It is worth it.

    yeah, I think my main problem is a mobo circa 1997 with an equally aincient
    Phoenix BIOS that ASUS has apparently seen fit not to update.

  12. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:11:16 -0500, apostle wrote:

    > nope, BIOS not showing the cd-rw.. I checked the ASUS site looking for a
    > bios upgrade for tx97-xv (rev 1.3) and found upgrades for several other
    > flavors of tx97-??, but not this one.

    Then Linux won't see it either. I'd double check the jumper settings
    again. Some drives have a master with slave setting and a master setting.
    Try them both on cable select.

    > in the other machine it's set as slave on primary ide and works

    But in the machine they don't work in, are they set as master/slave?

    > no, I didn't know to do that until now. I'll have to do that tonight.

    The packages on the server are usually newer than on a cd.

    > yeah, I think my main problem is a mobo circa 1997 with an equally
    > aincient Phoenix BIOS that ASUS has apparently seen fit not to update.

    It should still easily see both drives.

    Does this machine see the cdrw if you remove the cdrom?

    If the cdrw is the only cdrom drive in the machine, and is set to master,
    can you boot the computer from the cdrw?

    In the BIOS there is a manual setting and an automatic setting for the
    ide. There is also a disable setting. Make sure all 4 are on automatic.

    Try switching the drives. Make the cdrom slave and the cdrw master or
    visa-versa.

    As far as I know it can only be

    Bad, or wrong, cable. Try cable from another machine.

    Jumper settings conflicting.

    CDROM or CDRW drive bad.

    Loose, bad or wrong connection. The master drive should be plugged into
    the end connector, not the middle one.

    MB Bug. I googled and didn't see any MB reports.

    BIOS not setup correctly. Page 45 in the manual shows the IDE channels
    set to auto.

    P/S weak?

    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...mpering-c.html
    I would go to a hardware forum and ask what they think.

  13. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 08:11:32 -0600, SteveSch wrote:

    <>
    > http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...mpering-c.html
    > I would go to a hardware forum and ask what they think.

    Now if I can just NOT hit the ctrl key while I'm typing. It seems to send
    the message before I'm ready.

    Anyway good luck and let us know when you get it fixed.

    Steve

  14. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox -X Window Specific

    iforone wrote:
    > > > dmesg not showing anything related to hdc ?
    > > > ~$ dmesg | grep -i hd
    > > >
    > > > Your CDRW is not a SATA drive...is it ?

    > > Oh yeah...a few more things;
    > > Make sure you have the drive "jumpered" properly.
    > > MA = Master
    > > SL = Slave
    > > Csel = Cable Select
    > >
    > > I believe the question related to X11 is are you using "Xorg" or
    > > "Xfree86"...your kernel version would seem to make it Xfree86 - the
    > > corresponding Config file for XFree86 is;
    > > ~$ /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    > > Precede above command with 'cat' - or 'less' is actually better to view
    > > it from a console.
    > >
    > > If for some reason you need to reconfigure the Display (using xfree86
    > > and although I don't see why...or I missed it)..use 'dpkg-reconfigure
    > > xserver-xfree86' from console as root.

    > whoops - Just because I now see you posted "Xorg" stuff earlier;
    >
    > [ snippit of earlier post by the OP ]
    >
    > > debian:/# apt-get install x11-common
    > > Reading package lists... Done

    > (my comments)
    > If you wanted to install X11 (Xfree86 style), I think instead of
    > X11-common, you would use as root;
    > ~$ apt-get install x-window-system-core
    > (/my comments)
    >
    > > xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
    > > xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse
    > > xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    > > xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark

    [snipped]
    > [ /snippit of earlier post by the OP]
    >
    > see this for *both* Xorg -or- Xfree86;
    > http://www.mepislovers-wiki.org/inde...e_xserver-xorg

    Hi - while looking around my box for info on Exim4, I happened upon
    this Directory;
    ~$ /var/backups
    within this Dir is a file relating to Dpkg cache -->
    /var/backups/dpkg.status.0
    This is a Plain text document, and easily readable - within is some
    info about X (and all the installed packges);

    This is on Debian Sarge (2.6.8-2) w/both KDE (3.3.2) and Gnome -- I'm
    posting this info in case I made some errors above about *which*
    packages you may need/want...and NOTE; these packages are NOT for Xorg
    - I have no Xorg stuff. I believe Xorg is just like below but replaces
    XFree86, and comes as Default with Newer 2.6 Kernel versions than the
    one I have
    ~$ /var/backups/dpkg.status.0

    Package: xserver-common

    Section: x11
    Installed-Size: 992
    Maintainer: Debian X Strike Force
    Architecture: i386
    Source: xfree86
    Version: 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1
    Replaces: xbase (<< 3.3.2.3a-2), xserver-vga16 (<< 3.3.2.3a-2),
    xserver-agx (<< 3.3.2.3a-9), xserver-mach32 (<< 3.3.2.3a-9),
    xserver-mach64 (<< 3.3.2.3a-9), xserver-p9000 (<< 3.3.2.3a-9),
    xserver-s3 (<< 3.3.2.3a-9), xserver-s3v (<< 3.3.2.3a-9), xserver-tga
    (<< 3.3.2.3a-9), xserver-w32 (<< 3.3.2.3a-9), xsun-utils
    Depends: debconf (>= 1.0.21), xfree86-common (>= 4.2.1-5), libc6 (>=
    2.3.2.ds1-21), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0
    Suggests: xserver-xfree86 | xserver, xfonts-base, xfonts-100dpi |
    xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-scalable, configlet-frontends
    Conflicts: xbase (<< 3.3.2.3a-2), xsun-utils, xbase-clients (<<
    3.3.6-1), suidmanager (<< 0.50), configlet (<= 0.9.22),
    python-configlet (<< 2.0), xserver-3dlabs (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-8514
    (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-agx (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-common-v3 (<<
    3.3.6-35), xserver-fbdev (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-i128 (<< 3.3.6-35),
    xserver-mach32 (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-mach64 (<< 3.3.6-35),
    xserver-mach8 (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-mono (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-p9000
    (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-s3 (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-s3v (<< 3.3.6-35),
    xserver-svga (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-tga (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-vga16
    (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-w32 (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-xsun (<< 3.3.6-35),
    xserver-xsun-mono (<< 3.3.6-35), xserver-xsun24 (<< 3.3.6-35),
    xserver-rage128, xserver-sis, xserver-xfree86 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-5),
    xserver-xfree86 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6), xserver-xfree86-dbg (=
    4.3.0.dfsg.1-5), xserver-xfree86-dbg (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6)
    Conffiles:
    /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy 5e63f298721bdd4062d3c66967df99ba
    The X server is the hardware interface of the X Window System. Its
    job is to
    communicate with video display and input devices, and present them in
    standardized, abstract fashion via the X protocol to X clients
    (X-based
    programs). The X server largely relieves programs of having to know
    or care
    about the details of the hardware with which they are interacting
    (such
    things as 32-bit versus 8-bit color, the layout of the keyboard, how
    many
    buttons the mouse has, etc.). The catch is that the X server must
    itself
    know the technical specifications of the graphics hardware and
    monitor, the
    keyboard layout, the protocol used by the mouse, and so forth.

  15. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    SteveSch wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:11:16 -0500, apostle wrote:
    >
    > > nope, BIOS not showing the cd-rw.. I checked the ASUS site looking for a
    > > bios upgrade for tx97-xv (rev 1.3) and found upgrades for several other
    > > flavors of tx97-??, but not this one.

    > Then Linux won't see it either. I'd double check the jumper settings
    > again. Some drives have a master with slave setting and a master setting.
    > Try them both on cable select.
    >
    > > in the other machine it's set as slave on primary ide and works

    > But in the machine they don't work in, are they set as master/slave?
    >
    > > no, I didn't know to do that until now. I'll have to do that tonight.

    > The packages on the server are usually newer than on a cd.
    >
    > > yeah, I think my main problem is a mobo circa 1997 with an equally
    > > aincient Phoenix BIOS that ASUS has apparently seen fit not to update.

    > It should still easily see both drives.
    >
    > Does this machine see the cdrw if you remove the cdrom?
    >
    > If the cdrw is the only cdrom drive in the machine, and is set to master,
    > can you boot the computer from the cdrw?
    >
    > In the BIOS there is a manual setting and an automatic setting for the
    > ide. There is also a disable setting. Make sure all 4 are on automatic.
    >
    > Try switching the drives. Make the cdrom slave and the cdrw master or
    > visa-versa.
    >
    > As far as I know it can only be
    >
    > Bad, or wrong, cable. Try cable from another machine.
    >
    > Jumper settings conflicting.
    >
    > CDROM or CDRW drive bad.
    >
    > Loose, bad or wrong connection. The master drive should be plugged into
    > the end connector, not the middle one.
    >
    > MB Bug. I googled and didn't see any MB reports.
    >
    > BIOS not setup correctly. Page 45 in the manual shows the IDE channels
    > set to auto.
    >
    > P/S weak?
    >
    > http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...mpering-c.html
    > I would go to a hardware forum and ask what they think.

    PSU weak ? is what Steve means :-)

    I agree with much of his advice as well ....
    Also - Make certain you have the absolute latest BIOS possible..Heck -
    even ReFlash it if necessary -- I think you may either have
    UnSerialized IDE Controllers (If they are even Busmaster) which they
    should be, even in 1997. But there's also an "IDE Controller" setting
    usually somewhere in BIOS for "Use BOTH Channels" <-- Make sure that's
    SET (not Default). Does ANY IDE Device work on that Buggy(?) IDE
    Channel ?

  16. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    SteveSch wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 May 2006 08:11:32 -0600, SteveSch wrote:
    >
    > <>
    > > http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...mpering-c.html
    > > I would go to a hardware forum and ask what they think.

    > Now if I can just NOT hit the ctrl key while I'm typing. It seems to send
    > the message before I'm ready.
    >
    > Anyway good luck and let us know when you get it fixed.
    >
    > Steve

    Boy , whew - Talk about not being able to complete a thought :-)
    ......you ain't kiddin' (see below

    OP;
    Also beware that *perhaps* a Sarge distro is more appropriate - I say
    this because I think all the latest Sid and Etch are made for Newer
    Hardware in mind - this doesn't mean they're not backwards compatible
    (newer Kernels and Releases) ...but hey, you never know how much
    exactly. Especially with the implementation of Udev (replaces devfs),
    Hal, and D-Bus, instead of Hotplug.
    When I installed Sarge - there was a choice for IDE modules and I
    loaded them all, evenb though I knew all my chipset parameters (just in
    case - BTW mines an old Intel440BX)...

    Now, Naturally - Your BIOS *must* see the CDRW before the OS will.
    You've got to get that BIOS to see it.

    Note;
    I have this installed;
    ~$ dmesg | grep -i hd
    hda: HDS728080PLAT20, ATA DISK drive (80 GB, UDMA66/100/133 capable,
    but old chipset limits it to UDMA33)
    hdb: LITE-ON LTR-32123S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive (<-- 32x12x40 CDRW)
    hdc: WDC AC29100D, ATA DISK drive <-- (8.4 GB, circa 1999 UDMA33)
    hdd: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive <--(spankin' New,
    would do UDMA66 I think, if the Chipset were capable, but it's not)

    I used to have a DVD-ROM on hdc, but it was so old it only did UDMA0/1
    (16.6MB/sec)...so hooking up faster devices on the same channel would
    work, yet operate more slowly while the devices talked to each other.

    My point is; MATCH the IDE devices, when sharing the same IDE Channel
    according to Speed and UDMA rating as best/closely as possible.

    Try the OLD 40 conductor cables when using OLD IDE Devices.
    UDMA66(mode4) and higher *require* newer 80wire cables, but
    UDMA33(mode2) does not.

  17. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    Steve,

    There is a lot of good advice on here, and if you've followed it with
    no luck, here is my suggestion. I would suggest that you first set
    both of you CD devices to CSEL and then see if the machine can see
    them. Even as old as your hardware is, it should see that IDE CDRW. I
    would be willing to bet once you've done this, at least the bios will
    recognize both of the drives. If it still doesn't, then I will have to
    default to your hardware conflict issue. If it does see them, and it's
    still not seeing it inside the OS, if you have access to another
    machine, download a copy of Knoppix, throw it in, and see if it
    recognizes it. If it does, you might need to either recompile your
    kernel or probably easier for someone who's new to this, reinstall, so
    that the kernel will add the appropriate kernel drivers for your
    hardware. Hope this helps.

    Mark

  18. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    SteveSch wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:11:16 -0500, apostle wrote:
    >
    >> nope, BIOS not showing the cd-rw.. I checked the ASUS site looking for a
    >> bios upgrade for tx97-xv (rev 1.3) and found upgrades for several other
    >> flavors of tx97-??, but not this one.

    > Then Linux won't see it either. I'd double check the jumper settings
    > again. Some drives have a master with slave setting and a master setting.
    > Try them both on cable select.
    >
    >> in the other machine it's set as slave on primary ide and works

    > But in the machine they don't work in, are they set as master/slave?

    I've tried all combinations of (master/slave/cable-select) (primary ide /
    secondary ide) (one drive/both drives) (various cables) and bios never sees
    cd-rw, but can see cd-rom...

    >> no, I didn't know to do that until now. I'll have to do that tonight.

    > The packages on the server are usually newer than on a cd.
    >
    >> yeah, I think my main problem is a mobo circa 1997 with an equally
    >> aincient Phoenix BIOS that ASUS has apparently seen fit not to update.

    > It should still easily see both drives.
    >
    > Does this machine see the cdrw if you remove the cdrom?

    nope (see above)

    > If the cdrw is the only cdrom drive in the machine, and is set to master,
    > can you boot the computer from the cdrw?

    tried that today, nope.

    > In the BIOS there is a manual setting and an automatic setting for the
    > ide. There is also a disable setting. Make sure all 4 are on automatic.

    Auto is always the first setting I try when putting in a drive.

    > Try switching the drives. Make the cdrom slave and the cdrw master or
    > visa-versa.
    >
    > As far as I know it can only be
    >
    > Bad, or wrong, cable. Try cable from another machine.
    >
    > Jumper settings conflicting.
    >
    > CDROM or CDRW drive bad.
    >
    > Loose, bad or wrong connection. The master drive should be plugged into
    > the end connector, not the middle one.
    >
    > MB Bug. I googled and didn't see any MB reports.
    >
    > BIOS not setup correctly. Page 45 in the manual shows the IDE channels
    > set to auto.
    >
    > P/S weak?
    >
    > http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...mpering-c.html
    > I would go to a hardware forum and ask what they think.

    I may do that, but in the meantime I think I'm going to put the thing on the
    shelf until I can get a cpu and memory for a new ASRock k7vm3 that I KNOW
    will be a lot better for everything.

    Thanks all for all the help with this, even though it isn't really resolved,
    I learned some things I didn't know and at least that's worthwhile.

    -Ed

  19. Re: install problems with both CD-RW drive and Firefox

    apostle@pokynet.com wrote:

    > SteveSch wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:11:16 -0500, apostle wrote:
    > >
    > >> nope, BIOS not showing the cd-rw.. I checked the ASUS site looking for a
    > >> bios upgrade for tx97-xv (rev 1.3) and found upgrades for several other
    > >> flavors of tx97-??, but not this one.

    [snip]

    > Thanks all for all the help with this, even though it isn't really resolved,
    > I learned some things I didn't know and at least that's worthwhile.
    >
    > -Ed

    Well - I forgot if you have already, but have you *verified* that the
    CDRW actually *works*, (install in another machine)...if not, Return it
    for a Refund, and get a Lite-On or NEC :-)

+ Reply to Thread