getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge - Debian

  1. getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

    I'm fairly new to linux, recently migrating from a windows 98 that blew up
    one time too many.

    I had a mailserver running in windows, (Mercury32) that I used for some
    personal accounts and a few accounts for family members... pop3, smtp-auth,
    anti-spam rules. I really want to get an equivalent service running on
    linux so that I can recreate those email accounts and get back to 'normal'
    email services.

    I spent some time trying to make heads or tails of the exim4 package that
    comes with Sarge, but While I did actually get it to send an email (once),
    I never figured out how to add users, get it to allow pop3 and smtp
    connections or anything else.

    After a LOT of searching and reading, I settled on the Qmail setup described
    in this article.

    "Building and Advanced Mail Server"
    http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/...il_server.html

    I think I managed to get the MySQL server installed and the database created
    correctly. apt-get install openssl appeared to work without a hitch.
    I ran into trouble installing ucspi-tcp. I got the source from the link in
    the article, unpacked it, opened a root terminal and typed 'make'...
    partway through the process it stopped with this error info:

    ( ( ./compile trylsock.c && \
    ../load trylsock -lsocket -lnsl ) >/dev/null 2>&1 \
    && echo -lsocket -lnsl || exit 0 ) > socket.lib
    rm -f trylsock.o trylsock
    ../load tcpserver rules.o remoteinfo.o timeoutconn.o cdb.a \
    dns.a time.a unix.a byte.a `cat socket.lib`
    tcpserver.o(.text+0x5c0): In function `doit':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    remoteinfo.o(.text+0x78): In function `mywrite':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    remoteinfo.o(.text+0x118): In function `myread':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    timeoutconn.o(.text+0x42): In function `timeoutconn':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    timeoutconn.o(.text+0xd1): In function `timeoutconn':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    cdb.a(cdb.o)(.text+0x10e): more undefined references to `errno' follow
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [tcpserver] Error 1
    debian:/home/user1/ucspi-tcp-0.88#

    Would someone please give me a clue what this latest hurdle is and how to
    deal with it? I've put a the better part of three weeks into trying to
    learn how to do this and right now I'm about ready to scream. A simple
    MTA, create a couple dozen user accounts, SMTP & POP3 (TLS would be nice,
    but what the hell, anything that works for starters. The rest can come
    later)

    On another note, is there a way to get Kmail to not verify gpg signatures
    unless I explicitly request it? Something similar to un-ticking 'check
    signatures automaticaly' in Knode.

    Thanks for any help

  2. Re: getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

    On 2006-04-23, Edward Langenback wrote:

    > I'm fairly new to linux, recently migrating from a windows 98 that blew up
    > one time too many.
    >
    > I had a mailserver running in windows, (Mercury32) that I used for some
    > personal accounts and a few accounts for family members... pop3, smtp-auth,
    > anti-spam rules. I really want to get an equivalent service running on
    > linux so that I can recreate those email accounts and get back to 'normal'
    > email services.
    >
    > I spent some time trying to make heads or tails of the exim4 package that
    > comes with Sarge, but While I did actually get it to send an email (once),
    > I never figured out how to add users, get it to allow pop3 and smtp
    > connections or anything else.

    I read below, too, and I just have a little paasing experience with qmail. I
    have to say that what you're going through with qmail is a lot harder than
    what I think is a similarly robust system provided by exim4. The 4.5x Sarg
    is pretty easy to get going, even though it doesn't seem that way if you
    *ugh* look at the config file.

    Here's a few tips if you want to give Exim4 another try:
    1)You need to use fetchmail and it has a configurator which, though slightly
    obscure, let's you pop as many accounts from various servers, etc. as you
    need.
    2) Run 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' as root in order to 'tweak' the
    config file once you know what you want. (It was hard for me to answer all
    the questions right initially because I wasn't sure what I wanted)

    Anyway, I thought I'd mention a few things since what you wrote below would
    make me give up on qmail.

    --
    I'm lazy like that

  3. Re: getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:11:09 -0500, Edward Langenback wrote:

    > I spent some time trying to make heads or tails of the exim4 package that
    > comes with Sarge, but While I did actually get it to send an email (once),
    > I never figured out how to add users, get it to allow pop3 and smtp
    > connections or anything else.

    exim is an SMTP server, for POP3/IMAP you need a - well POP3 and/or
    IMAP server. From my experience courier is quite easy to configure.

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : infos zur usenet-hierarchie at.*: http://www.usenet.at/

  4. Re: getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

  5. Re: getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

    Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:45:08 -0500, Edward Langenback
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> gregor herrmann wrote:

    >>> exim is an SMTP server, for POP3/IMAP you need a - well POP3 and/or
    >>> IMAP server. From my experience courier is quite easy to configure.

    >> Ok, I'll buy that, I'll check it out. Though I don't understand why a
    >> mailserver package does not include dealing with both ends of the
    >> exchange.
    >>
    >> Also, while I can convince exim to send test messages from the command
    >> line, telnet localhost:25 and telnet 127.0.0.1:25 gets error messages
    >>
    >> telnet: could not resolve localhost:25/telnet: Name or service not known
    >> telnet: could not resolve 127.0.0.1:25/telnet: Name or service not known
    >>

    > Try a space instead of a colon: telnet localhost 25

    Thanks! Thats one of those 'little' differences that never occurred to me.
    I've been using the colon between address and port for so long it never
    occurred to me it might be done differently.

    In the meantime, It looks like I'm getting someplace. I just need get it to
    stop referring to itself as 'localhost.localdomain' and use a dyndns domain
    instead. meanwhile I'm back to the drawing board with a bit more of a
    clue.

    Thanks

  6. Re: getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

    Jimchip wrote:

    snip

    > I read below, too, and I just have a little paasing experience with qmail.
    > I have to say that what you're going through with qmail is a lot harder
    > than what I think is a similarly robust system provided by exim4. The 4.5x
    > Sarg is pretty easy to get going, even though it doesn't seem that way if
    > you *ugh* look at the config file.
    >
    > Here's a few tips if you want to give Exim4 another try:
    > 1)You need to use fetchmail and it has a configurator which, though
    > slightly obscure, let's you pop as many accounts from various servers,
    > etc. as you need.
    > 2) Run 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' as root in order to 'tweak' the
    > config file once you know what you want. (It was hard for me to answer all
    > the questions right initially because I wasn't sure what I wanted)
    >
    > Anyway, I thought I'd mention a few things since what you wrote below
    > would make me give up on qmail.

    Thanks for replying. I'll keep fetchmail in mind because there are a few
    accounts that I eventually want to combine and deliver to one on the mail
    server when it's going.

    As for #2... I know exactly what I want... I just haven't yet learned
    enough linux to get it done

    I've a dyndns domain and I found a linux version of a program to keep dyndns
    updated (ddclient.tar.gz) with my current IP address.

    The mail server needs to accept incoming smtp on port 25 (preferably with
    TLS on ports 465,587 and 2525 as a option for those clients that are
    capable of it) and pop3 on ports 110,995 and 1110(also with TLS option). I
    need a modest amount of filtering and anti-spam (I understand that procmail
    can handle the filtering and spamassassin takes care of spam.)

    To prevent being an open relay the server must require smtp-auth (which must
    be available on both TLS and non-TLS connections.). I would prefer that
    smtp auth also be required for connections from localhost to prevent
    accidentally using the wrong account. and it needs to be reasonably
    painless to add local and non-local email accounts without adding local
    system accounts. IMap, and webmail are not needed. a web control panel
    available only to localhost would be nice, but not needed.

    Until windows started defecating all over it, I had a setup very much like
    this in Mercury32 v4.01a (patched to 4.01b) and it worked great for over a
    year, able to process all of my email, plus about two dozen other accounts.

    The problem is that I'm new enough to the whole linux thing that I can't
    seem to speak what exim4 and it's companion packages expect. I'm not
    afraid to learn (or I'd never have left windows) and I've spent a lot of
    google time on this trying to learn how to get this done.

    What's really starting to fry my bacon is the difficulty I'm having trying
    to find helpful clues that don't assume that I already know what I'm doing.
    In windows I *DO* know what I'm doing, but this isn't windows and since my
    computer hasn't been able to connect to the net under windows despite
    re-installing from scratch twice I figure that when it comes to being
    online, I'm done with windows...

  7. Re: getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

    On 2006-04-26, Edward Langenback wrote:

    > Jimchip wrote:

    [snip]
    > Thanks for replying. I'll keep fetchmail in mind because there are a few
    > accounts that I eventually want to combine and deliver to one on the mail
    > server when it's going.
    >
    > As for #2... I know exactly what I want... I just haven't yet learned
    > enough linux to get it done
    >
    > I've a dyndns domain and I found a linux version of a program to keep dyndns
    > updated (ddclient.tar.gz) with my current IP address.
    >
    > The mail server needs to accept incoming smtp on port 25 (preferably with
    > TLS on ports 465,587 and 2525 as a option for those clients that are
    > capable of it) and pop3 on ports 110,995 and 1110(also with TLS option). I
    > need a modest amount of filtering and anti-spam (I understand that procmail
    > can handle the filtering and spamassassin takes care of spam.)
    >
    > To prevent being an open relay the server must require smtp-auth (which must
    > be available on both TLS and non-TLS connections.). I would prefer that
    > smtp auth also be required for connections from localhost to prevent
    > accidentally using the wrong account. and it needs to be reasonably
    > painless to add local and non-local email accounts without adding local
    > system accounts. IMap, and webmail are not needed. a web control panel
    > available only to localhost would be nice, but not needed.

    Now that you say that, exim4 smtp-auth isn't straight forward at all. There
    was a recent debian list request to make it more so. If qmail works Ok for
    you then that's great but now I' think that you want to look at Postfix.
    (just a suggestion)

    > Until windows started defecating all over it, I had a setup very much like
    > this in Mercury32 v4.01a (patched to 4.01b) and it worked great for over a
    > year, able to process all of my email, plus about two dozen other accounts.

    I remember Mercury. There were a lot of Mercury servers 'out there'.

    > The problem is that I'm new enough to the whole linux thing that I can't
    > seem to speak what exim4 and it's companion packages expect. I'm not
    > afraid to learn (or I'd never have left windows) and I've spent a lot of
    > google time on this trying to learn how to get this done.

    Given that you have the specs of what you want I think Postfix might deserve
    a look. It has the one config file--I think /etc/postfix/main.cf and it's
    not nearly as cryptic as exim. I'm sure more direct than what I imagine is
    going on with your qmail. I'm going to switch to postfix once I have some
    time...Like I said before the default exim4 worked fine for me but I don't
    have your special needs. I think smtp-auth is important.

    http://www.muine.org/~hoang/postfix.html#config
    http://www.advosys.ca/papers/postfix-filtering.html

    --
    Once it's all set up, it just has to be monitored.

  8. Re: getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

    On 2006-04-23, Edward Langenback wrote:
    > Ok, I'll buy that, I'll check it out. Though I don't understand why a
    > mailserver package does not include dealing with both ends of the exchange.

    Because under UNIX you usually read your mail on the local machine (and you
    login either locally through your keyboard or remotely through ssh). Thus
    there is no immediate need to add a POP or IMAP server to the mailserver
    package.

    Another difference between Windows and UNIX is that every UNIX program does
    only a limited task: exim is only a SMTP server that delivers the mail to
    files on your machine (/var/spool/mail), whereas uw-imapd e.g. does only
    IMAP.

    To create e-mail accounts you can use two approaches:

    * You use exim and e.g. uw-imapd and ipopd. You give a shell account to
    every user, so they will be able to read their e-mail locally or through
    IMAP/POP3.

    * You use an integrated system such us courier. Your users will be able to
    read e-mail only through IMAP/POP3, but you won't have to give everyone
    an account on the machine.

    Piotr

  9. Re: getting a mailserver working on Debian Sarge

+ Reply to Thread