Conencting over the net - Debian

This is a discussion on Conencting over the net - Debian ; I have an XP machine at work connected full time via a router to DSL. It does not have a fixed ip, but I have a domain name via "no-ip". I have an Ubuntu system at home connected via a ...

  1. Conencting over the net

    I have an XP machine at work connected full time via a router to DSL.
    It does not have a fixed ip, but I have a domain name via "no-ip".

    I have an Ubuntu system at home connected via a router to DSL full
    time with, again, no fixed IP but a domain name via no-ip.

    Could someone give me options for connecting/controlling/browsing the
    two machines remotely either way please. A few keywords would open up a world
    via google.

    --
    "A desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world" - LeCarre.

  2. Re: Conencting over the net

    * Richard G. Riley wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:
    > I have an XP machine at work connected full time via a router to DSL.
    > It does not have a fixed ip, but I have a domain name via "no-ip".

    > I have an Ubuntu system at home connected via a router to DSL full
    > time with, again, no fixed IP but a domain name via no-ip.

    > Could someone give me options for connecting/controlling/browsing the
    > two machines remotely either way please. A few keywords would open up a world
    > via google.

    If you have SSHD running on the Ubuntu box you can forward the port from
    your router to that box. Once you connect (using something like Putty or
    similar) you can pretty much do anything you want. You could even VNC
    from any box anywhere over the ssh connection and have desktop control
    of either the windows or Ubuntu box.

    keywords:

    SSH[d]
    Port Forwarding