Kanotix - adding USB Hard drive - Debian

This is a discussion on Kanotix - adding USB Hard drive - Debian ; I just bought a external hard box (usb 2) with a 40GB hard drive. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to mount it? I just want to use it to transfer files between two computers Kanotix-WinXP. ...

  1. Kanotix - adding USB Hard drive

    I just bought a external hard box (usb 2) with a 40GB hard drive. Can
    someone point me in the right direction on how to mount it? I just
    want to use it to transfer files between two computers Kanotix-WinXP.
    The hard drive is already formatted with Fat32.

    Thanks,

    Wad

    Kanotix 2005-4
    Kernel 2.6.15.1

  2. Re: Kanotix - adding USB Hard drive

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 23:07:33 +0900, Wad wrote:

    > I just bought a external hard box (usb 2) with a 40GB hard drive. Can
    > someone point me in the right direction on how to mount it? I just
    > want to use it to transfer files between two computers Kanotix-WinXP.
    > The hard drive is already formatted with Fat32.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Wad
    >
    > Kanotix 2005-4
    > Kernel 2.6.15.1

    Most likely it's going to be 'mount /dev/sda1 /whatevermountpointyouchoose'.

  3. Re: Kanotix - adding USB Hard drive

    Wad wrote:
    > I just bought a external hard box (usb 2) with a 40GB hard drive. Can
    > someone point me in the right direction on how to mount it? I just
    > want to use it to transfer files between two computers Kanotix-WinXP.
    > The hard drive is already formatted with Fat32.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Wad
    >
    > Kanotix 2005-4
    > Kernel 2.6.15.1

    *from a shell*
    try;
    sudo mkdir /mnt/tmp
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp orw,userid=Kanotix

    *from a virtual terminal*
    do;
    mkdir /mnt/tmp
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp orw,userid=Kanotix

    replace 'Kanotix' with your Username

  4. Re: Kanotix - adding USB Hard drive

    "Wad"posted the following on 2006-03-01:

    > I just bought a external hard box (usb 2) with a 40GB hard drive. Can
    > someone point me in the right direction on how to mount it? I just
    > want to use it to transfer files between two computers Kanotix-WinXP.
    > The hard drive is already formatted with Fat32.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Wad
    >
    > Kanotix 2005-4
    > Kernel 2.6.15.1

    Kanotix should be same as any distro. 2 seconds with googling up
    "linux mount usb drive" reveals this little guide:

    http://ldots.org/prodrive/

    Paying particular attention to : "Making Life Easier with fstab" and
    you'll be a master in no time :-;

+ Reply to Thread