Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable - Debian

This is a discussion on Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable - Debian ; Hi Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is a strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor ...

  1. Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    Hi

    Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is a
    strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible, and
    the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish a window from the
    background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this from a Knoppix live CD
    session.

    Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the terminal,
    though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.

    Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
    runlevel ?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    > upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is
    > a strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible,
    > and the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish a window from
    > the background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this from a Knoppix live
    > CD session.
    >
    > Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the terminal,
    > though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.
    >
    > Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
    > runlevel ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    This appears to be an Xorg problem. I see some strange messages in
    Xorg.log :

    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0):
    Fixing display offsets.
    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    outring (0x17) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0): Fixing display
    offsets.
    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0): Fixing
    display offsets.
    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    outring (0x17) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f)
    isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x47) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x5f) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x77) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I81
    (0): Fixing display offsets.
    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't
    on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I81
    (0): Fixing display offsets.
    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord bouhndary(WW) I810(0): Fixing display
    offsets.

    How do I fix this ?

  3. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    * Madhusudan Singh wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:

    [...]

    > This appears to be an Xorg problem. I see some strange messages in
    > Xorg.log :

    > ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0):

    [...]

    > offsets.

    > How do I fix this ?

    Try running xorgconfig ?

    --
    David
    A tall, dark stranger will have more fun than you.

  4. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    > upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is a
    > strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible, and
    > the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish a window from the
    > background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this from a Knoppix live CD
    > session.
    >
    > Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the terminal,
    > though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.
    >
    > Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
    > runlevel ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Perhaps this is way overkill, but maybe;
    dpkg-reconfigure kdm
    or
    dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    use whichever one you like least, in case something goes really funky,
    like lost files /settings

    Wait for other advice

  5. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    __/ [ Madhusudan Singh ] on Friday 24 February 2006 06:07 \__

    Hi,

    The "Urgent" bit makes it sound as if a helpdesk is involved. *smile*

    > Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    >> upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is
    >> a strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible,
    >> and the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish a window from
    >> the background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this from a Knoppix live
    >> CD session.
    >>
    >> Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the terminal,
    >> though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.
    >>
    >> Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
    >> runlevel ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > This appears to be an Xorg problem. I see some strange messages in
    > Xorg.log :
    >
    > ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0):
    > Fixing display offsets.
    > ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    > outring (0x17) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0): Fixing display
    > offsets.
    > ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0):
    > Fixing display offsets.
    > ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    > outring (0x17) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f)
    > isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x47) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x5f) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x77) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I81
    > (0): Fixing display offsets.
    > ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    > outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't
    > on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
    > boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I81
    > (0): Fixing display offsets.
    > ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    > outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord bouhndary(WW) I810(0): Fixing display
    > offsets.
    >
    > How do I fix this ?

    Has you XOrg configuration file been modified during KDE upgrade? If so, can
    you retrieve the old version? I suppose command-line YaSY with SaX could be
    handy here, but you are on Debian.

    Other ideas: can you extract the XOrg configurations used by Knoppix in your
    live session? Perhaps you can overwrite (careful making backups!) the
    Debian's XOrg configuration.

    Lastly, have you got any pre-upgrade backups? Any HOWTO on KDE upgrades
    suggests this at the very start, so I hope you complied with the
    recommendation.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  6. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    Madhusudan Singh writes:

    > Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    > upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is a
    > strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible, and
    > the text is visible,

    Check if something like this is present in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

    If so, put a # in front of "Option".
    --
    Regards
    Jes Vestervang

  7. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    iforone wrote:

    > Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    >> upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is
    >> a strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible,
    >> and the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish a window
    >> from the background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this from a
    >> Knoppix live CD session.
    >>
    >> Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the
    >> terminal, though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.
    >>
    >> Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
    >> runlevel ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Perhaps this is way overkill, but maybe;
    > dpkg-reconfigure kdm
    > or
    > dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    > use whichever one you like least, in case something goes really funky,
    > like lost files /settings
    >
    > Wait for other advice

    Tried it. All it does is to change the manager. No joy.

    I think this is an X problem.

  8. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    SINNER wrote:

    > * Madhusudan Singh wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> This appears to be an Xorg problem. I see some strange messages in
    >> Xorg.log :

    >> ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0):

    > [...]
    >
    >> offsets.

    >> How do I fix this ?

    > Try running xorgconfig ?

    Which Debian package provides that ? I do not seem to have it.

  9. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    > iforone wrote:
    >
    >> Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    >>> upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is
    >>> a strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible,
    >>> and the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish a window
    >>> from the background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this from a
    >>> Knoppix live CD session.
    >>>
    >>> Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the
    >>> terminal, though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
    >>> runlevel ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Perhaps this is way overkill, but maybe;
    >> dpkg-reconfigure kdm
    >> or
    >> dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    >> use whichever one you like least, in case something goes really funky,
    >> like lost files /settings
    >>
    >> Wait for other advice

    > Tried it. All it does is to change the manager. No joy.
    >
    > I think this is an X problem.

    If you are using gdm as "login" (quite nice after you patch the key order on
    the requesters), you will get problems with KDE from time to time, it's better
    to use kdm, it just works better. But I doubt that is cause of your problem as
    you have troubles with Gnome2 too.

    //Aho

  10. Re: Urgent - Xorg translucency problems - system unusable

    Jes Vestervang wrote:

    > Madhusudan Singh writes:
    >
    >> Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    >> upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is
    >> a strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible,
    >> and the text is visible,

    > Check if something like this is present in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    > Section "Extensions"
    > Option "Composite" "Enable"
    > EndSection
    >
    > If so, put a # in front of "Option".

    Funny that you should mention that. I initially did not have these lines
    when I first encountered the problem. I then added them after discovering
    through Google that they had some bearing on translucency capabilities of
    Xorg (most of the references therein were to Nvidia graphic cards, mine is
    an Intel). No difference. And as expected, your advice to remove them has
    not made any difference either.

    Another symptom - ctrl+alt+backspace does not seem to kill the x server, and
    ctrl+alt+f does not seem to take me to a text console.

    To cover all bases, my xorg.conf follows. Could it be one of the loaded
    modules that are causing this problem with the upgraded version of xorg ?

    # xorg.conf (Xorg X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following commands as root:
    #
    # cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.custom
    # md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf >/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum
    # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    Section "Files"
    FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
    # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Gurmukhi"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Mac"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/extra"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "record"
    Load "type1"
    Load "v4l"
    Load "vbe"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
    Driver "i810"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 28-49
    VertRefresh 43-72
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    #Section "Extensions"
    # Option "Composite" "Enable"
    # Option "RENDER" "Enable"
    #EndSection

    I dare not include the entire Xorg.0.log file as it is humoungous. However,
    upon perusal, I find some intriguing points :

    1 :

    X Window System Version 6.9.0 (Debian 6.9.0.dfsg.1-4 20060114230205 David
    Nusinow )
    Release Date: 21 December 2005
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.9
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.15-1-686 i686 [ELF]
    Current Operating System: Linux nanak 2.6.12-1-386 #1 Tue Sep 27 12:41:08
    JST 2005 i686
    Build Date: 14 January 2006
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org

    This version of X was built against a newer version of the kernel than I am
    running.

    2 :

    (WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0xffe80000 e: 0xffefffff correcting

    3 :

    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: Open failed
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: Open failed
    drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:02.0
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 9, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 9
    drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.1
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card1
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 9, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 9
    drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
    (II) I810(0): [drm] loaded kernel module for "i915" driver
    (II) I810(0): [drm] DRM interface version 1.2
    (II) I810(0): [drm] created "i915" driver at busid "pci:0000:00:02.0"

    4:

    (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f05 failed.

    5:

    (WW) I810(0): PGTBL_ER is 0xffffffff
    (WW) I810(0): PRB0_CTL (0xffffffff) indicates ring buffer enabled
    (WW) I810(0): PRB0_HEAD (0xffffffff) and PRB0_TAIL (0xffffffff) indicate
    ring buffer not flushed

    I include this because a lot of the really strange errors later make
    references to rings and such.

    6 :

    (II) I810(0): direct rendering: Enabled
    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(==) RandR enabled

    7 :

    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0):
    Fixing display offsets.
    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
    outring (0x17) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f)
    isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x47) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x5f) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x77) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x8f) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0xa7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0xbf) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0xd7) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0xef) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x107) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x11f) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x137) isn't on a QWord
    boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x14f) isn't on a QWord

    ..... (a lot of such errors, sentences not even broken up)

    followed by :

[...]
    outring (0x27) isn't on a QWord boundarySynaptics DeviceOff called
    (II) I810(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
    (II) I810(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xe000b000 at 0xb7965000
    ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary

    Now, in all my years of using X, I have never seen such errors. Could it all
    just be due to the DRI module not loading properly or something like that ?

  11. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    "J.O." risked the wrath of Usenet weenies mastering
    mommies computer when he ventured forth on 2006-02-24, commmitted
    his life to the whims of Google, and spluttered:

    > Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >> iforone wrote:

    >>> Perhaps this is way overkill, but maybe;
    >>> dpkg-reconfigure kdm
    >>> or
    >>> dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    >>> use whichever one you like least, in case something goes really funky,
    >>> like lost files /settings
    >>>
    >>> Wait for other advice

    >> Tried it. All it does is to change the manager. No joy.
    >>
    >> I think this is an X problem.

    > If you are using gdm as "login" (quite nice after you patch the key order on
    > the requesters), you will get problems with KDE from time to time, it's better
    > to use kdm, it just works better. But I doubt that is cause of your problem as
    > you have troubles with Gnome2 too.
    >

    > //Aho

    Interesting : I switched to kdm and had loads of stability problems. I
    googled a bit to find that most people seem to think that gdm is
    better.

    Opinions?

    --
    It is better to be an "expert" than it is to do actual work.

  12. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    In article , spammers-go-
    here@spam.invalid says...
    : Hi
    :
    : Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    : upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is a
    : strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible, and
    : the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish a window from the
    : background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this from a Knoppix live CD
    : session.
    :
    : Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the terminal,
    : though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.
    :
    : Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
    : runlevel ?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

    I recommend editing your xorg.conf file to set the video adapter to
    "vesa" - selection #0 on the list of drivers. You know, narrow the
    problem down. :-)

  13. Re: Urgent - Xorg translucency problems - system unusable

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > __/ [ Madhusudan Singh ] on Friday 24 February 2006 06:07 \__
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > The "Urgent" bit makes it sound as if a helpdesk is involved. *smile*
    >

    > Other ideas: can you extract the XOrg configurations used by Knoppix in
    > your live session? Perhaps you can overwrite (careful making backups!) the
    > Debian's XOrg configuration.

    Tried that. Did not work It quit complaining about a missing /dev/fb0
    device node.

    > Lastly, have you got any pre-upgrade backups? Any HOWTO on KDE upgrades
    > suggests this at the very start, so I hope you complied with the
    > recommendation.

    I do. I will try that as a last resort.

  14. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:55:35 -0500, Madhusudan Singh
    > wrote:

    >>> Try running xorgconfig ?
    >>>

    >> Which Debian package provides that ? I do not seem to have it.

    > Debian has "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", but I'm not sure if it will
    > help with your problem.

    You are right. It did not.

    I am considering a fresh Debian install as a possibility.

  15. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:55:35 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:

    >> Try running xorgconfig ?

    > Which Debian package provides that ? I do not seem to have it.

    gregoa@belanna:~$ apt-file search xorgconfig
    [..]
    xbase-clients: usr/X11R6/bin/xorgconfig
    gregoa@belanna:~$

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : infos zur usenet-hierarchie at.*: http://www.usenet.at/

  16. Re: Urgent - Xorg translucency problems - system unusable

    John wrote:

    > In article , spammers-go-
    > here@spam.invalid says...
    > : Hi
    > :
    > : Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
    > : upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there
    > : is a strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is
    > : invisible, and the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish
    > : a window from the background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this
    > : from a Knoppix live CD session.
    > :
    > : Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the
    > : terminal, though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.
    > :
    > : Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
    > : runlevel ?
    > :
    > : Thanks.
    > :
    >
    > I recommend editing your xorg.conf file to set the video adapter to
    > "vesa" - selection #0 on the list of drivers. You know, narrow the
    > problem down. :-)

    Excellent suggestion !!

    Changing to vesa worked. Now, this suggests that there is a problem with the
    i810 support in the latest xorg drivers.

  17. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    > Interesting : I switched to kdm and had loads of stability problems. I
    > googled a bit to find that most people seem to think that gdm is
    > better.
    >
    > Opinions?

    yeah - stop blocking your archives

    kdm works much better than xdm

  18. Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

    "iforone" risked the wrath of Usenet weenies mastering
    mommies computer when he ventured forth on 2006-02-26, commmitted
    his life to the whims of Google, and spluttered:

    > Walter Mitty wrote:
    >> Interesting : I switched to kdm and had loads of stability problems. I
    >> googled a bit to find that most people seem to think that gdm is
    >> better.
    >>
    >> Opinions?

    > yeah - stop blocking your archives
    >
    > kdm works much better than xdm

    Doesnt seem much point archiving a question. Any replies will see it
    archived.

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg01333.html

    --
    It is better to be an "expert" than it is to do actual work.

+ Reply to Thread