problems with apt-get - Debian

This is a discussion on problems with apt-get - Debian ; Hi to all i have a stable installation, with some packages upgraded to testing the problem is that i have deinstalled xfree and replaced with xserver-xorg (version 6.8.2 from an non-official repository, 6.9 doesn't works with fglrx drivers) and everything ...

  1. problems with apt-get

    Hi to all
    i have a stable installation, with some packages upgraded to testing
    the problem is that i have deinstalled xfree and replaced with
    xserver-xorg (version 6.8.2 from an non-official repository, 6.9
    doesn't works with fglrx drivers) and everything now is messed up..
    as example, my gnome disappeared, but still i see it as installed
    from aptitude... however when i make apt-get build-dep gnome
    nothing new is installed, so i make apt-get install gnome, and i got:
    (translated from italian, sorry for the bad translation)

    those packages have non satisfied dependencies:
    gnome: depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 64) but it's not going
    to be installed
    depends: gnome-office (= 64) but it's not going to be
    installed E: corrupted package

    and these gnome-desk.. gnome-office packages are recursively dependet
    on others.. so how can i do to reinstall gnome?

    Thx!

  2. Re: problems with apt-get

    Hello

    fabio () wrote:

    > i have a stable installation, with some packages upgraded to testing
    > the problem is that i have deinstalled xfree and replaced with
    > xserver-xorg (version 6.8.2 from an non-official repository, 6.9
    > doesn't works with fglrx drivers) and everything now is messed up..

    Frankly, except for some few packages, it is a bad bad idea to mix
    stable with testing:

    testing uses a newer libc6 which probably will be upgraded as soon as
    you install anything from testing.

    testing uses another C++ ABI than stable, which means all the C++
    libraries/programs from testing are incompatible to stable (this
    included QT and KDE).

    testing uses several userspace programs that are incompatible to the
    stable kernel (e.g. udev)

    testing uses xorg instead of xfree86. additional drivers like those from
    nvidia or ati built for stable won't work (in fact, right now even the
    nvidia drivers from testing don't work, you need the unstable
    packages).

    > as example, my gnome disappeared, but still i see it as installed
    > from aptitude... however when i make apt-get build-dep gnome
    > nothing new is installed, so i make apt-get install gnome, and i got:
    > (translated from italian, sorry for the bad translation)

    Run: LC_ALL=C apt-get install gnome

    > those packages have non satisfied dependencies:
    > gnome: depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 64) but it's not
    > going
    > to be installed
    > depends: gnome-office (= 64) but it's not going to be
    > installed E: corrupted package

    Explicitly install gnome-desktop-environment and gnome-office. It you
    run into the same problem with other packages, repeat until you find
    the reason. Maybe some essential stuff needs to be removed.

    > and these gnome-desk.. gnome-office packages are recursively dependet
    > on others.. so how can i do to reinstall gnome?

    Either go back to stable (very difficult, as you already run into
    trouble with an upgrade you probably won't get this working), or
    upgrade completely to testing and live with the typical testing
    problems. One is that testing uses xorg 6.9, and you need to reinstall
    the fglrx driver - because the GLX part you have is incompatible to
    xorg 6.9, and because you should upgrade your kernel as well, so you
    also need to rebuild the fglrx kernel module. Also install
    apt-listchanges to see which changes are made to your system when you
    upgrade. If you don't want to live with testing, I suggest you
    reinstall stable and stick with stable and backports (and /read/ the
    instructions on apt pinning to avoid in the future what happened to you
    this time).

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270

  3. Re: problems with apt-get

    Il Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:38:41 +0000, Andreas Janssen ha scritto:

    > Hello
    >
    > fabio () wrote:
    >
    >> i have a stable installation, with some packages upgraded to testing
    >> the problem is that i have deinstalled xfree and replaced with
    >> xserver-xorg (version 6.8.2 from an non-official repository, 6.9
    >> doesn't works with fglrx drivers) and everything now is messed up..

    > Frankly, except for some few packages, it is a bad bad idea to mix
    > stable with testing:

    yes, actually my mixed system doesn't work well..

    > Either go back to stable (very difficult, as you already run into
    > trouble with an upgrade you probably won't get this working)

    i tried to do this by editing this way preferences file:

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=stable
    Pin-Priority: 1001

    but it doesn't work to me.. maybe i have to do for every package manually,
    comparisoning the version string?

    , or
    > upgrade completely to testing and live with the typical testing
    > problems.

    i will do that, i have the stable on other partition..
    Thank you for the info!

    bye!

+ Reply to Thread