Error on boot - Debian

  2. Re: Error on boot

    Bill Marcum wrote in
    newsecob3-b86.ln1@don.localnet:

    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:55:39 -0600, Ed
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm getting some errors on boot: (debian sarge)
    >>
    >> It starts out allright, and then right after it appears to be loading
    >> the HD
    >> device descriptor (/hda) I get a series of error messages:
    >>
    >> Pivot_Root: Not a Directory
    >> Chroot: Cannot Run Command '/sbin/init': Not a Directory
    >> Kernal Panic: Attempted to kill init!
    >>

    >> At this point the system stops cold and except for blank lines
    >> scrolling when I hit , Nothing happens untill I power off.
    >>
    >> This happens both in the normal boot and the 'recovery mode' option.
    >> Win98Se (this is a dual boot) is still booting and working fine (as
    >> well as it ever does anyway.)
    >>
    >> Any clues what the problem is and how I can fix it?
    >>

    > Is this a new installation or did it work before? Can you boot a live
    > CD and mount the Debian root partition?

    It worked before, only a couple days earlier in fact.

    Can't answer about a live CD, I don't have anything other than the Debian
    install CD and cannot now burn one or take time to download it.

    This is looking like I'll be better off to boot the installer and re-
    install
    the whole thing from scratch. It was a 'learn linux' experimental install
    anyway, so I'll not lose anything in doing it.

    - --
    http://peculiarplace.com
    http://lurasbookcase.com
    http://purrfectdomains.com