ftp help - Debian

This is a discussion on ftp help - Debian ; could someone provide me with a script to log into an ftp server, do a couple of things and STAY logged in? this does its stuff and exits: HOST=ddddd USER=uuuuu PASSWD=pppppp ftp -n $HOST quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD ...

  1. ftp help

    could someone provide me with a script to log into an ftp server, do a
    couple of things and STAY logged in? this does its stuff and exits:

    HOST=ddddd
    USER=uuuuu
    PASSWD=pppppp

    ftp -n $HOST < quote USER $USER
    quote PASS $PASSWD
    bin
    hash
    prompt

    thanks for any pointers.

    --
    Snow White's dwarfs become gnomes
    -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4349726.stm

  2. Re: ftp help

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    > could someone provide me with a script to log into an ftp server, do a
    > couple of things and STAY logged in? this does its stuff and exits:

    I think a big part of your problem is the policy specific to the server.
    Some will automatically log you off after a short period of inactivity,
    and you can't change that.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------

  3. Re: ftp help

    "Ed" risked the wrath of Usenet weenies mastering
    mommies computer when he ventured forth on 2006-02-06, commmitted
    his life to the whims of Google, and spluttered:

    > Walter Mitty wrote:
    >> could someone provide me with a script to log into an ftp server, do a
    >> couple of things and STAY logged in? this does its stuff and exits:

    > I think a big part of your problem is the policy specific to the server.
    > Some will automatically log you off after a short period of inactivity,
    > and you can't change that.

    Nothing to do with timeouts. The script seems to force a logout at
    script end.

    --
    Snow White's dwarfs become gnomes
    -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4349726.stm
    The world has gone mad.

  4. Re: ftp help

    "Bill" risked the wrath of Usenet weenies mastering
    mommies computer when he ventured forth on 2006-02-07, commmitted
    his life to the whims of Google, and spluttered:

    > On 6 Feb 2006 11:21:18 GMT, Walter Mitty
    > wrote:
    >> could someone provide me with a script to log into an ftp server, do a
    >> couple of things and STAY logged in? this does its stuff and exits:
    >>
    >> HOST=ddddd
    >> USER=uuuuu
    >> PASSWD=pppppp
    >>
    >> ftp -n $HOST < >> quote USER $USER
    >> quote PASS $PASSWD
    >> bin
    >> hash
    >> prompt
    >>

    >> thanks for any pointers.
    >>

    > An ftp script usually logs out when it ends. Perhaps what you want is a
    > .netrc file. (man netrc)

    Thats on the way : thanks. I can now log in using

    ftp sitename.com

    (ideally i wouldnt have to specify the remote site name either, but I
    suppose thats why scripts exist).

    BUT now I cant run the default settings I want such as bin & prompt :
    well, there are command line parms for bin mode, but not for hash and
    prompt.

    Is there some sort of "default" settings for ftp?

    The manual doesnt say anything unless I have missed it.

    --
    Snow White's dwarfs become gnomes
    -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4349726.stm
    The world has gone mad.