Etch or Kubuntu? - Debian

This is a discussion on Etch or Kubuntu? - Debian ; Been running Kubuntu 5.1 with pretty much complete stability except for the fact I find KDE 3.5.1 a little buggy. I am really finicky about my OS running error free but ultimately I can live with the odd small glitch ...

  1. Etch or Kubuntu?

    Been running Kubuntu 5.1 with pretty much complete stability except
    for the fact I find KDE 3.5.1 a little buggy. I am really finicky
    about my OS running error free but ultimately I can live with the odd
    small glitch if I must.

    Would I gain any stability running Etch rather then Kubuntu, or would
    I be making even a bigger mistake going with Sarge for a desktop
    distro? Is Gnome any more stable then KDE? Is it hard to install and
    learn Flubox?

    Thanks,

    Wad

  2. Re: Etch or Kubuntu?

    Hello

    Wad () wrote:

    > Been running Kubuntu 5.1 with pretty much complete stability except
    > for the fact I find KDE 3.5.1 a little buggy. I am really finicky
    > about my OS running error free but ultimately I can live with the odd
    > small glitch if I must.
    >
    > Would I gain any stability running Etch rather then Kubuntu, or would
    > I be making even a bigger mistake going with Sarge for a desktop
    > distro?

    If you want to use KDE, don't use Debian Testing. Most external KDE apps
    (k3b, amarok, ...) are missing from Testing and canot be installed from
    unstable (KDE 3.4 in Testing, KDE 3.5 in unstable). Dependencies tend
    to break from time to time. If you want to use KDE with Debian, use
    stable. Only question is if Stable supports your hardware.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270

  3. Re: Etch or Kubuntu?

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:28:47 +0900, Wad wrote:

    > Been running Kubuntu 5.1 with pretty much complete stability except
    > for the fact I find KDE 3.5.1 a little buggy. I am really finicky
    > about my OS running error free but ultimately I can live with the odd
    > small glitch if I must.
    >
    > Would I gain any stability running Etch rather then Kubuntu, or would
    > I be making even a bigger mistake going with Sarge for a desktop
    > distro? Is Gnome any more stable then KDE? Is it hard to install and
    > learn Flubox?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Wad

    I've used ubuntu and kubuntu and decided to switch to etch(just so I can
    be more of a "purist"). I would have prefered stable but it's a little
    dated for my hardware. Although I use gnome I have many of the kde apps
    installed and for the ones that don't run I use alternatives like nero
    linux. The most stable(and latest) distro I've found so far is ubuntu. I
    do like KDE but gnome is faster, has fewer glitches and the only things I
    really use from kde are konqueror and ksysguard, both of which run fine
    with the kde base installed.

  4. Re: Etch or Kubuntu?

    I ran Gnome on Debian Sarge and now running KDE3.5.1 on Debian Testing.
    I must say that this version of KDE has been running without a
    glitch, so far. I'm also running some Gnome 2.12 applications
    (Gthumb/FileRoller)
    I have tried Ubuntu, it is a stable OS but I found it very bloated and
    found Gnome to have the same approach as MAC of all Linux desktops (not
    nearly as flexible as KDE) I am back to KDE /Openbox/WindowMaker
    depending on my mood...
    Of all distros I have tried, I found debian to be the most stable, even
    its testing branch.

  5. Re: Etch or Kubuntu?

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 04:24:03 -0800, A. Ben Hmeda wrote:

    > I ran Gnome on Debian Sarge and now running KDE3.5.1 on Debian Testing.
    > I must say that this version of KDE has been running without a
    > glitch, so far. I'm also running some Gnome 2.12 applications
    > (Gthumb/FileRoller)
    > I have tried Ubuntu, it is a stable OS but I found it very bloated and
    > found Gnome to have the same approach as MAC of all Linux desktops (not
    > nearly as flexible as KDE) I am back to KDE /Openbox/WindowMaker
    > depending on my mood...
    > Of all distros I have tried, I found debian to be the most stable, even
    > its testing branch.

    The latest KDE does seem a bit zippier and yes, it is far more flexible
    than gnome. The reason I mentioned ubuntu was that I never had to do a bit
    of tweaking with hardware, which I did with etch. I use it as more of a
    server/firewall anyway so a gui is not that important.

  6. Re: Etch or Kubuntu?

    "A. Ben Hmeda" writes:

    > I have tried Ubuntu, it is a stable OS but I found it very bloated

    Just run the server installation and install whatever you want
    afterwards. That way you can avoid the bloat.
    --
    Regards Jes Vestervang

  7. Re: Etch or Kubuntu?

    Wad wrote:

    > Been running Kubuntu 5.1 with pretty much complete stability except
    > for the fact I find KDE 3.5.1 a little buggy. I am really finicky
    > about my OS running error free but ultimately I can live with the odd
    > small glitch if I must.
    >
    > Would I gain any stability running Etch rather then Kubuntu, or would
    > I be making even a bigger mistake going with Sarge for a desktop
    > distro? Is Gnome any more stable then KDE? Is it hard to install and
    > learn Flubox?

    Each of the Debian clones does something better than the others. The
    only way you'll know for sure is to explore a bit. My own preference is
    Kanotix, because it uses the excellent Knoppix hardware detection and
    configuration, but without the sometimes crazy mix of testing,
    experimental, and downright private DEBs. I've not had any sort of
    stability issues on my Pavilion 542x with Kanotix, and it runs much
    faster than Ubuntu.

    The other factor is the desktop/window manager you choose. Fluxbox is as
    easy as "apt-get install fluxbox" along with the complimentary packages
    I couldn't name. My own preference for light-n-stable is IceWM. I really
    liked XFce 3.x, but have had trouble with 4.x. In all things regarding
    computers, YMMV.

    --
    Ed Hurst

+ Reply to Thread