keyboard pb - Debian

This is a discussion on keyboard pb - Debian ; hi i'm using debian (sarge, kernel 2.4.17, windows french kbd) on a dell inspiron 8200 laptop computer. i wanted to assign the dell and multimedia button, but now i have lost the ''shift'' and ''altgr'' keys. so i cannot type ...

  1. keyboard pb

    hi
    i'm using debian (sarge, kernel 2.4.17, windows french kbd) on a dell
    inspiron 8200 laptop computer. i wanted to assign the dell and multimedia
    button, but now i have lost the ''shift'' and ''altgr'' keys. so i cannot
    type caps, except using the caps lock.

    i would like to know how to turn back to default configuration or how to
    restore the modifiers.

    thanks
    pirouz

  2. Re: keyboard pb

    pirouz djoharian wrote:
    > i'm using debian (sarge, kernel 2.4.17, windows french kbd) on a dell
    > inspiron 8200 laptop computer. i wanted to assign the dell and multimedia
    > button, but now i have lost the ''shift'' and ''altgr'' keys. so i cannot
    > type caps, except using the caps lock.
    > i would like to know how to turn back to default configuration or how to
    > restore the modifiers.

    Take a look at loadkeys(1), most notably:
    loadkeys -d
    loadkeys --default
    loadkeys defkeymap
    .... that should probably be enough to get your keyboard mapping back to
    a sane state, at least.

  3. Re: keyboard pb

    pirouz djoharian wrote:
    > hi
    > i'm using debian (sarge, kernel 2.4.17, windows french kbd) on a dell
    > inspiron 8200 laptop computer. i wanted to assign the dell and multimedia
    > button, but now i have lost the ''shift'' and ''altgr'' keys. so i cannot
    > type caps, except using the caps lock.
    >
    > i would like to know how to turn back to default configuration or how to
    > restore the modifiers.
    >
    > thanks
    > pirouz

    Decompress keymap file (eg
    "/usr/share/keymap/i386/qwerty/pc101.kmap.gz" if you use i386
    architecture and qwerty us kb.) and edit the decompressed file.
    Finally, compress it and put it in "/etc/console/" as "boottime.kmap.gz"

  4. Re: keyboard pb

    Thanks for your help. I tried
    loadkeys -d
    which configured the keyboard in qwerty mode, but the shift key was ok.
    Afterwards I tried some azerty keymaps
    fr-x11.kmap.gz
    was ok, but the AltGr key doesn't work, as a modifier. So some chars are
    still inaccessible (@, ], |, ...).
    I decompressed the file and I changed the keycode corresponding to AltGr
    (131, according to xev), but, after gzip and loadkeys it doesn't seem to
    change anything ?!
    Also in KDE Control Center, regionalisation ..., AltGr dosn't seem to be a
    modifier.
    So how to set the modifiers ?
    Regards

    "tal0n19e" a écrit dans le message de news:
    1139133845.061317.33230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.c om...
    > pirouz djoharian wrote:
    >> hi
    >> i'm using debian (sarge, kernel 2.4.17, windows french kbd) on a dell
    >> inspiron 8200 laptop computer. i wanted to assign the dell and multimedia
    >> button, but now i have lost the ''shift'' and ''altgr'' keys. so i
    >> cannot
    >> type caps, except using the caps lock.
    >>
    >> i would like to know how to turn back to default configuration or how to
    >> restore the modifiers.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> pirouz

    > Decompress keymap file (eg
    > "/usr/share/keymap/i386/qwerty/pc101.kmap.gz" if you use i386
    > architecture and qwerty us kb.) and edit the decompressed file.
    > Finally, compress it and put it in "/etc/console/" as "boottime.kmap.gz"

  5. Re: keyboard pb

    On 2006-02-04, pirouz djoharian wrote:
    > hi
    > i'm using debian (sarge, kernel 2.4.17, windows french kbd) on a dell
    > inspiron 8200 laptop computer. i wanted to assign the dell and multimedia
    > button, but now i have lost the ''shift'' and ''altgr'' keys. so i cannot
    > type caps, except using the caps lock.
    >
    > i would like to know how to turn back to default configuration or how to
    > restore the modifiers.

    Might want to start next time with making a backup of the configuration
    file first.

    --
    Seth H Holmes

  6. Re: keyboard pb

    I agree with you completely...

  7. Re: keyboard pb

    Pirouz Djoharian wrote:

    > Thanks for your help. I tried
    > loadkeys -d
    > which configured the keyboard in qwerty mode, but the shift key was ok.
    > Afterwards I tried some azerty keymaps
    > fr-x11.kmap.gz
    > was ok, but the AltGr key doesn't work, as a modifier. So some chars are
    > still inaccessible (@, ], |, ...).
    > I decompressed the file and I changed the keycode corresponding to AltGr
    > (131, according to xev), but, after gzip and loadkeys it doesn't seem to
    > change anything ?!
    > Also in KDE Control Center, regionalisation ..., AltGr dosn't seem to be a
    > modifier.
    > So how to set the modifiers ?
    > Regards
    >
    > "tal0n19e" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 1139133845.061317.33230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.c om...
    >> pirouz djoharian wrote:
    >>> hi
    >>> i'm using debian (sarge, kernel 2.4.17, windows french kbd) on a dell
    >>> inspiron 8200 laptop computer. i wanted to assign the dell and
    >>> multimedia
    >>> button, but now i have lost the ''shift'' and ''altgr'' keys. so i
    >>> cannot
    >>> type caps, except using the caps lock.
    >>>
    >>> i would like to know how to turn back to default configuration or how to
    >>> restore the modifiers.
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> pirouz

    >> Decompress keymap file (eg
    >> "/usr/share/keymap/i386/qwerty/pc101.kmap.gz" if you use i386
    >> architecture and qwerty us kb.) and edit the decompressed file.
    >> Finally, compress it and put it in "/etc/console/" as "boottime.kmap.gz"

    to set the modifiers, I had to use xmodmap where each key symbol is set
    according to the following syntax
    keycode = keysymb keysymb_shifted keysymb_AltGr keysymb_AltGr_Shifted

    for example, for the french keyboard (fr-x11.keymap.gz) :
    keycode 20 = parenright degree bracketright questiondown
    When all the key symbols are defined in a file for example .xmodmaprc then
    load
    xmodmap .xmodmaprc

    But, there are probably other solutions (compose, multikey, ... ?), because
    my system was working fine without xmodmap before.

+ Reply to Thread