Repartitioning - Debian

  2. Re: Repartitioning

    Ed wrote:

    > I need to change (reduce) the size of a couple of ext2 partitions and
    > create a new fat32 partition using that space.
    > Is there a tool in Debian Sarge that can accoplish this or do I need some
    > kind of 3rd party thing?

    Afaik it is not possible to reduce the size of an ext2 partition without
    loosing data. I never tried out.

    It's done first with fsck.ext2 then resize2fs.

    man resize2fs
    If you wish to shrink an ext2 partition, first use resize2fs to shrink
    the size of filesystem. Then you may use fdisk(8) to shrink the size
    of the partition. When shrinking the size of the partition, make sure
    you do not make it smaller than the new size of the ext2 filesystem!

    Kind regards,
    Mike Massonnet.

    --
    You're too beautiful to ignore. Too much woman.
    -- Kirk to Yeoman Rand, "The Enemy Within", stardate unknown

  3. Re: Repartitioning

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:37:44 -0600, Ed wrote:

    > Is there a tool in Debian Sarge that can accoplish this or do I need some
    > kind of 3rd party thing?

    (g)parted

    gregor
    --