Generic apt-get question - Debian

This is a discussion on Generic apt-get question - Debian ; when running apt-get -s install foo, sometimes in results I get: 8> The following extra packages will be installed: blith666 Suggested packages: blah3.3 Recommended packages: J_Doe4.6 8> What should I do with the preceeding info? I always ignored it in ...

  1. Generic apt-get question

    when running apt-get -s install foo,

    sometimes in results I get:

    8><------
    blith666
    Suggested packages:
    blah3.3
    Recommended packages:
    J_Doe4.6
    8><---------------

    What should I do with the preceeding info?

    I always ignored it in the past, but was wondering if ignoring this type
    of thing can cause issues over the long term.

    in this case, I then did:

    8><------
    apt-get -s install blah3.3

    Suggested packages:
    blimey3.3
    8><---------------
    and so this went for 4-5 courses of this suggests that, etc.

    TYIA

    --
    dw

  2. Re: Generic apt-get question

    Hello

    linxlvr () wrote:

    > when running apt-get -s install foo,
    >
    > sometimes in results I get:
    >
    > 8><------
    > blith666
    > Suggested packages:
    > blah3.3
    > Recommended packages:
    > J_Doe4.6
    > 8><---------------
    >
    > What should I do with the preceeding info?

    That is up to you. These packages are optional, but they can add
    functions to the package you install. Maybe you don't need them, maybe
    you would like to have them. You can by the way use aptitude to
    automatically install Recommends: as well.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen