openoffice - Debian

This is a discussion on openoffice - Debian ; hi everyone, got a question regarding openoffice: on openoffice.org, its mentionned that 1.1.3 is the stable version for sarge. To get the 2.0.0, its possible through backports.org It is mentionned that it is possible to apt-get after updating the sources.list ...

  1. openoffice

    hi everyone,

    got a question regarding openoffice:
    on openoffice.org, its mentionned that 1.1.3 is the stable version for
    sarge. To get the 2.0.0, its possible through backports.org
    It is mentionned that it is possible to apt-get after updating the
    sources.list to a line (outdated it seems, as it still uses
    /pending/)mentionned on the site. I found the packages under
    http://www.backports.org/debian/pool...penoffice.org/, so i changed
    the line to deb http://www.backports.org/debian/pool...penoffice.org/ ./
    Running apt-get install openoffice.org gets me:
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    openoffice.org is already the newest version.
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://www.backports.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/www.backports.org_debian_pool_main_o_openoffice.or g_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

    what did i wrong?

    thanks

    Paul

  2. Re: openoffice

    Hello

    polux () wrote:

    > got a question regarding openoffice:
    > on openoffice.org, its mentionned that 1.1.3 is the stable version for
    > sarge. To get the 2.0.0, its possible through backports.org
    > It is mentionned that it is possible to apt-get after updating the
    > sources.list to a line (outdated it seems, as it still uses
    > /pending/)mentionned on the site. I found the packages under
    > http://www.backports.org/debian/pool...penoffice.org/, so i
    > changed the line to deb
    > http://www.backports.org/debian/pool...penoffice.org/ ./

    That is wrong. You need to point apt to the directory with the package
    files for OpenOffice.org, not to the pool directory. You also forgot to
    set stable as your default distribution. Please read the instructions
    before you go on:

    http://www.backports.org/instructions.html

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270

  3. Re: openoffice

    > That is wrong. You need to point apt to the directory with the package
    > files for OpenOffice.org, not to the pool directory. You also forgot to
    > set stable as your default distribution. Please read the instructions
    > before you go on:
    >
    > http://www.backports.org/instructions.html
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    thanks Andreas,

    I have two more questions:
    - what makes you say that i forgot to set stable as my default dis?
    - the instructions ask to add lines to etc/apt/preferences, i don't see
    any file or dir except for sources.list and etc/apt/apt.conf.d

    Paul

  4. Re: openoffice

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:49:18 +0100, polux wrote:

    > - the instructions ask to add lines to etc/apt/preferences, i don't see
    > any file or dir except for sources.list and etc/apt/apt.conf.d

    Well, than maybe you should just create /etc/apt/preferences
    :-)
    For details see man apt_preferences

    gre "this file is not created by the default install" gor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : infos zur usenet-hierarchie at.*: http://www.usenet.at/

  5. Re: openoffice

    Hello

    polux () wrote:
    Andreas Janssen () wrote:

    >> That is wrong. You need to point apt to the directory with the
    >> package files for OpenOffice.org, not to the pool directory. You also
    >> forgot to set stable as your default distribution. Please read the
    >> instructions before you go on:
    >>
    >> http://www.backports.org/instructions.html

    > I have two more questions:
    > - what makes you say that i forgot to set stable as my default dis?

    You didn't mention you did it, while you described all the other changes
    you made.

    > - the instructions ask to add lines to etc/apt/preferences, i don't
    > see any file or dir except for sources.list and etc/apt/apt.conf.d

    Create it. To set stable as the default release, you can also use

    APT:efault-Release "stable";

    in your apt.conf, this will pin all "stable" packages to priority 990.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
    Registered Linux User #267976
    http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html

  6. Re: openoffice

    Andreas,

    i created the etc/apt/preferences, added the lines mentionned in the
    instructions, then run apt-get update

    Hit http://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/main Packages
    Hit http://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/main Release
    Hit http://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/contrib Packages
    Hit http://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/contrib Release
    Hit http://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/main Sources
    Hit http://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/main Release
    Hit http://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/contrib Sources
    Hit http://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/contrib Release
    Get:1 http://www.backports.org sarge-backports/main Packages [188kB]
    Get:2 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages [174kB]
    Hit ftp://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/main Packages
    Hit ftp://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/main Release
    Hit ftp://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/main Sources
    Hit ftp://ftp.debian.skynet.be stable/main Release
    Get:3 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release [110B]
    Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages
    Get:4 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Release [113B]
    Get:5 http://www.backports.org sarge-backports/main Release [119B]
    Fetched 363kB in 2s (162kB/s)
    Reading Package Lists... Done

    then apt-get install openoffice.org.
    I got following msg:

    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    that package should be filed.

    openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-base but it is not going to be install ed
    E: Broken packages

    thanks a lot for your help,

    Paul

  7. Re: openoffice

    Hello

    polux () wrote:

    > Andreas,
    >
    > i created the etc/apt/preferences, added the lines mentionned in the
    > instructions, then run apt-get update
    >
    > [...]
    > Reading Package Lists... Done
    >
    > then apt-get install openoffice.org.
    > I got following msg:
    >
    > Reading Package Lists... Done
    > Building Dependency Tree... Done
    > Some packages could not be installed.
    > [...]
    > openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-base but it is not going to
    > be install ed
    > E: Broken packages

    Try `apt-get install openoffice.org openoffice.org-base`
    This should show you what exactly the conflict is. If you run into the
    same problem with another package that "is not going to be installed",
    add that one to the list as well.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
    Registered Linux User #267976
    http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html

  8. Re: openoffice

    > Try `apt-get install openoffice.org openoffice.org-base` This should show
    > you what exactly the conflict is. If you run into the same problem with
    > another package that "is not going to be installed", add that one to the
    > list as well.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    here we go:
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    openoffice.org-base: Depends: java-gcj-compat but it is not installable or
    j2re1.4 but it is not installable or
    java2-runtime but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages

  9. Re: openoffice

    Hello

    polux () wrote:

    >> Try `apt-get install openoffice.org openoffice.org-base` This should
    >> show you what exactly the conflict is. If you run into the same
    >> problem with another package that "is not going to be installed", add
    >> that one to the list as well.

    > openoffice.org-base: Depends: java-gcj-compat but it is not
    > installable or
    > j2re1.4 but it is not installable or
    > java2-runtime but it is not
    > installable

    Looks like you need to install Java. There are several ways, e.g.:

    1. get java from debian-unofficial.org
    2. get the bin file (not the RPM) from java.sun.com and build a deb from
    that using java-package/make-jpkg

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
    Registered Linux User #267976
    http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html

  10. Re: openoffice

    > Looks like you need to install Java. There are several ways, e.g.:
    >
    > 1. get java from debian-unofficial.org 2. get the bin file (not the RPM)
    > from java.sun.com and build a deb from that using java-package/make-jpkg
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen

    thanks for your advice Andreas, but you realise i'm a newbie, right? ;-))
    i'll see what i can do
    good evening and a nice weekend,

    Paul

  11. Re: openoffice

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:35:42 +0100, polux wrote:

    >> Looks like you need to install Java. There are several ways, e.g.:

    <>
    > thanks for your advice Andreas, but you realise i'm a newbie, right? ;-))
    > i'll see what i can do

    <>

    This thread should help you install Java. It's actually very easy.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread