usb support with dell inspiron 1100 - Debian

This is a discussion on usb support with dell inspiron 1100 - Debian ; I install debian sarge on my laptop, a dell inspiron 1100 and it looked like everything was going fine until I plugged my ipod into the usb port and nothing happened. It doesn't see my external cdrom either. I assume ...

  1. usb support with dell inspiron 1100

    I install debian sarge on my laptop, a dell inspiron 1100 and it
    looked like everything was going fine until I plugged my ipod into
    the usb port and nothing happened. It doesn't see my external
    cdrom either. I assume the usb support is lacking. I've never
    run across this with other distributions. How do I go about
    resolving it?

  2. Re: usb support with dell inspiron 1100

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:30:20 GMT, Ed LaBonte wrote:
    > I install debian sarge on my laptop, a dell inspiron 1100 and it
    > looked like everything was going fine until I plugged my ipod into
    > the usb port and nothing happened. It doesn't see my external
    > cdrom either. I assume the usb support is lacking. I've never
    > run across this with other distributions. How do I go about
    > resolving it?

    I'd start by running dmesg in a terminal side by side and seeing if the
    USB devices show up or not. I've had good luck with installing the
    Debian Etch beta net installers of late and using a variety of USB
    devices. This is with a 2.6 kernel though.

    I don't recall if you can get 2.6 on Debian Sarge or if you have to do a
    custom install. The CD net installers often offer a linux26 equivalent
    which will do a 2.6 kernel install. The Etch installer is very nice and
    will do a 2.6 kernel by default. I just built a laptop and desktop using
    the same net installer. I usually then take the systems to unstable
    because its just what I do. USB works very well for me even after they
    give me kernel sources and tell me to do whatever I want :-)

    --
    Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

+ Reply to Thread