Config of Debian (kernel?) IDE disk lookups - Debian

This is a discussion on Config of Debian (kernel?) IDE disk lookups - Debian ; I have a problem after a severe server upgrade. We upgraded from a IDE/SCSI to a full SCSI setup. Strangely, even after removing every hdx reference we tought of the kernel is referring to /hda /hdb /hdc /hdd while we ...

  1. Config of Debian (kernel?) IDE disk lookups

    I have a problem after a severe server upgrade.

    We upgraded from a IDE/SCSI to a full SCSI setup.
    Strangely, even after removing every hdx reference we tought of the kernel
    is referring to /hda /hdb /hdc /hdd while we have only /hda cdrom now.

    This is slowing down the server startup enormously.

    /etc/fstab is changed alright and /etc/hdparm and /etc/smart settings are
    changed also.

    I've seen that installing Debian on other machines is setting this config to
    the right number of /hdx configuration disks, but I've got no clue where
    this config could be stored.

    output of dmesg:
    hda: PHILIPS CDRWDVD3210, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xfffff4f8)
    hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xfffff4f8)
    hdc: no response (status = 0x0a), resetting drive
    hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xfffff4f8)
    hdc: no response (status = 0x0a)
    hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xfffff4f8)
    hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xfffff4f8)
    hdd: no response (status = 0x0a), resetting drive
    hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xfffff4f8)
    hdd: no response (status = 0x0a)

    and further down again:
    VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:04.1
    VP_IDE: chipset revision 16
    VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    VP_IDE: VIA vt82c596b (rev 23) IDE UDMA66 controller on pci0000:00:04.1
    VP_IDE: port 0x01f0 already claimed by ide0
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdcio, hddio
    hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xffffa4f8)
    hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xffffa4f8)
    hdc: no response (status = 0x0a), resetting drive
    hdc: IRQ probe failed (0xffffa4f8)
    hdc: no response (status = 0x0a)
    hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xffffa4f8)
    hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xffffa4f8)
    hdd: no response (status = 0x0a), resetting drive
    hdd: IRQ probe failed (0xffffa4f8)
    hdd: no response (status = 0x0a)

    Thanks for any sugggestions

    David

  2. Re: Config of Debian (kernel?) IDE disk lookups

    Bill Marcum berichtte ons:

    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:58:31 +0100, dalo
    > wrote:
    >> I have a problem after a severe server upgrade.
    >>
    >> We upgraded from a IDE/SCSI to a full SCSI setup.
    >> Strangely, even after removing every hdx reference we tought of the
    >> kernel is referring to /hda /hdb /hdc /hdd while we have only /hda cdrom
    >> now.
    >>

    > Have you turned off the second IDE interface in the BIOS?

    Yes, that was one of the last tries i've did, and it changed nothing during
    kernel boot.

    Strangely it seems to me that these hdx scan setup are being set during
    system setup.

    David

+ Reply to Thread