Where can ncurses be found? - Debian

This is a discussion on Where can ncurses be found? - Debian ; Being somewhat new to Debain and trying to compile a new kernel, I was disapointed to discover that ncurses wasn't installed as part of the basic install. (Meant I couldn't use xconfig as part of the process.) So I went ...

  1. Where can ncurses be found?

    Being somewhat new to Debain and trying to compile a new kernel, I was
    disapointed to discover that ncurses wasn't installed as part of the
    basic install. (Meant I couldn't use xconfig as part of the process.)
    So I went to the debian website and browsed packages in the
    stable-development area and didn't find it.

    Can anybody tell where to find ncurses?

  2. Re: Where can ncurses be found?

    On 10 Jan 2006 06:45:24 -0800, Keith wrote:
    > Being somewhat new to Debain and trying to compile a new kernel, I was
    > disapointed to discover that ncurses wasn't installed as part of the
    > basic install. (Meant I couldn't use xconfig as part of the process.)

    Of course ncurses is installed as part of the basic install. What
    isn't installed is the part of it needed for development, though.
    Besides, for xconfig you'd need tk8.4-dev or libqt3-mt-dev (for 2.4 or
    2.6 kernel, respectively).

    > So I went to the debian website and browsed packages in the
    > stable-development area and didn't find it.

    $ apt-cache search ncurses develop

    > Can anybody tell where to find ncurses?

    If you want the development files needed for "make menuconfig" you'll
    find them in the libncurses5-dev package. For "make xconfig" please
    see above.

    HTH,
    Flo

  3. Re: Where can ncurses be found?

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:45:24 -0800, Keith wrote:

    > Being somewhat new to Debain and trying to compile a new kernel, I was
    > disapointed to discover that ncurses wasn't installed as part of the
    > basic install. (Meant I couldn't use xconfig as part of the process.)
    > So I went to the debian website and browsed packages in the
    > stable-development area and didn't find it.
    >
    > Can anybody tell where to find ncurses?

    libncurses5-dev I think is what you are after, the runtime libraries will
    be installed by default (IIRC) but you will require the development files
    to do make menuconfig.

  4. Re: Where can ncurses be found?

    and James wrote:
    > libncurses5-dev I think is what you are after, the runtime libraries will
    > be installed by default (IIRC) but you will require the development files
    > to do make menuconfig.

    Thanks to both of you. I always appreciate a pointer in the right
    direction.

+ Reply to Thread