apt-get and major version - Debian

This is a discussion on apt-get and major version - Debian ; Hi, I am new to Debian and especially apt-get. I had tried Google for this issue but I could not fnd any. Perhaps I have an oversiht. Will apt-get update to major version upgrade? For example Debian 2.x to 3.x ...

  1. apt-get and major version

    Hi,

    I am new to Debian and especially apt-get. I had tried Google for this
    issue but I could not fnd any. Perhaps I have an oversiht.

    Will apt-get update to major version upgrade? For example Debian 2.x to
    3.x or 1.x to 3.x

    Thanks.
    --
    Adrian Hoe
    http://adrianhoe.net

  2. Re: apt-get and major version

    On 9 Jan 2006 09:21:52 -0800, Adrian Hoe wrote:
    > Will apt-get update to major version upgrade? For example Debian 2.x to
    > 3.x or 1.x to 3.x

    Yes and no. Basically Debian tries to ensure smoothless upgradability
    between releases. Skipping intermediate releases, however, is not
    officially supported, so it's preferrable to gradually update from one
    release to the next.
    Generally it's advisable to closely read the Release Notes for the
    release to which one intends to update, please see
    as well as further links for
    details.

    HTH,
    Flo

  3. Re: apt-get and major version

    Thanks Florian,

    Does it allow to specify which release to update?

    Say, I am on 2.x and there are 3.0, 3.1r0, 3.1r1.
    --
    Adrian Hoe
    http://adrianhoe.net

  4. Re: apt-get and major version

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:09:26 -0800, Adrian Hoe wrote:

    > Thanks Florian,
    >
    > Does it allow to specify which release to update?
    >
    > Say, I am on 2.x and there are 3.0, 3.1r0, 3.1r1.

    Hi,

    On http://www.debian.org/releases/ it will explain what the
    names are.

    2.2 potato
    3.0 woody=OLD stable
    3.1 sarge=CURRENT stable
    etch=CURRENT testing
    sid=CURRENT unstable

    It will upgrade from potato to woody to sarge to........ In order. As the
    other post says jumping is not recommended.

    Steve

  5. Re: apt-get and major version

    Ok. In order to update from potato to sid, I will have to do "apt-get
    update" 4 times. Right?

    Is there a way to tell which release I have currently?
    --
    Adrian Hoe
    http://adrianhoe.net

  6. Re: apt-get and major version

    On 10 Jan 2006 05:17:20 -0800, Adrian Hoe wrote in
    alt.os.linux.debian:

    > Ok. In order to update from potato to sid, I will have to do "apt-get
    > update" 4 times. Right?

    Yes.

    Potato to Woody
    Woody to Sarge
    Sarge to Etch
    Etch to Sid

    You'll find detailed instructions here:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...-woody.en.html

    At some point, apt's cache limit will probably be too small for the
    number of new packages, so you'll have to do something like this, to
    increase the cache limit:

    # apt-get -o APT::Cache-Limit=16777216 update

    Once you have Sarge, this shouldn't be a problem.

    > Is there a way to tell which release I have currently?

    The information is probably in /etc/debian_version, unless it was
    included in a different file in old versions. If that doesn't work,
    you can deduce a lot from the installed versions of packages,
    especially the kernel.

    Since you installed recently, you're unlikely to have a very old
    version unless you used a very old CD. I'm betting you've got either
    Woody or Sarge.

    PJR :-)

+ Reply to Thread