SCSI emulation - Debian

This is a discussion on SCSI emulation - Debian ; i recently posted this question regarding on how to set up scsi emulation for both my CDRom drives. this is a older box with a AMD K6 @500 mhz & the kernel that i am using is 2.4.27. i do ...

  1. SCSI emulation

    i recently posted this question regarding on how to set up scsi emulation
    for both my CDRom drives.
    this is a older box with a AMD K6 @500 mhz & the kernel that i am using is
    2.4.27. i do not want to install a 2.6.* kernel because of other reasons.
    all i would like to know is what entries / changes i need to add to fstab &
    other related files to get scsi emulation working.
    thanx
    --
    "The philosophy behind Free, Open Source Software has parallels in several
    cultures which practice ethical cooperaton. Perhaps that's why it threatens

  2. Re: SCSI emulation

    fatboy wrote:
    > i recently posted this question regarding on how to set up scsi emulation
    > for both my CDRom drives.
    > this is a older box with a AMD K6 @500 mhz & the kernel that i am using is
    > 2.4.27. i do not want to install a 2.6.* kernel because of other reasons.
    > all i would like to know is what entries / changes i need to add to fstab &
    > other related files to get scsi emulation working.

    I handle my CD-RW SCSI emulation via kernel boot option. In my
    particular case, I have this as part of my default boot in my
    /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz ro hdc=scsi

    The hdc=scsi option is sufficient to take the CD-RW drive, that would
    otherwise appear as /dev/hdc, and have it instead work as /dev/scd0

  3. Re: SCSI emulation

    Michael Paoli wrote:

    > I handle my CD-RW SCSI emulation via kernel boot option. In my
    > particular case, I have this as part of my default boot in my
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz ro hdc=scsi

    i appreciate the reply. i will try this later this evening.

    > The hdc=scsi option is sufficient to take the CD-RW drive, that would
    > otherwise appear as /dev/hdc, and have it instead work as /dev/scd0

    is that all? would i need to also make a symlink somewhere?
    i appreciate your help.

    --
    "The philosophy behind Free, Open Source Software has parallels in several
    cultures which practice ethical cooperaton. Perhaps that's why it threatens
    unethical business practices which feed on the unknowing."
    -- Bassam A. Hassan. CoFounder of the ILUG,
    Vice president of the former IOSO,

  4. Re: SCSI emulation

    fatboy wrote:
    > Michael Paoli wrote:
    > > I handle my CD-RW SCSI emulation via kernel boot option. In my
    > > particular case, I have this as part of my default boot in my
    > > /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    > > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz ro hdc=scsi
    > > The hdc=scsi option is sufficient to take the CD-RW drive, that would
    > > otherwise appear as /dev/hdc, and have it instead work as /dev/scd0

    > is that all? would i need to also make a symlink somewhere?

    I don't think there are any particular links you need to make, except
    possibly something like /dev/cdrom, if you want it to link to the
    appropriate device.

+ Reply to Thread