Debian problem - please help - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian problem - please help - Debian ; I wonder if you can help me. I have just installed Debian Sarge on my Desktop PC. I have a dual-boot setup with Windows XP on 1 drive and Debian Sarge on the other. I installed GRUB to allow me ...

  1. Debian problem - please help

    I wonder if you can help me.

    I have just installed Debian Sarge on my Desktop PC.

    I have a dual-boot setup with Windows XP on 1 drive and Debian Sarge on
    the
    other. I installed GRUB to allow me to choose between the two at boot-up.

    I selected Debian from the GRUB menu and Debian went through its start-up
    process.

    However, when it had finished I was left with the Linux prompt (i.e. $).
    tried doing an ls command but it said I didn't have permission. What I
    would
    like to do is to setup a GUI like KDE.

    Can someone tell me how I can setup Debian Sarge so that it will
    automatically start in KDE or something similar?

    I hope you can help me.

    I appreciate any help or information given.

    Thanks!

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

  2. Re: Debian problem - please help

    Hallo Neil,

    * Neil Hindry :
    > Can someone tell me how I can setup Debian Sarge so that it will
    > automatically start in KDE or something similar?

    Just install kde and kdm. You can do this from the installer at the
    very first system setup or later eg with "apt-get install kde kdm" as
    root or start aptitude as root and do it interactive.

    Greets, Felix

    --
    | /"\ ASCII Ribbon | Felix M. Palmen (Zirias) http://zirias.ath.cx/ |
    | \ / Campaign Against | fmp@palmen.homeip.net encrypted mail welcome |