a couple of questions - Debian

This is a discussion on a couple of questions - Debian ; Hi last year, i installed debian sarge with the debian 3 installer. the installation was flawless. however i noticed that the CD ROM & the CD burner did not have SCSI emulation enabled. how do i go about enabling the ...

  1. a couple of questions

    Hi
    last year, i installed debian sarge with the debian 3 installer. the
    installation was flawless. however i noticed that the CD ROM & the CD
    burner did not have SCSI emulation enabled. how do i go about enabling the
    SCSI emulation for both drives?

    also, when it came to the part about setting up the EXIM mail server, i
    chose not to do anything at the time, however since then, i found that i
    need to set it up in order for KMail to work. i vaguely remember that there
    was a command for dpkg to set it up, but i dont remember exactly what it
    was.
    any help is appreciated.

    --
    "The philosophy behind Free, Open Source Software has parallels in several
    cultures which practice ethical cooperaton. Perhaps that's why it threatens

  2. Re: a couple of questions

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:26:55 -0500, fatboy wrote in
    alt.os.linux.debian:

    > Hi
    > last year, i installed debian sarge with the debian 3 installer. the
    > installation was flawless. however i noticed that the CD ROM & the CD
    > burner did not have SCSI emulation enabled. how do i go about enabling the
    > SCSI emulation for both drives?

    Short answer: you probably don't need SCSI emulation if you're using a
    2.6 kernel. If you haven't got a 2.6 kernel, apt-get...

    > also, when it came to the part about setting up the EXIM mail server, i
    > chose not to do anything at the time, however since then, i found that i
    > need to set it up in order for KMail to work. i vaguely remember that there
    > was a command for dpkg to set it up, but i dont remember exactly what it
    > was.
    > any help is appreciated.

    # dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

    PJR :-)
    --
    alt.usenet.kooks award-winners and FAQ:

  3. Re: a couple of questions

    Peter J Ross wrote:

    > Short answer: you probably don't need SCSI emulation if you're using a
    > 2.6 kernel. If you haven't got a 2.6 kernel, apt-get...

    i am running this on a older box with a AMD K6 processor @ 500mhz
    it is currently running kernel 2.4.27
    synaptic shows several 2.6.* kernels. which one should i use that wont break
    the system.

    --
    "The philosophy behind Free, Open Source Software has parallels in several
    cultures which practice ethical cooperaton. Perhaps that's why it threatens
    unethical business practices which feed on the unknowing."
    -- Bassam A. Hassan. CoFounder of the ILUG,
    Vice president of the former IOSO,

  4. Re: a couple of questions

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:26:55 -0500, fatboy wrote:

    > Hi
    > last year, i installed debian sarge with the debian 3 installer. the
    > installation was flawless. however i noticed that the CD ROM & the CD
    > burner did not have SCSI emulation enabled. how do i go about enabling the
    > SCSI emulation for both drives?

    It's been a while but.....

    It seems like when I apt-get installed k3b, it asked if I wanted to set up
    SCSI emulation and just did it for me.

    There are many here that know more than I do. I hope they can tell me if
    my memory is failing. ;-)

    Steve

  5. Re: a couple of questions

    fatboy wrote:

    > also, when it came to the part about setting up the EXIM mail server, i
    > chose not to do anything at the time, however since then, i found that i
    > need to set it up in order for KMail to work. i vaguely remember that
    > there was a command for dpkg to set it up, but i dont remember exactly
    > what it was.
    > any help is appreciated.

    I use Kmail without EXIM and have done so for several years. Why do you
    need to set up EXIM? Do you want to have a central post office for several
    machines or just one machine with several users? EXIM is one of the first
    pacakage I remove after a fresh install as on our home network there is no
    need for it.

    kegwasher

  6. Re: a couple of questions

    kegwasher wrote:

    > I use Kmail without EXIM and have done so for several years. Why do you
    > need to set up EXIM? Do you want to have a central post office for
    > several
    > machines or just one machine with several users? EXIM is one of the first
    > pacakage I remove after a fresh install as on our home network there is no
    > need for it.
    >
    > kegwasher

    i was under the impression from the installer that in order for me to be
    able to have any email capabillity that i needed to have a MTA installed &
    configured.
    so....your saying that i can safely remove exim from my debian installation
    without it affecting KMail & my isp's pop3 server.
    --
    "The philosophy behind Free, Open Source Software has parallels in several
    cultures which practice ethical cooperaton. Perhaps that's why it threatens
    unethical business practices which feed on the unknowing."
    -- Bassam A. Hassan. CoFounder of the ILUG,
    Vice president of the former IOSO,

  7. Re: a couple of questions

    fatboy wrote:

    > i was under the impression from the installer that in order for me to be
    > able to have any email capabillity that i needed to have a MTA installed &
    > configured.
    > so....your saying that i can safely remove exim from my debian
    > installation without it affecting KMail & my isp's pop3 server.

    If you are connecting to the mail server at your ISP then no you do not need
    to have a local MTA installed. Just go into Kmails setup and set your
    ISP's data into the receive and send tabs and all should work.

  8. Re: a couple of questions

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:24:11 -0500, fatboy wrote in
    alt.os.linux.debian:

    > Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    >> Short answer: you probably don't need SCSI emulation if you're using a
    >> 2.6 kernel. If you haven't got a 2.6 kernel, apt-get...

    > i am running this on a older box with a AMD K6 processor @ 500mhz
    > it is currently running kernel 2.4.27
    > synaptic shows several 2.6.* kernels. which one should i use that wont break
    > the system.

    kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386 or -686 ought to work. There is no longer a
    separate k6 binary for the 2.6 kernel.

    If your new kernel is unsatisfactory, you'll be able to reboot with
    your old kernel as long as you haven't removed it. I suggest checking
    your LILO/GRUB configuration before rebooting just to make sure that
    it will be available.

    /etc/lilo.conf
    or
    /boot/grub/menu.lst

    If you're feeling adventurous, you can always try compiling an
    optimised kernel from source.

    Some CD/DVD software (e.g. X-CDRoast) will still warn you about the
    lack of SCSI emulation even with a 2.6 kernel, but this warning can
    safely be ignored.

    PJR :-)
    --
    Nominations for the Richbull.com Memorial Award:
    http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-faq/nominations.html

+ Reply to Thread