Debian Sarge problem ? please help (also in alt.linux) - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian Sarge problem ? please help (also in alt.linux) - Debian ; I wonder if you can help me. I have a Debian Sarge DVD from a magazine and I tried to install it on my Desktop PC. It got so far then I had a problem. I booted my PC from ...

  1. Debian Sarge problem ? please help (also in alt.linux)

    I wonder if you can help me.

    I have a Debian Sarge DVD from a magazine and I tried to install it on my
    Desktop PC. It got so far then I had a problem.

    I booted my PC from the DVD and after a few seconds I was faced with a
    prompt. At the prompt I pressed enter without typing anything.
    The installation started, I selected my Location (UK) and keyboard layout
    and then it started the installation and displayed a progress bar to tell
    me how it was getting on.

    However, when it got to 91% it froze and would not go any further.
    At the time the following information was on the screen:-

    Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM drives.
    Progress bar was up to 91%

    I assume that as the installer froze at this stage there is some problem
    with one of the CD/DVD drives. I have a Sony DVD-ROM (DDU1612) and I have
    an NEC DVD ND-2500A DVD writer. Both of these drives have worked fine in
    other Linux distributions.

    Does anyone know why the installer froze?

    Has anyone else experienced this?

    How can I get the installation to continue rather than freeze?

    I hope you can help me.

    I appreciate any help or information given.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Debian Sarge problem ? please help (also in alt.linux)

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:49:25 +0000, Neil Hindry wrote:

    <>
    > Does anyone know why the installer froze?

    This is just a guess. Read the Eratta section about SATA drivers. I ended
    up downloading one of the Testing install cds and using expert install to
    not load all of the modules.

    http://www.us.debian.org/releases/st...ian-installer/

    > Has anyone else experienced this?

    If it is a SATA problem, yes.

    > How can I get the installation to continue rather than freeze?

    It is on the web page above. I used a Testing cd to get Debian installed.
    I run unstable though. The work around should work for Sarge though.

    What motherboard/processor are you using? How long did you wait for it to
    unfreeze?

    When I had my SATA problem, it 'froze' for a minute or three? and
    then reported back it couldn't locate the cd.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread