Firefox, Thunderbird & default programs - Debian

This is a discussion on Firefox, Thunderbird & default programs - Debian ; I'm running Debian Sarge and I'm having this weird little problem that I can't fix. I upgraded from Mozilla to Firefox and Thunderbird but those two programs don't seem to quite recognize it! If I click on a mailto: link ...

  1. Firefox, Thunderbird & default programs

    I'm running Debian Sarge and I'm having this weird little problem that I
    can't fix. I upgraded from Mozilla to Firefox and Thunderbird but those
    two programs don't seem to quite recognize it!

    If I click on a mailto: link in Firefox, it tries to open Mozilla -
    which I have uninstalled the mail parts (a complete uninstall uninstalls
    too much). If I click on a web link in Thunderbird, it opens Konqueror.

    I tried using KDE to associate HTML files with Firefox, but that just
    screws up Konqueror when I click on a link within it - It wants to know
    if it should save the page or open it in Firefox.

    I can't find any settings in either program to tell them how to handle
    the content correctly. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Firefox, Thunderbird & default programs

    Gary Dale wrote:

    > I'm running Debian Sarge and I'm having this weird little problem that I
    > can't fix. I upgraded from Mozilla to Firefox and Thunderbird but those
    > two programs don't seem to quite recognize it!
    >
    > If I click on a mailto: link in Firefox, it tries to open Mozilla -
    > which I have uninstalled the mail parts (a complete uninstall uninstalls
    > too much). If I click on a web link in Thunderbird, it opens Konqueror.
    >
    > I tried using KDE to associate HTML files with Firefox, but that just
    > screws up Konqueror when I click on a link within it - It wants to know
    > if it should save the page or open it in Firefox.
    >
    > I can't find any settings in either program to tell them how to handle
    > the content correctly. Any suggestions?

    Hi,

    First close Firefox and Thunderbird.
    Then add the following 3 lines to ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/prefs.js

    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/path/to/firefox");
    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/path/to/firefox");
    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/path/to/firefox");

    And the following line to ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/prefs.js

    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "/path/to/thunderbird");

    --
    for mail remove -spamtrap- (2times)

+ Reply to Thread