Random Disconnections - Debian

This is a discussion on Random Disconnections - Debian ; I just started renting a dedicated server. It has Debian 3.1 loaded on it and is on a 100Mbit connection. At random times during the day (at least once an hour) I get disconnected. SSH, FTP, and my game server ...

  1. Random Disconnections

    I just started renting a dedicated server. It has Debian 3.1 loaded on
    it and is on a 100Mbit connection. At random times during the day (at
    least once an hour) I get disconnected. SSH, FTP, and my game server
    all get disconnected. I have contacted my servers tech support and they
    say everything is perfectly fine.

    I am new to linux but figure this must be a networking error. Putty
    returns an error that only comes up when it can no longer reach the
    server. I would like to figure out exactly what is happening. Is there
    some kind of program I can run that will be able to test the connection
    constantly and document when and maybe even why the brief interuptions
    in service are occuring? The more evidence I have to show tech support
    the better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    * PUTTY ERROR INFO *
    http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/...rs-connaborted

  2. Re: Random Disconnections

    In article <1135231242.099322.96420@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    mulsiphix@gmail.com wrote:
    > I just started renting a dedicated server. It has Debian 3.1 loaded on
    > it and is on a 100Mbit connection. At random times during the day (at
    > least once an hour) I get disconnected. SSH, FTP, and my game server
    > all get disconnected. I have contacted my servers tech support and they
    > say everything is perfectly fine.
    >
    > I am new to linux but figure this must be a networking error. Putty
    > returns an error that only comes up when it can no longer reach the
    > server. I would like to figure out exactly what is happening. Is there
    > some kind of program I can run that will be able to test the connection
    > constantly and document when and maybe even why the brief interuptions
    > in service are occuring? The more evidence I have to show tech support
    > the better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > * PUTTY ERROR INFO *
    > http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/...rs-connaborted

    You didn't mention how you are connecting to the server.

    Is it, by any chance, through a firewall?

    Many of them have a session timeout built in that will disconnect a session
    after it has been connected, for some specified period of time. Usually
    if the session is inactive for a time. Frequently the inactivity timeout
    is rather short, 3-5 minutes.

    I had this problem with SSH sessions to my mailserver, in our DMZ.

    In my case the session, on the server, was still active, I'd simply lost the
    connection to it.

    Our network administrator, finally, found the parameter setting in the firwall
    and disabled it.

    Hope this helps.