Greater than 2GB file support - Debian

This is a discussion on Greater than 2GB file support - Debian ; Hi, I'm really running into a problem with ext3 on debian-stable where I need files larger than 2GB. Is there any other file system supported by debian like XFS or Reiser that does not have this limitation (and that can ...

  1. Greater than 2GB file support

    Hi,

    I'm really running into a problem with ext3 on debian-stable where I
    need files larger than 2GB. Is there any other file system supported
    by debian like XFS or Reiser that does not have this limitation (and
    that can easily be installed with apt-get). I did find some XFS
    packages but it says to only use them for creating install disks.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Greater than 2GB file support

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:54:44 -0800, Ian East wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm really running into a problem with ext3 on debian-stable where I
    > need files larger than 2GB. Is there any other file system supported
    > by debian like XFS or Reiser that does not have this limitation (and
    > that can easily be installed with apt-get). I did find some XFS
    > packages but it says to only use them for creating install disks.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    According to the appendix of the SuSE Admin manual, the max file size for
    ext2 with 1kb block size is 2048 GB - are you sure that's your problem?

  3. Re: Greater than 2GB file support

    Ian East wisely stated:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm really running into a problem with ext3 on debian-stable where I
    > need files larger than 2GB. Is there any other file system supported
    > by debian like XFS or Reiser that does not have this limitation (and
    > that can easily be installed with apt-get). I did find some XFS
    > packages but it says to only use them for creating install disks.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Ext3 should support file sizes larger than 2 GB. I run Debian using ReiserFS
    and it certainly does.;-)
    Are you trying to store this file over the network? If you are, and are
    using some kind of NetBIOS or CIFS I believe I've heard of this problem
    before. Try to use FTP to tranfer the file if it's over your LAN too.

    Hans Poppe
    --
    There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary numbers, and those
    who don't.

  4. Re: Greater than 2GB file support

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:54:44 -0800, Ian East wrote:

    > I'm really running into a problem with ext3 on debian-stable where I
    > need files larger than 2GB. Is there any other file system supported
    > by debian like XFS or Reiser that does not have this limitation (and
    > that can easily be installed with apt-get). I did find some XFS
    > packages but it says to only use them for creating install disks.

    What exactly are you trying to do that is not working?

    I was running Reiserfs and had trouble copying a 4 Gig file. Kept stopping
    at 2 Gigs. Turned out it was the program that wouldn't support over 2 Gig,
    not the file system. I figured it out after several people assured me that
    Debian has had large file support for quite some time.

    http://www.jetico.com/linux/bcrypt-help/l_requi.htm

    There are several sites that have the size limitations of Linux filesystems.

    Steve

  5. Re: Greater than 2GB file support

    Ian East wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm really running into a problem with ext3 on debian-stable where I
    > need files larger than 2GB. Is there any other file system supported
    > by debian like XFS or Reiser that does not have this limitation (and
    > that can easily be installed with apt-get). I did find some XFS
    > packages but it says to only use them for creating install disks.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    I have a 4Gb file on a ext3 partition with no problem at all...
    It's a virtual disc for qemu that was originaly created on another ext3
    partition and later moved to the ext3 partition that is sitting on.
    Moving the file was no problem.

    My system is Debian.

    Are you sure your partition is ext3?

    Regards
    Amarok

  6. Re: Greater than 2GB file support

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:30:07 -0700, SteveSch
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:54:44 -0800, Ian East wrote:
    >
    >> I'm really running into a problem with ext3 on debian-stable where I
    >> need files larger than 2GB. Is there any other file system supported
    >> by debian like XFS or Reiser that does not have this limitation (and
    >> that can easily be installed with apt-get). I did find some XFS
    >> packages but it says to only use them for creating install disks.

    >What exactly are you trying to do that is not working?
    >
    >I was running Reiserfs and had trouble copying a 4 Gig file. Kept stopping
    >at 2 Gigs. Turned out it was the program that wouldn't support over 2 Gig,
    >not the file system. I figured it out after several people assured me that
    >Debian has had large file support for quite some time.
    >
    >http://www.jetico.com/linux/bcrypt-help/l_requi.htm
    >
    >There are several sites that have the size limitations of Linux filesystems.
    >
    >Steve

    Sorry for the late reply. This actually turned out to be an Apache
    2GB log file size limitation.

+ Reply to Thread