I broke it! - Debian

This is a discussion on I broke it! - Debian ; Synaptic had been offering a kernel update for some time for Debian on my triple boot system. Having done a personal files backup, I decided to try it ... and accepted the offer for something in the works to re-write ...

  1. I broke it!

    Synaptic had been offering a kernel update for some time for Debian on my
    triple boot system. Having done a personal files backup, I decided to try
    it ... and accepted the offer for something in the works to re-write the
    boot loader (it told me it knew about the other Linux systems) ... but on
    re-boot, I couldn't get the other OSs, only Debian. I've had boot problems
    on an off over the past few months (I'm a relative newbie coming to grips
    with Linux ... well, I *thought* I was coming to grips with it/them). In
    the past, booting from the Xandros installation disk and selecting restore
    has worked. I made a boot disk for Debian (mkboot), re-booted from it, then
    ran the Xandros restore. Now, I can get SuSE and Xandros, but not Debian.
    All I get is a sequence of messages as follows:

    LILO 22.6.1 Loading Linux ....................

    BIOS data check successful
    Uncompressing Linux ...

    invalid compressed format (err=1)
    -- System halted.

    I can get into the Debian partitions from Xandros, but of course can't run
    GrUB or LILO from there. The Debian 3.1 Bible isn't much help, and my copy
    of Practical Linux seems to be a bit out of date when it comes to LILO or
    GrUB. I was just getting used to Debian, and that nice update system ... is
    there anything I can do short of a re-installation to get Debian booting
    again?

    I know, there's a manual somewhere, but it takes a while to get my head
    round them, if I ever do: Linux documenters aren't the clearest
    communicators in the world, nor do developers always keep their
    documentation up to date.

    I've got SuSE 10 on hda, and Xandros and Debian on hdb. Would it help to
    copy the contents of the boot partitions I made on hdb onto the boot
    partition of hda? ... if I made sure to keep the release numbers ...

    Failing that, anyone got any good pointers to readable sources of info on
    LILO/GrUB?

    Thanks, gentlepersons, for any help ...
    --
    replace nospam by/with jayo and mould respectively

  2. Re: I broke it!

    D M Walking wrote:
    > In
    > the past, booting from the Xandros installation disk and selecting restore
    > has worked.

    Well, that means you have to had a working grub or lilo config somewhere
    around.

    > I made a boot disk for Debian (mkboot), re-booted from it, then
    > ran the Xandros restore. Now, I can get SuSE and Xandros, but not Debian.

    Take the working grub or lilo config and simply reinstall it. With grub,
    this all works flawlessly with a boot-floppy and the grub install command.

    That's what I'm used to do, when I have to reinstall my Windows. Windows
    overwrites the mbr, and I have to manually reinstall grub with the
    working menu.lst that is still existing on my linux partition.

  3. Re: I broke it!

    On alt.os.linux.debian, in , "D M Walking" wrote:

    Alan

  4. Re: I broke it!

    Bernhard Kastner wrote:

    > D M Walking wrote:
    >> In
    >> the past, booting from the Xandros installation disk and selecting
    >> restore has worked.

    > Well, that means you have to had a working grub or lilo config somewhere
    > around.
    >
    >> I made a boot disk for Debian (mkboot), re-booted from it, then
    >> ran the Xandros restore. Now, I can get SuSE and Xandros, but not Debian.

    > Take the working grub or lilo config and simply reinstall it. With grub,
    > this all works flawlessly with a boot-floppy and the grub install command.
    >
    > That's what I'm used to do, when I have to reinstall my Windows. Windows
    > overwrites the mbr, and I have to manually reinstall grub with the
    > working menu.lst that is still existing on my linux partition.

    Thank you, I'll try it.
    --
    replace nospam by/with jayo and mould respectively

+ Reply to Thread