desktop stops working (ubuntu,ati) - Debian

This is a discussion on desktop stops working (ubuntu,ati) - Debian ; My desktop has stopped coming up. Normally Ubuntu goes through the usal device driver phase, the screen goes all "mashed" then I have my nice Ubuntu logon screen. I turn on my pc this morning and when the system tries ...

  1. desktop stops working (ubuntu,ati)

    My desktop has stopped coming up. Normally Ubuntu goes through the
    usal device driver phase, the screen goes all "mashed" then I have my
    nice Ubuntu logon screen.

    I turn on my pc this morning and when the system tries to run GDM/X my
    monitor turns off through "no signal". Last night I installed
    "gdesklets" : I have since removed them from a recovery text shell
    (same monitor btw).

    I have tried installing and reinstalling my fglrx driver (ati).

    Could someone please outline the rules for tracing logs,
    installing/uninstalling that I need to follow to (a) discover whats
    wrong at desktop start and (b) how to go about fixing it.

    thanks for any help.

  2. Re: desktop stops working (ubuntu,ati)

    In an earlier post, Walter Mitty postulated:
    > My desktop has stopped coming up. Normally Ubuntu goes through the
    > usal device driver phase, the screen goes all "mashed" then I have my
    > nice Ubuntu logon screen.
    >
    > I turn on my pc this morning and when the system tries to run GDM/X my
    > monitor turns off through "no signal". Last night I installed
    > "gdesklets" : I have since removed them from a recovery text shell
    > (same monitor btw).
    >
    > I have tried installing and reinstalling my fglrx driver (ati).
    >
    > Could someone please outline the rules for tracing logs,
    > installing/uninstalling that I need to follow to (a) discover whats
    > wrong at desktop start and (b) how to go about fixing it.
    >
    > thanks for any help.

    Problem solved.

    It seems that installation of desklets somehow corrupted my xorg.conf

    No idea how or why but a roleback fixed the problem.

+ Reply to Thread