Asus K8N Ethernet Adapter with Debian - Debian

This is a discussion on Asus K8N Ethernet Adapter with Debian - Debian ; I am trying to get the K8N Ethernet Adapter to work with various Debians. Have tried stable and testing versions. System works with Knoppix and I have found the irq to use and the base (irq=21 and io=0x4000 according to ...

  1. Asus K8N Ethernet Adapter with Debian

    I am trying to get the K8N Ethernet Adapter to work with various Debians.
    Have tried stable and testing versions.

    System works with Knoppix and I have found the irq to use and the base
    (irq=21 and io=0x4000 according to Knoppix).

    Attempts to enter the module manually (modprobe -v forcedeth irq=21
    io=0x4000) fail with the error message "no such device".

    Any ideas???

  2. Re: Asus K8N Ethernet Adapter with Debian

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:00:30 +0100, Tim Binsted wrote:

    > I am trying to get the K8N Ethernet Adapter to work with various Debians.
    > Have tried stable and testing versions.
    >
    > System works with Knoppix and I have found the irq to use and the base
    > (irq=21 and io=0x4000 according to Knoppix).
    >
    > Attempts to enter the module manually (modprobe -v forcedeth irq=21
    > io=0x4000) fail with the error message "no such device".
    >
    > Any ideas???

    I have the ASUS K8N as well and use various Debian-based distros.
    I have no problem at all with the ethernet connection on IRQ4.

    resources:
    iomemory : febfc000-febfcfff
    ioport : ec00-ec07
    irq : 4

    Just install (if not installed already) lshw
    run in a konsole; lshw -html > hardwarelist.html
    Take a look at the output.

  3. Re: Asus K8N Ethernet Adapter with Debian

    nobody wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:00:30 +0100, Tim Binsted wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to get the K8N Ethernet Adapter to work with various Debians.
    >> Have tried stable and testing versions.
    >>
    >> System works with Knoppix and I have found the irq to use and the base
    >> (irq=2curiosityx4000 according to Knoppix).
    >>
    >> Attempts to enter the module manually (modprobe -v forcedeth irq=21
    >> io=0x4000) fail with the error message "no such device".
    >>
    >> Any ideas???

    > I have the ASUS K8N as well and use various Debian-based distros.
    > I have no problem at all with the ethernet connection on IRQ4.
    >
    > resources:
    > iomemory : febfc000-febfcfff
    > ioport : ec00-ec07
    > irq : 4
    >
    > Just install (if not installed already) lshw
    > run in a konsole; lshw -html > hardwarelist.html
    > Take a look at the output.

    How can I configure this at the Debian start-up. forcedeth doesn't actually
    seem to allow me to set irq and / or io. I have grepped the binary and
    can't find any strings it could recognise.
    So how did you get the driver to load. (I suspect that Knoppix and SuSE are
    using the Nvidia driver. When I try this it works. However I would like to
    get a Debian up and running. I have had no problems with other
    distributions, both Debian based and non Debian based. This is pure
    curiousity.

  4. Re: Asus K8N Ethernet Adapter with Debian

    In message , Bill Marcum
    writes
    >On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:24:35 +0100, Tim Binsted
    > wrote:

    >So it would seem that on this kernel the forcedeth module does not
    >accept parameters to change the io or interrupt. Perhaps you should
    >look at what other interrupts and io ports are being used
    >(/proc/interrupts, /proc/ioports). If your network adapter is a PCI
    >card, you might try moving it to another slot. If it is on the
    >motherboard, maybe the BIOS setup has some options that can help.

    Or given the price of PCI ethernet cards nowadays, why not just buy a
    new ethernet card?

    --
    Jeremy Boden

  5. Re: Asus K8N Ethernet Adapter with Debian

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:24:35 +0100, Tim Binsted wrote:

    > nobody wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:00:30 +0100, Tim Binsted wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to get the K8N Ethernet Adapter to work with various Debians.
    >>> Have tried stable and testing versions.
    >>>
    >>> System works with Knoppix and I have found the irq to use and the base
    >>> (irq=2curiosityx4000 according to Knoppix).
    >>>
    >>> Attempts to enter the module manually (modprobe -v forcedeth irq=21
    >>> io=0x4000) fail with the error message "no such device".
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas???

    >> I have the ASUS K8N as well and use various Debian-based distros.
    >> I have no problem at all with the ethernet connection on IRQ4.
    >>
    >> resources:
    >> iomemory : febfc000-febfcfff
    >> ioport : ec00-ec07
    >> irq : 4
    >>
    >> Just install (if not installed already) lshw
    >> run in a konsole; lshw -html > hardwarelist.html
    >> Take a look at the output.

    > How can I configure this at the Debian start-up. forcedeth doesn't actually
    > seem to allow me to set irq and / or io. I have grepped the binary and
    > can't find any strings it could recognise.
    > So how did you get the driver to load. (I suspect that Knoppix and SuSE are
    > using the Nvidia driver. When I try this it works. However I would like to
    > get a Debian up and running. I have had no problems with other
    > distributions, both Debian based and non Debian based. This is pure
    > curiousity.

    Which distro are you trying to use ?
    All kernels in my debian-based distros are Nforce3 250GB enabled and use
    either the forcedeth or nvnet driver, so I don't have your problem. Pure
    Debian Sarge 3.1 works fine too; Knoppix and Kanotix too.

    You could instead try to use the nvnet driver (from the Nvidia package);
    install it and 'modprobe nvnet' as root. Then run ifconfig. That should
    probably do it. If your network connection works then just add nvnet to
    /etc/modules so you won't have to repeat this every time you boot: it is
    then loaded at boottime.

    But before this you should run lshw (as I mentioned before) to see what
    resources are being used by the networking part.

  6. Re: Asus K8N Ethernet Adapter with Debian

    Jeremy Boden wrote:

    > In message , Bill Marcum
    > writes
    >>On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:24:35 +0100, Tim Binsted
    >> wrote:

    >>So it would seem that on this kernel the forcedeth module does not
    >>accept parameters to change the io or interrupt. Perhaps you should
    >>look at what other interrupts and io ports are being used
    >>(/proc/interrupts, /proc/ioports). If your network adapter is a PCI
    >>card, you might try moving it to another slot. If it is on the
    >>motherboard, maybe the BIOS setup has some options that can help.
    >>

    > Or given the price of PCI ethernet cards nowadays, why not just buy a
    > new ethernet card?

    I have done that (and it works).
    However I am always fascinated by why something doesn't work (both Knoppix
    and Kubuntu work) and I want to understand why the native Debian doesn't.

+ Reply to Thread