kernel and udev/devfs - Debian

This is a discussion on kernel and udev/devfs - Debian ; I recently installed debian sarge on a bare box. I need to have framebuffers running, so I grabbed the latest kernel (2.6.14), configured it, and installed it. I get a kernel panic at pivot_root that it can't find dev/console. OK, ...

  1. kernel and udev/devfs

    I recently installed debian sarge on a bare box.

    I need to have framebuffers running, so I grabbed the latest kernel
    (2.6.14), configured it, and installed it.

    I get a kernel panic at pivot_root that it can't find dev/console.

    OK, so I grab the latest debian testing 2.6.12 kernel, configure it, and
    install it. Same thing.

    I have udev installed, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to
    get the correct initird made. I've installed yaird, but now when I try
    to make-kpkg I get a whole slew of unresolved symbols in the freshly
    built modules when make-kpkg tries to make initrd....

    Could someone please clue me in? What do I need to do to go from 2.4.27
    to 2.6??? And why is this happening on my work box where I am under
    deadlines????? :-(

    TIA.....

  2. Re: kernel and udev/devfs

    > I recently installed debian sarge on a bare box.
    > I need to have framebuffers running, so I grabbed the latest kernel
    > (2.6.14), configured it, and installed it.

    > I get a kernel panic at pivot_root that it can't find dev/console.

    > OK, so I grab the latest debian testing 2.6.12 kernel, configure it,
    > and install it. Same thing.

    > I have udev installed, but I can't for the life of me figure out how
    > to get the correct initird made. I've installed yaird, but now when I
    > try to make-kpkg I get a whole slew of unresolved symbols in the
    > freshly built modules when make-kpkg tries to make initrd....

    Udev apparently does not work with yaird. See
    .

    > Could someone please clue me in? What do I need to do to go from
    > 2.4.27 to 2.6??? And why is this happening on my work box where I am
    > under deadlines????? :-(

    That happens occasionally

    --
    Neil.
    The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.

+ Reply to Thread