shell question - Debian

This is a discussion on shell question - Debian ; Is there a shell menu system for debain like the one the AS/400 had? Thank you for any info in this matter. Keyman8...

  1. shell question

    Is there a shell menu system for debain like the one the AS/400 had?

    Thank you for any info in this matter.
    Keyman8

  2. Re: shell question

    * wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:

    > Is there a shell menu system for debain like the one the AS/400 had?
    >
    > Thank you for any info in this matter.
    > Keyman8

    You assume we all know what the menu system on the AS/400 looks like/does.
    Perhaps a better explanation will yield better results.

    --
    David

  3. Re: shell question

    In message , SINNER
    writes
    >* wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:
    >
    >> Is there a shell menu system for debain like the one the AS/400 had?
    >>
    >> Thank you for any info in this matter.
    >> Keyman8
    >>

    >You assume we all know what the menu system on the AS/400 looks like/does.
    >Perhaps a better explanation will yield better results.

    He means an interface where each command is fairly strictly named,
    depending on its function. Parameters are entered as either a list of
    space delimited values or KEYWORD specified values (or a mixture of the
    two).

    As an example:-
    CPYF abc/file1 TOFILE(tolib/file2) MBROPT(*REPLACE)

    Note that an AS400 command is basically case insensitive.

    The command name is CPYF (Copy File).
    abc/file1 is a reference to a file, file1, in library abc.

    TOFILE(tolib/file2) means file2 found in library tolib

    MBROPT(*REPLACE) means that any data in file file2 should be
    overwritten.

    Default parameters are available.
    parameters can be numeric, strings, lists, lists of lists etc...
    Simple validation criteria can be specified.

    There is a facility to write your own commands, using a small number of
    command commands.

    Basically, each command is used to call a predefined program and the
    parameters are passed, in order, to the program.

    Please ask if you want to know any more - I've been working with AS400's
    for the last 20 years or so...

    --
    Jeremy Boden

  4. Re: shell question

    Jeremy Boden wrote:
    > In message , SINNER
    > writes
    >
    >> * wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:
    >>
    >>> Is there a shell menu system for debain like the one the AS/400 had?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for any info in this matter.
    >>> Keyman8
    >>>

    >> You assume we all know what the menu system on the AS/400 looks
    >> like/does.
    >> Perhaps a better explanation will yield better results.
    >>

    > He means an interface where each command is fairly strictly named,
    > depending on its function. Parameters are entered as either a list of
    > space delimited values or KEYWORD specified values (or a mixture of the
    > two).
    >
    > As an example:-
    > CPYF abc/file1 TOFILE(tolib/file2) MBROPT(*REPLACE)
    >
    > Note that an AS400 command is basically case insensitive.
    >
    > The command name is CPYF (Copy File).
    > abc/file1 is a reference to a file, file1, in library abc.
    >
    > TOFILE(tolib/file2) means file2 found in library tolib
    >
    > MBROPT(*REPLACE) means that any data in file file2 should be overwritten.

    > Default parameters are available.
    > parameters can be numeric, strings, lists, lists of lists etc...
    > Simple validation criteria can be specified.
    >
    > There is a facility to write your own commands, using a small number of
    > command commands.

    > Basically, each command is used to call a predefined program and the
    > parameters are passed, in order, to the program.
    >
    > Please ask if you want to know any more - I've been working with AS400's
    > for the last 20 years or so...

    Some stupid question:
    You can list all commands which start with a certain letter, if you type
    the letter in a csh or tcsh and press afterwards "Strg" + "d". For each
    command there is usually a man page. What else is needed?

    Cheers
    *Andreas

  5. Re: shell question

    Thank you Jeremy I conldn't have said it better.
    But I was wanting the menu system they have i.e....

    =====================================
    1. view logs 5. copy files
    2. set up network 6. word doc.
    3. xxxxxxx 7. xxxxxx
    4. xxxxxx 8. help

    Command _______________________________
    =====================================

    Some thing like that is what I'm looking for in linux shell.
    Whe i used an as/400 it had that kind of shell and it work well, even the
    new people could use it with out any problems.

    Pleas excuse my porr atemp at tring to recreat it for you here. But by what
    I've read lately seems it's going to be something i will have to write. OH
    well

    thank for the input
    Keyman8

    > In message , SINNER
    > writes
    > >* wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:
    > >
    > >> Is there a shell menu system for debain like the one the AS/400 had?
    > >>
    > >> Thank you for any info in this matter.
    > >> Keyman8
    > >>

    > >You assume we all know what the menu system on the AS/400 looks

    like/does.
    > >Perhaps a better explanation will yield better results.
    > >

    > He means an interface where each command is fairly strictly named,
    > depending on its function. Parameters are entered as either a list of
    > space delimited values or KEYWORD specified values (or a mixture of the
    > two).
    >
    > As an example:-
    > CPYF abc/file1 TOFILE(tolib/file2) MBROPT(*REPLACE)
    >
    > Note that an AS400 command is basically case insensitive.
    >
    > The command name is CPYF (Copy File).
    > abc/file1 is a reference to a file, file1, in library abc.
    >
    > TOFILE(tolib/file2) means file2 found in library tolib
    >
    > MBROPT(*REPLACE) means that any data in file file2 should be
    > overwritten.

    > Default parameters are available.
    > parameters can be numeric, strings, lists, lists of lists etc...
    > Simple validation criteria can be specified.
    >
    > There is a facility to write your own commands, using a small number of
    > command commands.

    > Basically, each command is used to call a predefined program and the
    > parameters are passed, in order, to the program.
    >
    > Please ask if you want to know any more - I've been working with AS400's
    > for the last 20 years or so...
    >
    > --
    > Jeremy Boden

+ Reply to Thread