order of eth0 and eth1 - Debian

This is a discussion on order of eth0 and eth1 - Debian ; Hi, I have 2 network cards in my system. They get recognized as eth0 and eth1. But where is it decided which network card is "eth0" and which one is "eth1" ? How can I change these aliases so eth0 ...

  1. order of eth0 and eth1

    Hi,

    I have 2 network cards in my system. They get recognized as eth0 and eth1.
    But where is it decided which network card is "eth0" and which one is "eth1"
    ? How can I change these aliases so eth0 becomes eth1 and vice versa. I
    don't want to just swap their ip numbers, rather just their names.
    On Red Hat it was the order in which the driver modules were loaded I think,
    but forgot where.

    Another, related, question is, I have an "INTEL ENTRY SERVER BOARD SE7221
    BA1-E". It comes with 2 onboard network cards, where one seems to be
    identified in de BIOS as a "GB" device.. assuming it means "GigaBit".
    I'm not sure about the hardware, but I think one of them (the GB one) is a
    10/100/1000 speed, while as the other is just 10/100 speed. I'm not sure of
    this, but the latter one gets detected and driver module e100 is loaded for
    it. There's also e1000 on the system but it doesn't get loaded and when I
    try to load it manually, it fails and says no such hardware is found.
    The lights on the other one remain off. Perhaps it's a BIOS setting..

    Last but not least, the NIC that is identified and working, is reported to
    be "10 speed, half duplex" mode. How do I change this to full duplex?

    Lisa

  2. Re: order of eth0 and eth1

    > What does "lspci" say?

    0000:04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown
    device 4361 (rev 18)
    0000:06:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
    (rev 10)

    Seems the first onboard ethernet card isn't recognized. Is supposed to be an
    Ethernet Pro 1000 I think.
    These are both on board, on the "INTEL ENTRY SERVER BOARD SE7221 BA1-E"
    motherboard.
    The linux drivers that came with that motherboard were "e100" and "e1000".
    Debian comes with both drivers, and loads the e100 for the first one, but
    refuses to load the e1000 because it doesn't find a compatible network card
    it says.

    Lisa

  3. Re: order of eth0 and eth1

    > Try /etc/modules. If both network cards use the same module, it may
    > depend on the order of the PCI slots.

    These are the only modules in that file:

    ide-cd
    ide-detect
    ide-disk
    psmouse
    sd_mod

    I don't see e100 mentioned in that file, but it is loaded.
    One of the network cards is active and lsmod shows:

    ehci-hcd 18412 0 (unused)
    i810_rng 2656 0 (unused)
    usb-uhci 23344 0 (unused)
    usbcore 62924 1 [ehci-hcd usb-uhci]
    ide-scsi 10032 0
    e100 50036 1
    mii 2464 0 [8139too]
    crc32 2912 0 [8139too]
    ide-disk 16800 0
    ide-detect 288 0 (unused)
    ide-cd 31296 0
    cdrom 29828 0 [ide-cd]
    ide-core 108568 0 [ide-scsi ide-disk ide-detect ide-cd]
    rtc 6440 0 (autoclean)
    ext3 81068 1 (autoclean)
    jbd 42468 1 (autoclean) [ext3]
    sd_mod 11756 4 (autoclean)
    megaraid 26372 2 (autoclean)
    scsi_mod 95108 3 (autoclean) [ide-scsi sd_mod megaraid]
    unix 14960 10 (autoclean)

  4. Re: order of eth0 and eth1

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:11:25 +0100, Lisa Pearlson wrote:

    > 0000:04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown
    > device 4361 (rev 18)

    ah!

    > Seems the first onboard ethernet card isn't recognized. Is supposed to be an
    > Ethernet Pro 1000 I think.

    it's supposed to need the kernel module sk98lin

    (not that I've ever seen it working up to now ...)

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : infos zur usenet-hierarchie at.*: http://www.usenet.at/

  5. Re: order of eth0 and eth1

    The motherboard came with linux drivers from intel, en they are the e100 and
    e1000 drivers.
    How do you know it need sk98lin ?

    Lisa

    "gregor herrmann" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:11:25 +0100, Lisa Pearlson wrote:
    >
    >> 0000:04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown
    >> device 4361 (rev 18)

    > ah!
    >
    >> Seems the first onboard ethernet card isn't recognized. Is supposed to be
    >> an
    >> Ethernet Pro 1000 I think.

    > it's supposed to need the kernel module sk98lin
    >
    > (not that I've ever seen it working up to now ...)
    >

    > gregor
    > --
    > .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    > : :' : infos zur usenet-hierarchie at.*: http://www.usenet.at/
    > `. `' member of https://www.vibe.at/ | how to reply:
    > http://got.to/quote/
    > `-

  6. Re: order of eth0 and eth1

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 02:38:54 +0100, Lisa Pearlson wrote:

    > The motherboard came with linux drivers from intel, en they are the e100 and
    > e1000 drivers.
    > How do you know it need sk98lin ?

    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/sk98lin.txt

    Readme File for sk98lin v6.23
    Marvell Yukon/SysKonnect SK-98xx Gigabit Ethernet Adapter family
    driver for LINUX

    1 Overview
    ===========

    The sk98lin driver supports the Marvell Yukon and SysKonnect
    SK-98xx/SK-95xx compliant Gigabit Ethernet Adapter on Linux. It has
    been tested with Linux on Intel/x86 machines.

    gregor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : infos zur usenet-hierarchie at.*: http://www.usenet.at/
    `. `' member of https://www.vibe.at/ | how to reply: http://got.to/quote/
    `-

  7. Re: order of eth0 and eth1

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:05:35 +0100, gregor herrmann
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:11:25 +0100, Lisa Pearlson wrote:
    >
    >> 0000:04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown
    >> device 4361 (rev 18)

    >ah!
    >
    >> Seems the first onboard ethernet card isn't recognized. Is supposed to be an
    >> Ethernet Pro 1000 I think.

    >it's supposed to need the kernel module sk98lin
    >
    >(not that I've ever seen it working up to now ...)
    >

    >gregor

    Just on a side note... Does anybody know why in the fork Intel put a
    Marvel Yukon chip and low power Intel ethernet chip on the same server
    board? I got bit by this one too and had to return a batch of servers
    because PXE booting off the Marvell chip was flaky.

+ Reply to Thread