X screen blanking - Debian

This is a discussion on X screen blanking - Debian ; I have an old laptop. The screen blanks after some minutes of inactivity. I want it to stay on at all times. I'm pretty sure this is an X/linux thing and not a hardware thing; I've disabled all APM in ...

  1. X screen blanking

    I have an old laptop. The screen blanks after some minutes of inactivity.
    I want it to stay on at all times.

    I'm pretty sure this is an X/linux thing and not a hardware thing; I've
    disabled all APM in the laptop and the backlight stays on. So this is
    most likely X/linux blanking the screen.

    I've tried 'xset s off' and 'xset s 84600' with no effect. After about 10
    minutes the screen blanks.

    xscreensaver is not running; there are no video timeout parameters in
    gdm.conf, so I am open to suggestions. The system is running Debian Sarge...

    TIA,

    --Yan

  2. Re: X screen blanking

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > I have an old laptop. The screen blanks after some minutes of inactivity.
    > I want it to stay on at all times.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure this is an X/linux thing and not a hardware thing; I've
    > disabled all APM in the laptop and the backlight stays on. So this is
    > most likely X/linux blanking the screen.
    >
    > I've tried 'xset s off' and 'xset s 84600' with no effect. After about 10
    > minutes the screen blanks.
    >
    > xscreensaver is not running; there are no video timeout parameters in
    > gdm.conf, so I am open to suggestions. The system is running Debian Sarge...

    In Xorg you have the following options in xorg.conf

    Option "blank time" "0" # in minutes, 0 disables
    Option "standby time" "0"
    Option "suspend time" "0"
    Option "off time" "0"

    These are set in: Section "ServerFlags"

    In the: Section "Monitor"
    You see that there aren't any line like

    Option "dpms" "on"

    If there is, remove it.

    But then debian is usually so outdated, so it prolly don't use Xorg but an old
    version of XFree86 that may or may not support this.

    //Aho

  3. Re: X screen blanking

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > But then debian is usually so outdated, so it prolly don't use Xorg but an old
    > version of XFree86 that may or may not support this.

    You're just asking to get flamed with that - but I'll refrain since your
    help was very useful.

    Clinton

    P.S. I'm running XOrg on my Debian laptop

+ Reply to Thread