Hello

I am using a custom compiled kernel 2.6.14.3 with the suspend 2 patch. I am
using udev (new to it). I just used MAKEDEV to create the nodes for sound :

MAKEDEV -v sound

It apparently created a bunch of dsp* and other nodes
under /dev/.static/dev/ (I used locate to discover this) and not
under /dev/ (where every application looks for stuff).

I created a symlink to .static/dev/dsp in /dev and chowned it to root.audio.
I am getting permission denied errors even for users in the audio group.
What does the business of putting nodes in /dev/.static/dev mean (I mean
why) and how do I get sound working on my Debian Etch (testing) system ?

Thanks.