What package do i load for sound on a tecra 8000? - Debian

This is a discussion on What package do i load for sound on a tecra 8000? - Debian ; Hello, I have a tecra 8000 with Debian Sarge installed. All is well except the sound is not working. I have googled fixes for this and most of what I have found is for Ubunta. And most of it sounds ...

  1. What package do i load for sound on a tecra 8000?

    Hello,

    I have a tecra 8000 with Debian Sarge installed. All is well except the
    sound is not working. I have googled fixes for this and most of what I
    have found is for Ubunta. And most of it sounds a bit confusing to me. I
    was hoping there might be a package I could load that might get the sound
    going.

    Thanks,
    Fred

  2. Re: What package do i load for sound on a tecra 8000?

    Frederick Wilson wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a tecra 8000 with Debian Sarge installed. All is well except the
    > sound is not working. I have googled fixes for this and most of what I
    > have found is for Ubunta. And most of it sounds a bit confusing to me. I
    > was hoping there might be a package I could load that might get the sound
    > going.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fred

    I installed the alsa packages on my tecra and then used the detect program
    and all was well.

    If the auto-detect does not work, I still have the module settings from when
    I ran slackware on my tecra and had to manually enter the irq and other
    fiddly bits.

    The only gotcha on tecra sound is one I have heard other people having,
    forgetting to turn up the volume knob on the front and wondering why there
    was no sound :-)

  3. Re: What package do i load for sound on a tecra 8000?

    kegwasher wrote:

    >Frederick Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a tecra 8000 with Debian Sarge installed. All is well except the
    >> sound is not working. I have googled fixes for this and most of what I
    >> have found is for Ubunta. And most of it sounds a bit confusing to me. I
    >> was hoping there might be a package I could load that might get the sound
    >> going.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Fred

    >I installed the alsa packages on my tecra and then used the detect program
    >and all was well.
    >
    >If the auto-detect does not work, I still have the module settings from when
    >I ran slackware on my tecra and had to manually enter the irq and other
    >fiddly bits.

    it would be great if you could post your settings... I havent been
    able to get sound goung on my tecra 8000 at all. even under Knoppix,
    which usually finds everything. I know the sound card works, as the
    machine also boots windows 98.

    keith

    >The only gotcha on tecra sound is one I have heard other people having,
    >forgetting to turn up the volume knob on the front and wondering why there
    >was no sound :-)

  4. Re: What package do i load for sound on a tecra 8000?

    >>If the auto-detect does not work, I still have the module settings from
    >>when I ran slackware on my tecra and had to manually enter the irq and
    >>other fiddly bits.

    > it would be great if you could post your settings... I havent been
    > able to get sound goung on my tecra 8000 at all. even under Knoppix,
    > which usually finds everything. I know the sound card works, as the
    > machine also boots windows 98.
    >
    > keith

    As you wish

    # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
    #
    # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.5 ---
    #
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
    alias snd-card-0 snd-card-opl3sa2
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-opl3sa2
    options snd-opl3sa2 fm_port=-1 midi_port=-1 port=0x538 wss_port=0x530
    isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5
    # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

    In order to allow alsaconf to configure my tecra I had to first load the
    opl3 module using modprobe. then alsa config found it with no problem and
    set up everything.

    good luck. I would still carry the tecra but both the built in and optional
    batteries no longer hold a charge.

  5. Re: What package do i load for sound on a tecra 8000?

    kegwasher wrote:
    >>>If the auto-detect does not work, I still have the module settings from
    >>>when I ran slackware on my tecra and had to manually enter the irq and
    >>>other fiddly bits.

    >>it would be great if you could post your settings... I havent been
    >>able to get sound goung on my tecra 8000 at all. even under Knoppix,
    >>which usually finds everything. I know the sound card works, as the
    >>machine also boots windows 98.
    >>
    >>keith
    >>

    > As you wish
    >
    > # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
    > #
    > # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.5 ---
    > #
    > alias char-major-116 snd
    > alias char-major-14 soundcore
    > alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    > alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    > alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    > alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    > alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
    > alias snd-card-0 snd-card-opl3sa2
    > alias sound-slot-0 snd-opl3sa2
    > options snd-opl3sa2 fm_port=-1 midi_port=-1 port=0x538 wss_port=0x530
    > isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5
    > # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
    >
    > In order to allow alsaconf to configure my tecra I had to first load the
    > opl3 module using modprobe. then alsa config found it with no problem and
    > set up everything.
    >

    > good luck. I would still carry the tecra but both the built in and optional
    > batteries no longer hold a charge.

    Sorry for being a rock but how do you load the op13 module and then how
    do I get this alsa to work?

    Thanks,
    Fred

+ Reply to Thread