system not booting after modprobe - Debian

This is a discussion on system not booting after modprobe - Debian ; I followed the instructions here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=344884 in order for my ubuntu system to recognise my tv card.I succesfully bought up tvtime and tuned into a few channels - all fine. The system was working fine. Following a power down and ...

  1. system not booting after modprobe

    I followed the instructions here:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=344884

    in order for my ubuntu system to recognise my tv card.I succesfully
    bought up tvtime and tuned into a few channels - all fine.

    The system was working fine.

    Following a power down and restart however, the system reaches a certain
    point in startup and the screen listing modules being loaded just starts
    scrolling up as if the ENTER key was held down. The X Windows clears the
    screen and hangs : no logon. I switch to a text terminal ctl-alt-f1 and
    can see my breezy prompt, but again its is scrolling : something in the
    device drivers is injecting what appears to be CR/LF into the tty/stdin.

    I can only boot into XP.

    Any suggestions on how I can rewind the system from either (a) XP -and
    then I will need to somehow see the ext3 file system , or (b) from a DVD
    boot of knoppix.

    All help gratefully received : I have no idea of what the modprobe has
    affected and am totally unable to log into my system in any mode whatsoever.

    regards.

  2. Re: system not booting after modprobe

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:08:11 +0100, Walter Mitty
    wrote:

    >I followed the instructions here:
    >
    >http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=344884
    >
    >in order for my ubuntu system to recognise my tv card.I succesfully
    >bought up tvtime and tuned into a few channels - all fine.
    >
    >The system was working fine.
    >
    >Following a power down and restart however, the system reaches a certain
    >point in startup and the screen listing modules being loaded just starts
    >scrolling up as if the ENTER key was held down. The X Windows clears the
    >screen and hangs : no logon. I switch to a text terminal ctl-alt-f1 and
    >can see my breezy prompt, but again its is scrolling : something in the
    >device drivers is injecting what appears to be CR/LF into the tty/stdin.
    >
    >I can only boot into XP.
    >
    >Any suggestions on how I can rewind the system from either (a) XP -and
    >then I will need to somehow see the ext3 file system , or (b) from a DVD
    >boot of knoppix.
    >
    >All help gratefully received : I have no idea of what the modprobe has
    >affected and am totally unable to log into my system in any mode whatsoever.
    >
    >regards.

    Since the only permanent change you made was the creation of a file
    under /etc/modprobe.d, I'd boot the system in single user mode and
    remove or move it out of there.

    Think it might have been created correctly? You didn't save the file
    as cx88xx I hope?

    Mucking with the kernel or its modules can get you into trouble. You
    really need to know what you're doing, and do it correctly (measure
    twice cut once kind of approach). I'd suggest going over each step in
    the procedure, using man , to gain an
    understanding on what each step really is doing.

    MT

  3. Re: system not booting after modprobe

    "Walter Mitty" wrote in message
    >I followed the instructions here:
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=344884
    >
    > in order for my ubuntu system to recognise my tv card.I succesfully bought
    > up tvtime and tuned into a few channels - all fine.
    >
    > The system was working fine.
    >
    > Following a power down and restart however, the system reaches a certain
    > point in startup and the screen listing modules being loaded just starts
    > scrolling up as if the ENTER key was held down. The X Windows clears the
    > screen and hangs : no logon. I switch to a text terminal ctl-alt-f1 and
    > can see my breezy prompt, but again its is scrolling : something in the
    > device drivers is injecting what appears to be CR/LF into the tty/stdin.
    >
    > I can only boot into XP.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how I can rewind the system from either (a) XP -and
    > then I will need to somehow see the ext3 file system , or (b) from a DVD
    > boot of knoppix.
    >
    > All help gratefully received : I have no idea of what the modprobe has
    > affected and am totally unable to log into my system in any mode
    > whatsoever.
    >
    > regards.

    Have you tried removing the card to see if you can get control booting
    again?

    I remember reading about some sort of rollback function in something.
    Perhaps you can roll back the driver or maybe locate one of it's files and
    experiment.

    At least computers aren't built like they build cars. If so, we would have
    to have an 80 pound tool chest and to get at the cards, you would have to
    get at the motherboard.

    I had the same odd keyboard behavior as you except it was in windows today,
    I had something under the keyboard enter switch, and it was just Happening
    to stick at certain times.

+ Reply to Thread