No password for Ubuntu account - Debian

This is a discussion on No password for Ubuntu account - Debian ; How do I set up an account with a null password (i.e. doesn't require blanks to be entered) in Ubuntu? I have managed to set up a proper root account (with password) and my pam.d file includes a line:- password ...

  1. No password for Ubuntu account

    How do I set up an account with a null password (i.e. doesn't require
    blanks to be entered) in Ubuntu?

    I have managed to set up a proper root account (with password) and my
    pam.d file includes a line:-

    password required pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=0 max=8 md5

    --
    Jeremy Boden

  2. Re: No password for Ubuntu account

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:03:39 +0000, Jeremy Boden wrote:

    > How do I set up an account with a null password (i.e. doesn't require
    > blanks to be entered) in Ubuntu?
    >
    > I have managed to set up a proper root account (with password) and my
    > pam.d file includes a line:-
    >
    > password required pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=0 max=8 md5

    Correction! that should read the common-password file, not the pam.d file.
    Sorry,

  3. Re: No password for Ubuntu account

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:03:39 +0000, Jeremy Boden wrote:

    > How do I set up an account with a null password (i.e. doesn't require
    > blanks to be entered) in Ubuntu?
    >
    > I have managed to set up a proper root account (with password) and my
    > pam.d file includes a line:-
    >
    > password required pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=0 max=8 md5

    sudo passwd useraccount -d

    All this does is remove the encrypted password from /etc/shadow which
    to my understanding should allow a user to login with no password. I have
    done this in Solaris where it worked but so far it's a no go in Ubuntu.
    Anyone know why?

    Chuck

+ Reply to Thread