Is it safe to upgrade these KDE packages? - Debian

This is a discussion on Is it safe to upgrade these KDE packages? - Debian ; Hello. I read that KDE v3.5 just came out recently, and I am still using v3.4. I noticed apt-get has a lot of updates for me. However, I am scared to upgrade. Is it safe? It looks like I will ...

  1. Is it safe to upgrade these KDE packages?

    Hello. I read that KDE v3.5 just came out recently, and I am still using v3.4. I noticed apt-get has a lot of
    updates for me. However, I am scared to upgrade. Is it safe? It looks like I will lose stuff (e.g.,
    guarddog, k3b, etc.) too.

    # apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    akode apt apt-utils aptitude arts artsbuilder dcoprss kaboodle kappfinder kate kaudiocreator kcoloredit
    kcontrol kcron kdat kdeadmin kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins
    kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork
    kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdeprint kdesktop kdict kdvi kfind kgamma kget
    kghostview khelpcenter kicker kiconedit klipper kmenuedit kmid kmix kmrml knewsticker kolourpaint konqueror
    konqueror-nsplugins konsole kopete kpackage kpager kpdf kpersonalizer kpf kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec krfb
    kruler kscd ksirc ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksysguardd ksysv ktip kuickshow kuser kview
    kviewshell kwifimanager kwin libarts1-mpeglib libarts1-xine libkcddb1 libkonq4 librss1 mpeglib noatun
    openoffice.org-writer secpolicy synaptic
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 88 not upgraded.

    # apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    akregator ark guarddog k3b k3blibs kaddressbook kate-plugins kaudiocreator kcalc kcharselect
    kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdeartwork-style kdeartwork-theme-window kdelibs4c2 kdelirc
    kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdessh kdeutils kdf kedit
    kfilereplace kfloppy kgpg khexedit kicker-applets kimagemapeditor kjots klaptopdaemon klinkstatus kmilo kmoon
    kommander konq-plugins korn kregexpeditor kscreensaver kscreensaver-xsavers ksig ksim ktimer ktnef ktux
    kwalletmanager kxsldbg libarts1c2 libkcal2b libkdepim1a libkleopatra0a libkmime2 libktnef1 libopenexr2c2 libsigc++-2.0-0c2 libtorrent5 libwpd8c2 licq-plugin-kde noatun-plugins rtorrent synaptic vimpart

    kdelibs4c2a libarts1c2a libopenexr2c2a libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libwpd8c2a The following packages will be
    upgraded: akode apt apt-utils aptitude arts artsbuilder dcoprss kaboodle kappfinder kate kcoloredit kcontrol
    kcron kdat kdeadmin kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics-kfile-plugins
    kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdeprint kdesktop
    kdict kdvi kfind kgamma kget kghostview khelpcenter kicker kiconedit klipper kmenuedit kmid kmix kmrml
    knewsticker kolourpaint konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kopete kpackage kpager kpdf kpersonalizer kpf
    kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec krfb kruler kscd ksirc ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksysguardd ksysv
    ktip kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell kwifimanager kwin libarts1-mpeglib libarts1-xine libkcddb1 libkonq4
    librss1 mpeglib noatun openoffice.org-writer secpolicy

    84 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 61 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 68.0MB of archives.
    After unpacking 76.2MB disk space will be freed.

    Should I just wait? Thank you in advance.
    --
    At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The Ants, line 18
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: Is it safe to upgrade these KDE packages?

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> [...]
    > kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdeprint kdesktop
    > kdict kdvi kfind kgamma kget kghostview khelpcenter kicker kiconedit klipper kmenuedit kmid kmix kmrml
    > knewsticker kolourpaint konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kopete kpackage kpager kpdf kpersonalizer kpf
    > kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec krfb kruler kscd ksirc ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksysguardd ksysv
    > ktip kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell kwifimanager kwin libarts1-mpeglib libarts1-xine libkcddb1 libkonq4
    > librss1 mpeglib noatun openoffice.org-writer secpolicy
    >
    > 84 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 61 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    > Need to get 68.0MB of archives.
    > After unpacking 76.2MB disk space will be freed.
    >

    > Should I just wait? Thank you in advance.

    Wait. The packages aren't "fully" there yet.

  3. Re: Is it safe to upgrade these KDE packages?

    In comp.windows.x.kde Clinton V. Weiss wrote:
> [...]
    > > kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdeprint kdesktop
    > > kdict kdvi kfind kgamma kget kghostview khelpcenter kicker kiconedit klipper kmenuedit kmid kmix kmrml
    > > knewsticker kolourpaint konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kopete kpackage kpager kpdf kpersonalizer kpf
    > > kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec krfb kruler kscd ksirc ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksysguardd ksysv
    > > ktip kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell kwifimanager kwin libarts1-mpeglib libarts1-xine libkcddb1 libkonq4
    > > librss1 mpeglib noatun openoffice.org-writer secpolicy
    > >
    > > 84 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 61 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    > > Need to get 68.0MB of archives.
    > > After unpacking 76.2MB disk space will be freed.
    > >

    > > Should I just wait? Thank you in advance.

    > Wait. The packages aren't "fully" there yet.

    Thanks for the quick advice. Any ideas on how long this will take to wait?
    --
    At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The Ants, line 18
    /\___/\
    ( )

+ Reply to Thread