configuring a printer via CUPS - Debian

This is a discussion on configuring a printer via CUPS - Debian ; I am following some rather long instructions on how to get my printer working. The first step is "service cups status" I have no service command, there is no service manpage, there appears to be no service in the package ...

  1. configuring a printer via CUPS

    I am following some rather long instructions on how to get my printer
    working.

    The first step is

    "service cups status"

    I have no service command, there is no service manpage, there appears to
    be no service in the package manager.

    What do I need to enable to get this functionality?

    thanks.

  2. Re: configuring a printer via CUPS

    * Walter Mitty wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:

    > I am following some rather long instructions on how to get my printer
    > working.

    > The first step is

    > "service cups status"

    Mandrake specific I believe, certainly not standard fare for all Linux
    distros.

    > I have no service command, there is no service manpage, there appears to
    > be no service in the package manager.

    man cupsd

    Try running cupsd as root from a terminal.

    --
    David
    O vôo do ovo.

  3. Re: configuring a printer via CUPS

    > I am following some rather long instructions on how to get my printer
    > working.

    > The first step is

    > "service cups status"

    > I have no service command, there is no service manpage, there appears
    > to be no service in the package manager.

    That's a Redhat (and RH derived) command.

    > What do I need to enable to get this functionality?

    /etc/init.d/cupsys status

    is one way - which will tell you whether cupsd is running or not. Type

    lpstat -t

    for more verbose information.

    > thanks.

    YW.
    --
    Neil.
    "...a most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

+ Reply to Thread