USB memory stick - Debian

This is a discussion on USB memory stick - Debian ; I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works. I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else. I am used to ...

  1. USB memory stick

    I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset

    Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works.
    I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else.

    I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    the stick.
    Even tried fdisk on it.
    TYIA
    --
    dw

  2. Re: USB memory stick

    linxlvr wrote:
    > I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >
    > Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works.
    > I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else.
    >
    > I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    > it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    > the stick.
    > Even tried fdisk on it.
    > TYIA
    > --
    > dw

    PQI 1GB USB Stick. Works like charm

  3. Re: USB memory stick

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:51:20 +0100, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

    > linxlvr wrote:
    >> I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works.
    >> I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else.
    >>
    >> I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    >> it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    >> the stick.
    >> Even tried fdisk on it.
    >> TYIA
    >> --
    >> dw
    >>

    > PQI 1GB USB Stick. Works like charm

    TY
    --
    dw

  4. Re: USB memory stick

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:20:41 -0500, linxlvr wrote:

    > I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >
    > Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works.
    > I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else.
    >
    > I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    > it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    > the stick.
    > Even tried fdisk on it.
    > TYIA

    I have a 256mb kanguru micro drive and 128mb lexar jumpdrive - no
    problems. I also use various size CF cards (8mb, 32mb, 64mb, 1gb) in two
    different USB card readers - no problems.

  5. Re: USB memory stick

    linxlvr wrote:

    > I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >
    > Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works.
    > I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else.
    >
    > I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    > it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    > the stick.
    > Even tried fdisk on it.
    > TYIA
    > --
    > dw

    I had a SanDisk that went bad with similar syptoms. They sent me a warranty
    replacement. We have several at work so I knew that others of the same
    model worked with my PC. So maybe you have a defective one. We have
    switched to Kingston, I believe they are called traverler elite, because
    they are password protected.

  6. Re: USB memory stick

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:21:13 +0000, Meat Loaf wrote:

    > linxlvr wrote:
    >
    >> I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works.
    >> I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else.
    >>
    >> I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    >> it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    >> the stick.
    >> Even tried fdisk on it.
    >> TYIA
    >> --
    >> dw

    > I had a SanDisk that went bad with similar syptoms. They sent me a warranty
    > replacement. We have several at work so I knew that others of the same
    > model worked with my PC. So maybe you have a defective one. We have
    > switched to Kingston, I believe they are called traverler elite, because
    > they are password protected.

    TY. I had considered this. It works on M$ at the job though, so I think it
    might be ok. Either that or windoz is ignoring a prob that linux is
    catching w/ fat or sectors or some such thing. Thanks again.
    --
    dw

  7. Re: USB memory stick

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:42:39 -0700, ray wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:20:41 -0500, linxlvr wrote:
    >
    >> I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works.
    >> I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else.
    >>
    >> I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    >> it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    >> the stick.
    >> Even tried fdisk on it.
    >> TYIA

    > I have a 256mb kanguru micro drive and 128mb lexar jumpdrive - no
    > problems. I also use various size CF cards (8mb, 32mb, 64mb, 1gb) in two
    > different USB card readers - no problems.

    TY, I now have a sizeable list to choose from.

  8. Re: USB memory stick

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:20:41 -0500, linxlvr wrote:

    > I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >
    > Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily works.
    > I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something else.
    >
    > I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    > it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    > the stick.
    > Even tried fdisk on it.

    Sorry to come late to the thread, but I have had to reformat several
    sticks to make them work cleanly with Linux. Your dmesg output might
    reveal the difficulty. MS-Windows seems very forgiving of badly formatted
    sticks and weird partitioning (the one I've seen most is partition
    boundaries not matching what is written in the partition table).

    I prefer to use "cfdisk -z /dev/sda" (or /dev/sdb etc) once it looks like
    things need fixing.

    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m

  9. Re: USB memory stick

    linxlvr wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:42:39 -0700, ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:20:41 -0500, linxlvr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >>>
    >>> Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily
    >>> works. I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something
    >>> else.
    >>>
    >>> I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system
    >>> sees it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the
    >>> fs on the stick.
    >>> Even tried fdisk on it.
    >>> TYIA

    >> I have a 256mb kanguru micro drive and 128mb lexar jumpdrive - no
    >> problems. I also use various size CF cards (8mb, 32mb, 64mb, 1gb) in two
    >> different USB card readers - no problems.

    > TY, I now have a sizeable list to choose from.

    Just for a bit of info. I also had a memory card where linux reported
    something wrong but windows read it fine. After several months the card's
    file system became corrupted and unreadable. After reformating it fat32
    using linux it has now run without problem in my nokia phone and is
    readable using both windows and linux with no read errors reported.

  10. Re: USB memory stick

    kegwasher wrote:

    > linxlvr wrote:

    >>> I have a 256mb kanguru micro drive and 128mb lexar jumpdrive - no
    >>> problems. I also use various size CF cards (8mb, 32mb, 64mb, 1gb) in two
    >>> different USB card readers - no problems.

    >> TY, I now have a sizeable list to choose from.

    > Just for a bit of info. I also had a memory card where linux reported
    > something wrong but windows read it fine. After several months the card's
    > file system became corrupted and unreadable. After reformating it fat32
    > using linux it has now run without problem in my nokia phone and is
    > readable using both windows and linux with no read errors reported.

    TY, tried it w/ fdisk, wouldn't work still.
    --
    dw

  11. Re: USB memory stick

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:20:41 -0500, linxlvr wrote:
    >
    >> I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily
    >> works. I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something
    >> else.
    >>
    >> I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    >> it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    >> the stick.
    >> Even tried fdisk on it.

    > Sorry to come late to the thread, but I have had to reformat several
    > sticks to make them work cleanly with Linux. Your dmesg output might
    > reveal the difficulty. MS-Windows seems very forgiving of badly formatted
    > sticks and weird partitioning (the one I've seen most is partition
    > boundaries not matching what is written in the partition table).
    >
    > I prefer to use "cfdisk -z /dev/sda" (or /dev/sdb etc) once it looks like
    > things need fixing.

    TY, I'll try that as I had only tried fdisk so far. Will post results.
    --
    dw

  12. Re: USB memory stick

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:20:41 -0500, linxlvr wrote:
    >
    >> I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily
    >> works. I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something
    >> else.
    >>
    >> I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system sees
    >> it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the fs on
    >> the stick.
    >> Even tried fdisk on it.

    > Sorry to come late to the thread, but I have had to reformat several
    > sticks to make them work cleanly with Linux. Your dmesg output might
    > reveal the difficulty. MS-Windows seems very forgiving of badly formatted
    > sticks and weird partitioning (the one I've seen most is partition
    > boundaries not matching what is written in the partition table).
    >
    > I prefer to use "cfdisk -z /dev/sda" (or /dev/sdb etc) once it looks like
    > things need fixing.

    Did this, but still doesn't work. Don't I need to also format this?
    something like mke2fs -j for ext3, but what to do on fat32. TYIA.
    --
    dw

  13. Re: USB memory stick

    linxlvr wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:20:41 -0500, linxlvr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >>>
    >>> Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily
    >>> works. I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something
    >>> else.
    >>>
    >>> I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system
    >>> sees it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the
    >>> fs on the stick.
    >>> Even tried fdisk on it.

    >> Sorry to come late to the thread, but I have had to reformat several
    >> sticks to make them work cleanly with Linux. Your dmesg output might
    >> reveal the difficulty. MS-Windows seems very forgiving of badly
    >> formatted sticks and weird partitioning (the one I've seen most is
    >> partition boundaries not matching what is written in the partition
    >> table).
    >>
    >> I prefer to use "cfdisk -z /dev/sda" (or /dev/sdb etc) once it looks like
    >> things need fixing.
    >>

    > Did this, but still doesn't work. Don't I need to also format this?
    > something like mke2fs -j for ext3, but what to do on fat32. TYIA.

    I'm sorry, ignore above post. Already using mkdosfs. One of those early
    mornings following a sleepless night. :-)
    --
    dw

  14. Re: USB memory stick

    linxlvr wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:20:41 -0500, linxlvr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I run etch, 2.6.12 kernel. 2.8ghz AMD 32bit CPU, nvidia chipset
    >>>
    >>> Can someone suggest a reliable, easily gotten usbstick that readily
    >>> works. I have a memorex 2.0 that won't work, and wish to try something
    >>> else.
    >>>
    >>> I am used to usb storage, as that is how my camera mounts. My system
    >>> sees it (the stick), just it is convinced that something is wrong w/ the
    >>> fs on the stick.
    >>> Even tried fdisk on it.

    >> Sorry to come late to the thread, but I have had to reformat several
    >> sticks to make them work cleanly with Linux. Your dmesg output might
    >> reveal the difficulty. MS-Windows seems very forgiving of badly
    >> formatted sticks and weird partitioning (the one I've seen most is
    >> partition boundaries not matching what is written in the partition
    >> table).
    >>
    >> I prefer to use "cfdisk -z /dev/sda" (or /dev/sdb etc) once it looks like
    >> things need fixing.
    >>

    > TY, I'll try that as I had only tried fdisk so far. Will post results.

    Seems to be working at this point. Will not be able to try it until back to
    work on Jan 3rd. No M$ machines to be found here. What a shame. :-)

    "cfdisk -z /dev/sda"
    deleted present partition
    Made new partition
    mkdosfs -c /dev/sda1
    mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1

    Thanks again to all who replied.
    --
    dw

  15. Re: USB memory stick

    8><------------------------------

    8><-------------------------------
    > Seems to be working at this point. Will not be able to try it until back
    > to work on Jan 3rd. No M$ machines to be found here. What a shame. :-)
    >
    > "cfdisk -z /dev/sda"
    > deleted present partition
    > Made new partition
    > mkdosfs -c /dev/sda1
    > mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1

    This did work, ended up called in for an "emergency" and tried it out. TY
    again everyone.

    > Thanks again to all who replied.

    --
    dw