Still can't do services? Ubuntu oriented - Debian

This is a discussion on Still can't do services? Ubuntu oriented - Debian ; I always have a problem with services on linux distros. Gentoo was the easiest thus far. Just drop everything into the init.d directory. Anyway, with ubuntu(debian style os?). How do I setup a service. For example; I am setting up ...

  1. Still can't do services? Ubuntu oriented

    I always have a problem with services on linux distros. Gentoo was the
    easiest thus far. Just drop everything into the init.d directory.

    Anyway, with ubuntu(debian style os?). How do I setup a service. For
    example; I am setting up tomcat.

    I have placed the start/stop script in init.d I can start the same
    script manually; but I can't get the service to start on reboot or
    shutdown/boot.

    What am I missing.

    I have placed sym links in the rc[0-6] directories but still no dice.

    I even used the update-rc.d directory and nothing. I checked the
    permissions and other stuff.

    My only thought is that is not liked by the service startup. I only
    have 'start' 'stop' do I need other cases?

  2. Re: Still can't do services? Ubuntu oriented

    ramzabean wrote:
    > I always have a problem with services on linux distros. Gentoo was the
    > easiest thus far. Just drop everything into the init.d directory.
    >
    > Anyway, with ubuntu(debian style os?). How do I setup a service. For
    > example; I am setting up tomcat.
    >
    > I have placed the start/stop script in init.d I can start the same
    > script manually; but I can't get the service to start on reboot or
    > shutdown/boot.
    >
    > What am I missing.
    >
    > I have placed sym links in the rc[0-6] directories but still no dice.
    >
    > I even used the update-rc.d directory and nothing. I checked the
    > permissions and other stuff.
    >
    > My only thought is that is not liked by the service startup. I only
    > have 'start' 'stop' do I need other cases?

    Look up update-rc.d

    update-rc.d scriptname.sh defaults

    will add it to the start/stops for each runlevel

  3. Re: Still can't do services? Ubuntu oriented

    Still not working. I did just that.

+ Reply to Thread