Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X - Debian ; I have Debian 3.1 installed The graphical desktop doesnt load : I dont know which one is configured be default. How do I configure this from command line? My wireless router is not configured : how do I go about ...

  1. Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    I have Debian 3.1 installed

    The graphical desktop doesnt load : I dont know which one is configured
    be default. How do I configure this from command line?

    My wireless router is not configured : how do I go about this?

    because I cant get web, how do I get an ATI linux driver onto my file
    system?

    My wireless USB mouse is not seen? How do I got about this?

    many thanks for any pointrs to FAQs and/pr solutions.

  2. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    Walter Mitty wrote:

    > I have Debian 3.1 installed
    >
    > The graphical desktop doesnt load : I dont know which one is configured
    > be default. How do I configure this from command line?
    >
    > My wireless router is not configured : how do I go about this?
    >
    > because I cant get web, how do I get an ATI linux driver onto my file
    > system?
    >
    > My wireless USB mouse is not seen? How do I got about this?
    >
    > many thanks for any pointrs to FAQs and/pr solutions.

    USB issues are solved : I used a USB dock - that doesnt work. The
    devices are nor plugged durectly and in and I have mouse. OK, the
    keyboard< doesnt work half the time in the GRUB loader, but 50% will do
    for now...

    All that remains is to configure my WLAN card.

    It is not seen/configured directly : a quick google tells me to get the
    card "ID" - what is the card "ID"? Windows and "lspci" report a plethora
    of attributes none of which is directly named its "ID".

    Any help appreciated.

  3. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    I do not recall how to get the ID but I can tell you this; for the past
    week I have been trying to get my wlan to work. I had to use
    ndiswrapper. Check http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

    Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Although I have not gotten
    my card to completely work yet at least Linux knows it's there now.

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    > Walter Mitty wrote:
    >

    >> I have Debian 3.1 installed
    >>
    >> The graphical desktop doesnt load : I dont know which one is
    >> configured be default. How do I configure this from command line?
    >>
    >> My wireless router is not configured : how do I go about this?
    >>
    >> because I cant get web, how do I get an ATI linux driver onto my file
    >> system?
    >>
    >> My wireless USB mouse is not seen? How do I got about this?
    >>
    >> many thanks for any pointrs to FAQs and/pr solutions.
    >>

    > USB issues are solved : I used a USB dock - that doesnt work. The
    > devices are nor plugged durectly and in and I have mouse. OK, the
    > keyboard< doesnt work half the time in the GRUB loader, but 50% will do
    > for now...
    >
    > All that remains is to configure my WLAN card.
    >
    > It is not seen/configured directly : a quick google tells me to get the
    > card "ID" - what is the card "ID"? Windows and "lspci" report a plethora
    > of attributes none of which is directly named its "ID".
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

  4. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    Frederick Wilson wrote:
    > I do not recall how to get the ID but I can tell you this; for the past
    > week I have been trying to get my wlan to work. I had to use
    > ndiswrapper. Check http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
    >
    > Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Although I have not gotten
    > my card to completely work yet at least Linux knows it's there now.

    Anyone thats says any versions of Linux are ready for prime time home
    users is clearly deranged.

    Installing debian from the boot DVDs has been excruciatingly painful
    from start to finish.

  5. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    In message <3ughvhF1124ftU1@uni-berlin.de>, Walter Mitty
    writes
    >Frederick Wilson wrote:
    >> I do not recall how to get the ID but I can tell you this; for the
    >>past week I have been trying to get my wlan to work. I had to use
    >>ndiswrapper. Check http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
    >> Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Although I have not
    >>gotten my card to completely work yet at least Linux knows it's there
    >>now.
    >>

    >Anyone thats says any versions of Linux are ready for prime time home
    >users is clearly deranged.
    >
    >Installing debian from the boot DVDs has been excruciatingly painful
    >from start to finish.

    Why?

    I'm basically from a Windows background but I've loaded Mandriva, Debian
    and Ubuntu (at different times). I had no problems with any of them.

    If you can type a few IP addresses, when prompted, then you should have
    no problems.

    --
    Jeremy Boden

  6. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    Jeremy Boden wrote:
    > In message <3ughvhF1124ftU1@uni-berlin.de>, Walter Mitty
    > writes
    >
    >> Frederick Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do not recall how to get the ID but I can tell you this; for the
    >>> past week I have been trying to get my wlan to work. I had to use
    >>> ndiswrapper. Check http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
    >>> Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Although I have not
    >>> gotten my card to completely work yet at least Linux knows it's
    >>> there now.
    >>>

    >> Anyone thats says any versions of Linux are ready for prime time home
    >> users is clearly deranged.
    >>
    >> Installing debian from the boot DVDs has been excruciatingly painful
    >> from start to finish.
    >>

    > Why?
    >
    > I'm basically from a Windows background but I've loaded Mandriva, Debian
    > and Ubuntu (at different times). I had no problems with any of them.
    >
    > If you can type a few IP addresses, when prompted, then you should have
    > no problems.

    Its damn hard to type IP addresses because the installer doesnt see your
    USB keyboard. Its damn hard to type IP addresses when GRUB
    intermittently refuses to see a USB kbd. Its damn hard to type IP
    addresses because X configures itself wrong and I cant see a desktop.
    Its damn hard to type a few IP addresses when the installation had
    totally failed to see the wireless lan card.

    Other than that you could be right.

  7. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    > Jeremy Boden wrote:
    >
    >> In message <3ughvhF1124ftU1@uni-berlin.de>, Walter Mitty
    >> writes

    >>> Anyone thats says any versions of Linux are ready for prime time home
    >>> users is clearly deranged.
    >>>
    >>> Installing debian from the boot DVDs has been excruciatingly painful
    >>> from start to finish.
    >>>

    >> Why?
    >>
    >> I'm basically from a Windows background but I've loaded Mandriva,
    >> Debian and Ubuntu (at different times). I had no problems with any of
    >> them.
    >>
    >> If you can type a few IP addresses, when prompted, then you should
    >> have no problems.
    >>

    > Its damn hard to type IP addresses because the installer doesnt see your
    > USB keyboard. Its damn hard to type IP addresses when GRUB
    > intermittently refuses to see a USB kbd. Its damn hard to type IP
    > addresses because X configures itself wrong and I cant see a desktop.
    > Its damn hard to type a few IP addresses when the installation had
    > totally failed to see the wireless lan card.
    >
    > Other than that you could be right.

    I tried a live boot Knoppix dvd : works fine. Except for the wireless :
    it detects the device but doesnt let me talk to the router. Any suggestions?

  8. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:14:14 +0100, Walter Mitty
    wrote:

    >Walter Mitty wrote:
    >> Jeremy Boden wrote:
    >>
    >>> In message <3ughvhF1124ftU1@uni-berlin.de>, Walter Mitty
    >>> writes

    >>> Why?
    >>>
    >>> I'm basically from a Windows background but I've loaded Mandriva,
    >>> Debian and Ubuntu (at different times). I had no problems with any of
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> If you can type a few IP addresses, when prompted, then you should
    >>> have no problems.
    >>>

    >> Its damn hard to type IP addresses because the installer doesnt see your
    >> USB keyboard. Its damn hard to type IP addresses when GRUB
    >> intermittently refuses to see a USB kbd. Its damn hard to type IP
    >> addresses because X configures itself wrong and I cant see a desktop.
    >> Its damn hard to type a few IP addresses when the installation had
    >> totally failed to see the wireless lan card.
    >>
    >> Other than that you could be right.

    >I tried a live boot Knoppix dvd : works fine. Except for the wireless :
    >it detects the device but doesnt let me talk to the router. Any suggestions?

    Try a few other distros or get another computer. I've never had any
    issues installing redhat, fedora, debian, ubuntu on my IBM netvistas
    and thinkcentres, nor the nforce2/geforce2/3 AMD systems I've used.
    Ubuntu seems to be pretty easy to install. Knoppix is debian based,
    but debian is probably the most difficult to install of them all,
    especially on new hardware (debian prides itself on being stable,
    which means the latest versions of everything are older and may not
    see or work with newer hardware at all) - though much easier than it
    used to be before sarge.

    I would give fedora a try, though I don't run it myself anymore
    because I like debian so much better, and wanted to get away from the
    redhat proprietary way of doing things. Fedora will use the most
    current kernels and packages available. There are other distros which
    may be even better, but redhat and debian based distros are the only
    ones I have experience with.

    Wireless is always tricky on *nix. I suggest you do some research on
    what drivers are included in distros kernel (I know that Fedora has
    the prism54 driver built into the kernel, but I've never tried to run
    it) or go the ndiswrapper route if you don't want to buy a new
    wireless adapter that will work out of the box.

    Lastly, you seem to be pissed off that Linux is not easy. No *nix
    distro will be as easy as windows is to setup and configure (if you
    find the right distro/hardware combo it can be as easy to install).
    That's not *nix's fault. Most manufacturers don't write linux drivers
    for their hardware, and distros don't supply them if they do because
    of licensing issues. If you want something to run out of the box, buy
    windows. If you want instant self-gratification - windows is what you
    want. You want a project, download a bunch of different *nix distros
    and experiment until you find the one that works for you, and be ready
    to *read* a lot and ask a lot of questions afterwards. Bitching about
    how *nix isn't easy like windows isn't going to get you much help.

    MT

    Linux - some assembly required

  9. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    Michael Thomas wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:14:14 +0100, Walter Mitty
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Walter Mitty wrote:

    >>>Its damn hard to type IP addresses because the installer doesnt see your
    >>>USB keyboard. Its damn hard to type IP addresses when GRUB
    >>>intermittently refuses to see a USB kbd. Its damn hard to type IP
    >>>addresses because X configures itself wrong and I cant see a desktop.
    >>>Its damn hard to type a few IP addresses when the installation had
    >>>totally failed to see the wireless lan card.
    >>>
    >>>Other than that you could be right.

    >>I tried a live boot Knoppix dvd : works fine. Except for the wireless :
    >>it detects the device but doesnt let me talk to the router. Any suggestions?

    > Try a few other distros or get another computer. I've never had any
    > issues installing redhat, fedora, debian, ubuntu on my IBM netvistas
    > and thinkcentres, nor the nforce2/geforce2/3 AMD systems I've used.
    > Ubuntu seems to be pretty easy to install. Knoppix is debian based,
    > but debian is probably the most difficult to install of them all,
    > especially on new hardware (debian prides itself on being stable,
    > which means the latest versions of everything are older and may not
    > see or work with newer hardware at all) - though much easier than it
    > used to be before sarge.
    >
    > I would give fedora a try, though I don't run it myself anymore
    > because I like debian so much better, and wanted to get away from the
    > redhat proprietary way of doing things. Fedora will use the most
    > current kernels and packages available. There are other distros which
    > may be even better, but redhat and debian based distros are the only
    > ones I have experience with.
    >
    > Wireless is always tricky on *nix. I suggest you do some research on
    > what drivers are included in distros kernel (I know that Fedora has
    > the prism54 driver built into the kernel, but I've never tried to run
    > it) or go the ndiswrapper route if you don't want to buy a new
    > wireless adapter that will work out of the box.
    >
    > Lastly, you seem to be pissed off that Linux is not easy. No *nix
    > distro will be as easy as windows is to setup and configure (if you
    > find the right distro/hardware combo it can be as easy to install).
    > That's not *nix's fault. Most manufacturers don't write linux drivers
    > for their hardware, and distros don't supply them if they do because
    > of licensing issues. If you want something to run out of the box, buy
    > windows. If you want instant self-gratification - windows is what you
    > want. You want a project, download a bunch of different *nix distros
    > and experiment until you find the one that works for you, and be ready
    > to *read* a lot and ask a lot of questions afterwards. Bitching about
    > how *nix isn't easy like windows isn't going to get you much help.
    >
    > MT
    >
    > Linux - some assembly required

    Thanks for the detailed response.

    Yes : I was getting p****d off. In the end I installed UBUNTU. It
    installed everyhting perfectly : wireless, monitor, display, wireless
    mouse/kbd.

    I had no precocceptions that it would be particularly easy : yet I didnt
    expect it would be so hit & miss though. The debian installer was
    absolutely rubbish. It kept doing something with my HW which then
    disabled my USB kbd until a good power off period had elapsed - that is
    now solved. I selected certain standards/defaults and they simply didnt
    work. Sure, I can understand that maybe my HW combo was "unlucky" - but
    in no way is the installer for base Debian ready for prime time.

    I used Unix ages ago as a systems programmer and wanted to rekindle my
    own interest : Ubuntu has now given me the platform to do that.

    regards.

  10. Re: Debian 3.1 : mouse, internet and X

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:15:14 +0100, Walter Mitty
    wrote:

    >Michael Thomas wrote:

    >> Linux - some assembly required

    >Thanks for the detailed response.
    >
    >Yes : I was getting p****d off. In the end I installed UBUNTU. It
    >installed everyhting perfectly : wireless, monitor, display, wireless
    >mouse/kbd.

    Excellent. By default I believe it installs the 2.6 kernel and most
    current modules/drivers/etc., and it's still debian underneath. If
    you feel like learning about what drives the distro and who is behind
    it, read up on it because it's a true feel-good story.

    >I had no precocceptions that it would be particularly easy : yet I didnt
    >expect it would be so hit & miss though. The debian installer was
    >absolutely rubbish. It kept doing something with my HW which then
    >disabled my USB kbd until a good power off period had elapsed - that is
    >now solved. I selected certain standards/defaults and they simply didnt
    >work. Sure, I can understand that maybe my HW combo was "unlucky" - but
    >in no way is the installer for base Debian ready for prime time.

    Debian isn't for beginners. It's like your first alcoholic drink
    being straight whiskey (BSD is moonshine, btw), where as
    Ubuntu/Fedora, and the like, are apple wine or beer. One goes down
    easy and the other doesn't. Thing is, after time and a few belts
    under you, you develop a taste for straight Debian. I've run *nix for
    about 6 years now, starting with Slackware, then Redhat/Fedora, and
    now Debian. A co-worker turned me onto it and I plan on staying with
    it. I really like being able to install just the packages I want, and
    Debian is really easy to do that with. I usually just do a minimal
    install without X, and use apt to install, then upgrade, the rest of
    the packages I decide to run. With apt-get installing and dpkg -P
    removing, I can setup an env. that's running just what I want.

    If you really dig in and learn *nix, down the road you may want to try
    Debian again. Then again, you may be happy with Ubuntu. It certainly
    is an appealing distro, and you should be able to admin it like any
    other debian box I'd assume.

    >I used Unix ages ago as a systems programmer and wanted to rekindle my
    >own interest : Ubuntu has now given me the platform to do that.
    >
    >regards.

    Glad you got it going. Enjoy.

    MT

    Linux - some assembly required.