Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie - Debian

This is a discussion on Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie - Debian ; This is about the 4th time I've tried to install Linux in that past couple of years. Something always seems to go wrong, no matter what distro I use, but I really want to get it working. I've just installed ...

  1. Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    This is about the 4th time I've tried to install Linux in that past
    couple of years. Something always seems to go wrong, no matter what
    distro I use, but I really want to get it working.

    I've just installed Debian 3.1 sarge and all seemed to go OK

    but when I boot up, I get told that the X server (graphical interface)
    can't run because of Xfree86 settings. Then I'm told to restart GDM when
    it is configured properly.

    I can then log in on the command line, but that's it.

    I came from the old days of DOS, so I'm not scared of a command line,
    but I know NOTHING about Linux commands.

    I searched the net, and found this command:

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

    but nothing that I do in there seems to work.

    Can anyone help and tell me in plain English what to do?
    I understand that ATI do linux drivers, but I have no idea how I would
    get a file onto the Linux file system without being in Linux, never mind
    how I'd go about installing anything without a GUI.

    I'm using an X1000 with a ATI Mobility Radion 9200, 64MB. It's running
    at 1280x800.

    I'd LOVE to get this up and running. Please help!!

    Damian

  2. Re: Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:04:38 +0000, Damian wrote:

    > This is about the 4th time I've tried to install Linux in that past
    > couple of years. Something always seems to go wrong, no matter what
    > distro I use, but I really want to get it working.
    >
    > I've just installed Debian 3.1 sarge and all seemed to go OK
    >
    > but when I boot up, I get told that the X server (graphical interface)
    > can't run because of Xfree86 settings. Then I'm told to restart GDM when
    > it is configured properly.
    >
    > I can then log in on the command line, but that's it.
    >
    > I came from the old days of DOS, so I'm not scared of a command line,
    > but I know NOTHING about Linux commands.
    >
    > I searched the net, and found this command:
    >
    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    >
    > but nothing that I do in there seems to work.
    >
    > Can anyone help and tell me in plain English what to do?
    > I understand that ATI do linux drivers, but I have no idea how I would
    > get a file onto the Linux file system without being in Linux, never mind
    > how I'd go about installing anything without a GUI.
    >
    > I'm using an X1000 with a ATI Mobility Radion 9200, 64MB. It's running
    > at 1280x800.
    >
    > I'd LOVE to get this up and running. Please help!!
    >
    > Damian

    1) look for the X log in /var/log - I'm using xorg instead of xf86, I
    don't recall the name of the exact file; for xorg it is Xorg.0.log. Do
    'more' on that file and you'll be able to see what the xserver did before
    it crashed. That may give you some info, and you might want to post that
    file.

    2) in you config file '/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' you may want to try 'vesa'
    for the graphic card device instead of what it is - just to see if you can
    get it going - also check that the highest resolution for the default
    depth is no more than 1024x768.

    3) you can run 'startx' from the command line to check it out. Then go
    back to step 1).

  3. Re: Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    Damian wrote:

    > This is about the 4th time I've tried to install Linux in that past
    > couple of years. Something always seems to go wrong, no matter what
    > distro I use, but I really want to get it working.
    >
    > I've just installed Debian 3.1 sarge and all seemed to go OK
    >
    > but when I boot up, I get told that the X server (graphical interface)
    > can't run because of Xfree86 settings. Then I'm told to restart GDM when
    > it is configured properly.

    i'm running debian sage too, i usually just configure X with the
    command "X -configure" as root, that'll probe the hardware.
    (you can get back out of the X screen with crtl-alt-backspace ).

    you may have to set the mouse by hand and put in your preferred screen
    resolution... after you copied /root/XF86Config.new to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    a good place to look for errors is /var/log/XFree86.0.log

    i've got debian sage on about 6 different machines , all flawless.

    --
    acd

  4. Re: Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:04:38 +0000, Damian wrote:

    > This is about the 4th time I've tried to install Linux in that past
    > couple of years. Something always seems to go wrong, no matter what
    > distro I use, but I really want to get it working.
    >
    > I've just installed Debian 3.1 sarge and all seemed to go OK
    >
    > but when I boot up, I get told that the X server (graphical interface)
    > can't run because of Xfree86 settings. Then I'm told to restart GDM when
    > it is configured properly.
    >
    > I can then log in on the command line, but that's it.
    >
    > I came from the old days of DOS, so I'm not scared of a command line,
    > but I know NOTHING about Linux commands.
    >
    > I searched the net, and found this command:
    >
    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    >
    > but nothing that I do in there seems to work.
    >
    > Can anyone help and tell me in plain English what to do?
    > I understand that ATI do linux drivers, but I have no idea how I would
    > get a file onto the Linux file system without being in Linux, never mind
    > how I'd go about installing anything without a GUI.
    >
    > I'm using an X1000 with a ATI Mobility Radion 9200, 64MB. It's running
    > at 1280x800.
    >
    > I'd LOVE to get this up and running. Please help!!

    Do yourself a favour, and get one of the Debian-based distros. The latest
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu, for example.

  5. Re: Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    Fossick wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:04:38 +0000, Damian wrote:
    >
    >> This is about the 4th time I've tried to install Linux in that past
    >> couple of years. Something always seems to go wrong, no matter what
    >> distro I use, but I really want to get it working.
    >>
    >> I've just installed Debian 3.1 sarge and all seemed to go OK
    >>
    >> but when I boot up, I get told that the X server (graphical interface)
    >> can't run because of Xfree86 settings. Then I'm told to restart GDM when
    >> it is configured properly.
    >>
    >> I can then log in on the command line, but that's it.
    >>
    >> I came from the old days of DOS, so I'm not scared of a command line,
    >> but I know NOTHING about Linux commands.
    >>
    >> I searched the net, and found this command:
    >>
    >> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    >>
    >> but nothing that I do in there seems to work.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help and tell me in plain English what to do?
    >> I understand that ATI do linux drivers, but I have no idea how I would
    >> get a file onto the Linux file system without being in Linux, never mind
    >> how I'd go about installing anything without a GUI.
    >>
    >> I'm using an X1000 with a ATI Mobility Radion 9200, 64MB. It's running
    >> at 1280x800.
    >>
    >> I'd LOVE to get this up and running. Please help!!

    > Do yourself a favour, and get one of the Debian-based distros. The latest
    > Ubuntu/Kubuntu, for example.

    Thanks for that Fossick (and everyone else that replied)

    I'd not heard of Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but based on the trouble I'm having
    trying to sort this, I'm going to start again with one of those. Just
    trying to decide which on now as I have no idea what the different GUI's
    are like.

    Thanks
    Damian

  6. Re: Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    Damian wrote:

    >> Do yourself a favour, and get one of the Debian-based distros. The
    >> latest
    >> Ubuntu/Kubuntu, for example.

    > Thanks for that Fossick (and everyone else that replied)
    >
    > I'd not heard of Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but based on the trouble I'm having
    > trying to sort this, I'm going to start again with one of those. Just
    > trying to decide which on now as I have no idea what the different GUI's
    > are like.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Damian

    If you have a decent internet connection, I'd recommend going with
    Ubuntu and just installing the KDE stuff (which effectively makes it
    Kubuntu) using Synaptic (ie via your internet connection) if you decide
    you want it.

    Shannon

  7. Re: Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:48:10 +0000, Damian wrote:

    > Fossick wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:04:38 +0000, Damian wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is about the 4th time I've tried to install Linux in that past
    >>> couple of years. Something always seems to go wrong, no matter what
    >>> distro I use, but I really want to get it working.
    >>>
    >>> I've just installed Debian 3.1 sarge and all seemed to go OK
    >>>
    >>> but when I boot up, I get told that the X server (graphical interface)
    >>> can't run because of Xfree86 settings. Then I'm told to restart GDM when
    >>> it is configured properly.
    >>>
    >>> I can then log in on the command line, but that's it.
    >>>
    >>> I came from the old days of DOS, so I'm not scared of a command line,
    >>> but I know NOTHING about Linux commands.
    >>>
    >>> I searched the net, and found this command:
    >>>
    >>> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    >>>
    >>> but nothing that I do in there seems to work.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help and tell me in plain English what to do?
    >>> I understand that ATI do linux drivers, but I have no idea how I would
    >>> get a file onto the Linux file system without being in Linux, never mind
    >>> how I'd go about installing anything without a GUI.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using an X1000 with a ATI Mobility Radion 9200, 64MB. It's running
    >>> at 1280x800.
    >>>
    >>> I'd LOVE to get this up and running. Please help!!

    >> Do yourself a favour, and get one of the Debian-based distros. The latest
    >> Ubuntu/Kubuntu, for example.

    > Thanks for that Fossick (and everyone else that replied)
    >
    > I'd not heard of Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but based on the trouble I'm having
    > trying to sort this, I'm going to start again with one of those. Just
    > trying to decide which on now as I have no idea what the different GUI's
    > are like.

    Google on "Distrowatch". It will give you an idea of what's available,
    including Debian.

  8. Re: Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    Shannon Lloyd wrote:
    > Damian wrote:
    >

    >>> Do yourself a favour, and get one of the Debian-based distros. The
    >>> latest
    >>> Ubuntu/Kubuntu, for example.

    >> Thanks for that Fossick (and everyone else that replied)
    >>
    >> I'd not heard of Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but based on the trouble I'm
    >> having trying to sort this, I'm going to start again with one of
    >> those. Just trying to decide which on now as I have no idea what the
    >> different GUI's are like.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Damian

    > If you have a decent internet connection, I'd recommend going with
    > Ubuntu and just installing the KDE stuff (which effectively makes it
    > Kubuntu) using Synaptic (ie via your internet connection) if you decide
    > you want it.
    >
    > Shannon

    Thanks for that, I was wondering how to use both KDE and GNOME and I'd
    not heard of Synaptic. I'll look into it.

    Do both work fine with Ubuntu? I heard one user triple booted to
    separate instillations of XP, Ubuntu and Kubunto because he didn't like
    trying to combine them. Am I likely to break one by trying to patch in
    the other?

    Damian

  9. Re: Help! Debian - xfree86 - Linux newbie

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:35:00 +0000, Damian wrote:

    > Shannon Lloyd wrote:

    >>> Thanks for that Fossick (and everyone else that replied)
    >>>
    >>> I'd not heard of Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but based on the trouble I'm
    >>> having trying to sort this, I'm going to start again with one of
    >>> those. Just trying to decide which on now as I have no idea what the
    >>> different GUI's are like.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Damian

    >> If you have a decent internet connection, I'd recommend going with
    >> Ubuntu and just installing the KDE stuff (which effectively makes it
    >> Kubuntu) using Synaptic (ie via your internet connection) if you decide
    >> you want it.
    >>
    >> Shannon

    > Thanks for that, I was wondering how to use both KDE and GNOME and I'd
    > not heard of Synaptic. I'll look into it.
    >
    > Do both work fine with Ubuntu? I heard one user triple booted to
    > separate instillations of XP, Ubuntu and Kubunto because he didn't like
    > trying to combine them. Am I likely to break one by trying to patch in
    > the other?

    That is a little misleading. Ubuntu is the Gnome version, Kubuntu is
    the KDE version. Depending on your personal preference, you pick the one
    you want. As an alternative, have a look at the latest Mepis (KDE). The
    advantage for you in these distros is that they will work for you with no
    (or minimal) configuration. Then, you can play with them and get some
    hands-on experience with a working Debian.

+ Reply to Thread